Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:53 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by alien
Last time I took a tape measure to the sizers upthread the dimensions for Carry-Ons to the outer edge of the white lines was the 22" and 14". The depth for the front inside bar to the rear wall was 10".
eta: The 10" makes sense as that's where there's the most variability from packing and hence some leeway.
That's good that the bar is actually 10" and it makes sense -- I can always put my computer inside the bag (sometimes I do) and then the 9" dimension becomes a non-issue if I have to squish the last half inch.

Since there are no bars or physical restraints on the other measurements it still can come down to what someone decides is or is not over the line -- like calling balls and strikes.

The ridiculous thing is that while we are being reduced to worrying about a quarter of an inch, I am still seeing people with outrageously oversized carry-ons being allowed to bring them aboard. The luck of the draw on enforcement.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AA100k
I’m closing in on 1 million miles with AA (and the former USAir) and I’ve never seen an AA sizer with personal item dimensions. The AA personal item dimensions (8” x 14” x 18”) are very generous and I travel with a Tumi bag of exactly those dimensions and I have never been challenged.
How often have you found that it actually doesn't fit under the seat? When they came up with those numbers, it probably usually did. With the current planes, I have to wonder.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
How often have you found that it actually doesn't fit under the seat? When they came up with those numbers, it probably usually did. With the current planes, I have to wonder.
I’ve used it on probably 30 domestic flights and it fit every time. Fortunately, the bag is totally collapsible so it can be squeezed into a tight space although that’s rarely needed.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:06 am

SJC-ORD: Saw the GA stop a group 1 pax bringing a larger size roller bag - overheard GA say “I think I already explained that this bag is too large...” After a further short discussion (overheard “they are monitoring us...”) the line was held up while GA checked the bag. It looked to me like this was the pax hoping to push it a bit by ignoring the first warning which resulted in short delay for everyone. GA action was reasonable and correct.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I tend to agree with this post. I travel with very little carry on weight. For my own comfort. I usually check one suitcase that never weighs more than 35 pounds. I want to manage easily.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jerseytom
To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American"
I’ve actually measured the AA sizer and to the top of the white line it is exactly 22.25”. This bag would not get through the AA sizer.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The offensive part of this policy for me is bringing on food to eat has been removed from the AA website as mentioned by others. Putting it in the carry-on seems like asking for trouble.

I can wear the coat or jacket if forced to avoid the GA getting in trouble. I am waiting to see the pillow/blanket aspect be tested.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
They’re already super into checking this at STL. I had a small roller bag, a computer bag, and a document tube stuffed into the roller bag (it stuck out of the top maybe 5 inches). UA/DL never have issues with this, or even carrying the small document tube.

AA stopped me with it and informed me that the tube sticking out was really three items and I needed to check it. Technically they’re right, so I can’t complain. They were exceptionally rude but that’s what I expect from their ground staff these days so whatever.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by dartagnan
They’re already super into checking this at STL. I had a small roller bag, a computer bag, and a document tube stuffed into the roller bag (it stuck out of the top maybe 5 inches). UA/DL never have issues with this, or even carrying the small document tube.

AA stopped me with it and informed me that the tube sticking out was really three items and I needed to check it. Technically they’re right, so I can’t complain. They were exceptionally rude but that’s what I expect from their ground staff these days so whatever.
I saw a virtually identical situation with a passenger in front of me in line yesterday. The gate agents were absolutely awful to the passenger, i.e., I heard, "If you want to keep flying American then get used to it". Sadly its not even the worst thing I heard an AA gate agent say this month.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by millionmiler
I saw a virtually identical situation with a passenger in front of me in line yesterday. The gate agents were absolutely awful to the passenger, i.e., I heard, "If you want to keep flying American then get used to it". Sadly its not even the worst thing I heard an AA gate agent say this month.
That comment sounds like it would have been a response to a whinge by the passenger rather than something that would have been part of informing passenger that the bag was too large in the 1st instance
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
A hardsided bag is clear cut: it either meets the dimesions or it does not. A softside bag is a little more complicated, specifically in the thickness dimension. My softside complies by spec with the frame, handles and wheels meeting 22x14x9. However, the zipper opening side bulges out from the frame a little even without anything in the bag. Fill the bag and put something on the side pocket (liquids bag, usually), and the side bulges out an inch or so from the frame making the thickness about 10". It is very easy to squeeze the thickness back to 9" but it will not stay that way. I can see the dreaded individual interpretation coming into play with one take being it either fits without the squeeze or it is not complaint. It is going to be interesting to see how fussy they are about nuances like that.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dartagnan

What do you mean, "technically"?

The GA is either right or wrong. It is binary. In this case the GA was correct, the passenger's carryon exceeded the dimensions by 5" (which is a bit under 20%) and that is the end of it.

It would surprise me if FAA does not move on to DL and UA in due course or already has.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That comment sounds like it would have been a response to a whinge by the passenger rather than something that would have been part of informing passenger that the bag was too large in the 1st instance
Ever been to PHL?
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
What do you mean, "technically"?

The GA is either right or wrong. It is binary. In this case the GA was correct, the passenger's carryon exceeded the dimensions by 5" (which is a bit under 20%) and that is the end of it.

It would surprise me if FAA does not move on to DL and UA in due course or already has.
And unless someone brings a tape measure always (which is like the stupidest thing that normal people dont do), it's not so simple.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jerseytom
To be more specific, using this product page as an example, they go so far to specify...

"The Maxlite® 5 Expandable Carry-On Hardside Spinner is designed to meet carry-on size restrictions for most domestic airlines while maximizing how much you can pack inside with its convenient 2” expansion option."

"This Carry-On bag has been sizer bin tested to accommodate overhead bin space on most major US airlines."

And yet, overall dimensions listed: H: 23in W: 14.75in D: 9in

AA / UA / DL all state 22 x 14 x 9 max. Like how could someone say, "We tested this on most of the major US airlines... just not United, Delta, or American"
AWAY says the same thing on its website. It’s measurements for the Bigger Carryon are also one inch too large. 22.7” x 14.7” x 9.6. It’s a very common bag. I imagine many people are going to be one inch too big now if they get really specific about these checks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.