Search

Is it always this....mediocre?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Is it always this....mediocre?

This is, I admit, just venting but I may feel better at the end

Highlights of a recent UK-US trip, Y ticket upgraded to J by paying on the day each way -

FA announcements onboard -

"American airlines, we're going for average."

"For those who have the misfortune to be in the main cabin, there will be what the airline laughably calls food."

"About an hour and a half before landing, in the main cabin there will be what they tell us to describe as a continental breakfast. It's a muffin. I wouldn't bother."

(When a connection was blown and I had to take a flight the next day)

"I know you paid for an upgrade, but you have to pay again otherwise that would be stealing. You can either pay again or I can put you a London flight in coach and we keep the money."

I know I shouldn't expect the earth, but really?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Are you saying AA flight attendants said this onboard?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
To the first remarks. I assume the FA was trying to be funny. I leave it to others whether in fact it was (brutally) honest and appropriate. Personally I'd laugh it off.

To the more second serious charge.If you paid for an upgrade whether cash/miles or cash then you need to be given the choice of being re-accommodated in J or be offer a refund of miles/cash if you instead choose a flight in Y to get home on time. There's no "stealing" involved. Someone is making up the rules as they go along. I'd report that to AA.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Yes, all said on board. I didn't care massively, but it just seemed a bit inappropriate. Wouldn't make me feel great to fly in coach.

As for the upgrade, that was their comment. They clearly wanted rid of me.

I've contacted them about the "stealing" thing as saying that to a passenger was a bit out of order.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In regards to purchasing the upgrade, in bullet points, what happened?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rpjepson
Yes, all said on board. I didn't care massively, but it just seemed a bit inappropriate. Wouldn't make me feel great to fly in coach.

As for the upgrade, that was their comment. They clearly wanted rid of me.

I've contacted them about the "stealing" thing as saying that to a passenger was a bit out of order.
Unfortunately when airlines introduce things like BE and shove more seats into Y some employees will take that as "these customers don't matter, they are moochers." It's a sad state of affairs for an industry which I leave at the hands of management.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In regards to purchasing the upgrade, in bullet points, what happened?
Ok, in short order -

Bought an upgrade to J upon checking in online. Paid by cc.

Flight then missed, due to weather delay on a connection (all AA, all one PNR.)

Customer service desk initially re-routed me through London, followed by a domestic connection on BA in Y. They specifically said the TATL part was in J (I asked twice to confirm this) but said because the London flight was imminent I had to go to the gate to get my BP.

I went to the gate. The GA there said I was in Y, commented i could never have been in J as it was full.

Back to customer service desk. Same agent. Denied having told me I was re-booked in J.

I asked to fly my scheduled flight, but the following day.

Agent says ok, but you're in Y.

I asked what happened to the purchased upgrade. Agent claimed I had to buy another one, or that would be 'stealing' and the airline 'out of pocket.'
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Ok, in short order -

Bought an upgrade to J upon checking in online. Paid by cc.

Flight then missed, due to weather delay on a connection (all AA, all one PNR.)
I asked what happened to the purchased upgrade. Agent claimed I had to buy another one, or that would be 'stealing' and the airline 'out of pocket.'
The answer to this is easy-- the agent was wrong and you are owed a refund for the upgrade.
Originally Posted by https://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/merchandising/upgrades/LFBUTerms.jsp
Customers who are unable to use their purchased day of departure upgrades due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection due to a late incoming flight are eligible for a refund.
Much more here: DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd)
JDiver and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:45 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Contact customer service and ask for a refund. Be sure to mention that you did not accept a voluntary downgrade.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This is, I admit, just venting but I may feel better at the end

Highlights of a recent UK-US trip, Y ticket upgraded to J by paying on the day each way -

FA announcements onboard -

"American airlines, we're going for average."

"For those who have the misfortune to be in the main cabin, there will be what the airline laughably calls food."

"About an hour and a half before landing, in the main cabin there will be what they tell us to describe as a continental breakfast. It's a muffin. I wouldn't bother."
Just another day at the office, though "average" is probably an overstatement for AA. Going for Last would be more accurate. Did they at least make time for a 5 minute long credit card pitch at the end?

(When a connection was blown and I had to take a flight the next day)

"I know you paid for an upgrade, but you have to pay again otherwise that would be stealing. You can either pay again or I can put you a London flight in coach and we keep the money."

I know I shouldn't expect the earth, but really?
This sounds a bit odd. Probably just another AAgent who was never trained or given the option to be trained which they declined.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Contact customer service and ask for a refund. Be sure to mention that you did not accept a voluntary downgrade.
Whether the downgrade was voluntary or not seems irrelevant-- the terms I linked to in my post above indicate that the customer would be due a refund for the unused DODU because it was due to a missed connection. This is not an ambiguous situation. The OP can and should simply ask AA for a refund-- no details needed other than missed connection caused the OP not to be able to use the upgrade.
Often1, JDiver and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetrat0
Whether the downgrade was voluntary or not seems irrelevant-- the terms I linked to in my post above indicate that the customer would be due a refund for the unused DODU because it was due to a missed connection. This is not an ambiguous situation. The OP can and should simply ask AA for a refund-- no details needed other than missed connection caused the OP not to be able to use the upgrade.

It didn't, and doesn't make sense to me they couldn't just transfer the upgrade over to the next day. Surely AA's system is able to do that?

Then again, the customer service agent spent much of the interaction on her phone, so......
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Funny/joking or not, I think it’s incredibly unprofessional for FAs to go off on the airline in front of its customers like that, even if the current state of affairs is not to their liking.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by arc727
Funny/joking or not, I think it’s incredibly unprofessional for FAs to go off on the airline in front of its customers like that, even if the current state of affairs is not to their liking.
OP's experience reminds me of the very lowest days of labor relations at NW and UA, 20-odd years ago, when there was seemingly no limit to the employee snark, on the ground and in the air.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

AA have responded to my email. Refund of the first, unused upgrade fee in 10 working days and 10,000 miles.

Whether significant or not I don't know, but according to the email the miles are for my domestic connection going mech (which never got mentioned, the pilot blamed weather) rather than any of the other stuff.

A semi-happy ending.
JDiver and slpybear like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.