Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rdrnnr
This -- alas -- is accurate, and correct. But I've been flying with a garment bag for years and never had it treated even as a "personal item," indeed often boarding with carryon + pers item + garment bag.

New sheriff in town, it would appear.
I'm still waiting for the opportunity to have them check my newspaper or magazine.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had a very compliant (international-sized) rollaboard and a soft-sided garment bag. I had never before been stopped from bringing a garment bag on board with me, even in addition to a carryon and a large-ish tote bag as my personal item.
How is it very compliant - it is a yes or no thing. does it comply with the specified permitted dimensions. There is no variation between international and domestic services for carry on allowance

I won't even mention the cost of my flights, in cash plus J-to-F upgrade instruments, but this really seemed like nit-picking in extreme, to me.
I wouldn't since the cost is irrelevent
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This is key. There is no penalty, so even if your bag is disallowed, you'll be forced to check it and be in the same situation you would have been if you had checked it originally. Maybe a $25 gate check fee for all bags rejected after trying the sizer would discourage this behavior.
Agree. And one step further, its beneficial even, as you can skip the fee (assuming one isnt in a premium cabin or has status) by gate checking it.

Also, BNA - zero sizer use. Witnessed nothing grossly egregious on my flight, but as usual, 90+% of the bags were out of compliance with the sizer.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How is it very compliant - it is a yes or no thing. does it comply with the specified permitted dimensions. There is no variation between international and domestic services for carry on allowance
And there has been very little enforcement on grossly egregious behavior. Including someone with five bags a couple days ago.

So yes, we can bang the drum of a rule is a rule is a rule, but AA cant even enforce wild deviants, so pounding the rule fist rings hollow.
BLG and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I flew LAX - PHL on Friday (AA1799, the A330 service) and there were multiple announcements about enforcement, that irrespective of class of service or status your bags would be checked if they didn't fit in the sizer etc. I actually went to an adjacent gate and checked both my bag and my fiancée's bag in the sizer to make sure they both fitted with no issues. We boarded as Group 2 but for all pre-boarders, CK and Group 1 there was no actual enforcement whatsoever. Based on what we saw others bringing on I'd say that there was little if any enforcement for other groups based on both size, number of bags and lack of grumbling / complaints from anyone else.

Excellent flight too - great set of FAs who were motivated and professional.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
And there has been very little enforcement on grossly egregious behavior. Including someone with five bags a couple days ago.

So yes, we can bang the drum of a rule is a rule is a rule, but AA cant even enforce wild deviants, so pounding the rule fist rings hollow.
If on a certain flight they do enforce the carry-on policy, then that guy with five bags will be forced to check. The guy with the non-compliant Rimowa (by 0.0003 inches if you wish) will also be forced to check.
I haven't heard of a situation in which the GA or 3rd party was on a "power trip" for 1/4 inch while allowing the guy with the guitar, garment bag and backpack to get on.

You are comparing enforcement on different flights, that is inconsistent, yes.
And the rules are the rules. Not because on that flight 3 days ago they allowed the guy with the guitar (and also my non-compliant Rimowa) means that on today's flight they are going to allow any of us with the excessive carry on (guitar guy and myself).

BTW, I was at the Rimowa store recently and NONE of their bags comply with 22X14x9. They fail on width (> 14")
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
If on a certain flight they do enforce the carry-on policy, then that guy with five bags will be forced to check. The guy with the non-compliant Rimowa (by 0.0003 inches if you wish) will also be forced to check.
I haven't heard of a situation in which the GA or 3rd party was on a "power trip" for 1/4 inch while allowing the guy with the guitar, garment bag and backpack to get on.

You are comparing enforcement on different flights, that is inconsistent, yes.
And the rules are the rules. Not because on that flight 3 days ago they allowed the guy with the guitar (and also my non-compliant Rimowa) means that on today's flight they are going to allow any of us with the excessive carry on (guitar guy and myself).

BTW, I was at the Rimowa store recently and NONE of their bags comply with 22X14x9. They fail on width (> 14")
That's making a lot of assumptions. I can cite a few cases personally on a single flight where either the GA is intermittent on checking, one one GA checks and the other doesn't.

I had to sizer my backpack on one flight (it was my only piece) and the lady boarding after me waltzed on with 3 bags.
GUWonder and 84fiero like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
That's making a lot of assumptions. I can cite a few cases personally on a single flight where either the GA is intermittent on checking, one one GA checks and the other doesn't.

I had to sizer my backpack on one flight (it was my only piece) and the lady boarding after me waltzed on with 3 bags.
I'm impressed at the waltzing with three bags -

They must have been light as had they been heavy, she might have shuffled or perhaps even stumbled. Maybe the GA thought that Antarius was a celebrity with just the one backpack with the handler following behind, shleping the other baggage.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:26 pm

Weird - there's a sizer placed at SFO prior to entering security and at every gate - but no enforcement whatsoever.

CLT and MIA had sizers at every gate, as well, and it looked like the GA's were looking for larger bags, but did not have any issues getting through when boarding Group 1.

AA has done a great job of setting up for carry-on audits, but it seems like staff are not interested in enforcing it (at least for the first few boarding groups.)
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:18 pm

Yesterday on mid-morning DFW to MCO flight, very cheerful gate agent made announcement on reminder of number of carry ons and that it applied no matter when you board or your status. I saw the new sizer just by the door but did not see them have anyone try their bag in it (I boarded group 3).
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
At LGA and it was enforced on..Group 1 lol. It took about 5 mins to board the entire group 1 which normally does not need more than 2 mins. Selective audit for sure.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
At LGA and it was enforced on..Group 1 lol. It took about 5 mins to board the entire group 1 which normally does not need more than 2 mins. Selective audit for sure.
All while DL@LGA (which has more DL flights than DL has at JFK) and UA@LGA are less likely to hassle most of these very same kind of customers with the very same kind of baggage.
Spiff and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by GUWonder
All while DL@LGA (which has more DL flights than DL has at JFK) and UA@LGA are less likely to hassle most of these very same kind of customers with the very same kind of baggage.
LOL

To be fair there is a survivorship biases on my post as I don't know what's happening after I boarded. My luggage is not strictly compliant but was not selected as there are obvious other outliners there.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AA: Plat
Haven't seen it enforced yet, but did notice during the last two weeks that there was a second gate agent watching boarding with a clicker to count roller bags. Hadn't noticed this before.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Started enforcing this at LGA recently (AA employee standing in front of the TSA lines). Had to go get a supervisor to let me through, which was an annoyance to say the least. (Had a garment bag + roller board, flying in F so was hanging the bag anyways)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.