Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:31 pm

Heads up Rimowa owners - even the Cabin S model exceeds the maximum dimensions allowed...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I haven't checked my new Away bag in the sizer yet (it's the larger one).
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Rimowa cabin Plus

So nervous. I travel frequently domestic and intl with this case. It’s the carry on but intl size which is a little bit larger.

my trip coming up is an e190 Lga to bos then onto Asia.

I am pretty sure the first leg will not make it. Looking for any data points on the e190s. Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Only a few other posters have touched on this but one of the biggest reasons many elites and premium customers probably don’t check a bag (even when it is free for them) is the unreasonable amount of time it takes AA to get the bags to the carousel. I’m DFW based and travel between many of the other AA hubs on a constant basis and having to routinely wait 30-45+
minutes to retrieve a checked bag is a joke.

I know it’ll never happen with Parker at the helm but maybe a baggage delivery guarantee like Delta and Alaska have in place would be nice. If your checked bags haven’t arrived within 20-25 minutes of arrival you’re given a small amount of miles or a discount code for a future flight. I know this thread is about carryon size enforcement but I feel like people would be less inclined to push the envelope on the size of their carryon bag if they could check it and retrieve it at their destination in a reasonable amount of time...
This is the exact reason why I carry on. If "most" of the time I only had to wait 20-25 minutes for my bag I'd probably check my bag more often. By the time you get off the plane, use the restroom, and head down to baggage claim you wouldn't be waiting that long. The problem is you don't know if the bag will arrive before you get to baggage claim or 45 minutes after you land. Heck, I may be the minority but I'd literally pay the baggage fee to allow me to bring on my carry on that may be a tad larger than normal. All for the convenience.

As a data point, I had 3 flights this week leaving PHX, MCI, and ORD and not one was sizing bags (at least during group 1). I have a flight on Sunday the 3rd so looking forward to seeing some data points here from tomorrow and Saturday before I make a decision on whether I'm going to risk a bag that is 2" too wide or just check. Unfortunately, I'm off to a week long trip - business then a wedding - and have to bring a suit.
AA100k likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
This is the exact reason why I carry on. If "most" of the time I only had to wait 20-25 minutes for my bag I'd probably check my bag more often. By the time you get off the plane, use the restroom, and head down to baggage claim you wouldn't be waiting that long. The problem is you don't know if the bag will arrive before you get to baggage claim or 45 minutes after you land.
While I agree that wait time on arrival is a big factor, its not the only one and even if AA had the 20min guarantee I'd still not check a bag because it requires getting to the airport earlier to meet bag check deadlines and it limits options for standby etc. Personally I target arriving to the airport 10 minutes before boarding starts, so 40 minutes before scheduled departure. With CLEAR and PreCheck I know I'll be airside in time to make boarding, and in fact I typically I end up at the gate before they've even preboards and have a few minutes to wait with the gate louse. This works for my home airport and those I travel from frequently as I know the traffic patterns and travel time well enough such that I have a high level of confidence that I'll make it. While that might sound like cutting it close, when you do the maths there's a 30 minute buffer (10min before boarding, assuming boarding starts T-30 and cut-off of T-10) for unexpected travel delays and its never (knock wood) been a problem for me. When you add up the time saved, assuming you travel a lot, its a meaningful amount of time and I attach a high value to that extra sleep time on the way out and the flexibility of not having a checked bag as much, if not more than, being able to quickly leave the airport on landing.
boerne and Spanish like this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
It was business as usual at JFK this morning.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
No enforcement that I could see in PHL in B terminal last night as I was cruising about before my flight checking things out.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Nothing in CLT at the gates I saw. Including one backpack that barely seemed like it would be allowed to be checked, let alone fit any sizer.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Only a few other posters have touched on this but one of the biggest reasons many elites and premium customers probably don’t check a bag (even when it is free for them) is the unreasonable amount of time it takes AA to get the bags to the carousel. I’m DFW based and travel between many of the other AA hubs on a constant basis and having to routinely wait 30-45+
minutes to retrieve a checked bag is a joke.

I know it’ll never happen with Parker at the helm but maybe a baggage delivery guarantee like Delta and Alaska have in place would be nice. If your checked bags haven’t arrived within 20-25 minutes of arrival you’re given a small amount of miles or a discount code for a future flight. I know this thread is about carryon size enforcement but I feel like people would be less inclined to push the envelope on the size of their carryon bag if they could check it and retrieve it at their destination in a reasonable amount of time...
On DL if your bag is not at the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival(and door opening I think), you get 1500 RDM's. It isn't automatic and you have to request the miles. Some people use it religiously and get some decent miles within a year.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
On DL if your bag is not at the carousel within 20 minutes of arrival(and door opening I think), you get 1500 RDM's. It isn't automatic and you have to request the miles. Some people use it religiously and get some decent miles within a year.
Noted, and I appreciate the fact that they have a service guarantee, and offer (modest) compensation if they don't meet that objective. But I travel every week, and many (most?) weeks, I would need to pick up a checked bag 4 or 5 times. That's a lot of waiting, especially when I'm arriving at destinations at ~midnight and have early morning meetings.
deeruck, AeRoSpaceman and Spanish like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Departed DFW yesterday. Saw no indication of bag restrictions and I was late to the gate and was with group 4 instead of 2.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Last Friday in Atlanta, they were checking bag size on a CR-900 flight. However, they always have been checking bag size on RJ’s in Atlanta.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This weekend a DYKWIA right in front of me in Group 1 boarding got pulled aside because he had this HUGE back pack stuffed to the gills with shoes stuffed on the outside holders.

They made him size it and then check it....LOL.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Nov 3, 2019 at 9:32 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: CK or bust
No more grand pianos and entire safari tent kits complete with real elephants being sneaked in via duty free

Good bye cruel over-sized baggage!
Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:12 am

At CLT today, the GA made specific mention to carry on allowance (much more than I've seen previously) and said overstuffed carry ones would be checked with the sizer and checked. The most egregious violator opted to self check before trying to checking in . A few borderline cases were asked to try the sizer or combine bags to get to two. The gate next to it had no enforcement and I noticed someone with an oversized bag go through. So as anticipated, this will be a GA dependent enforcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.