Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
Started enforcing this at LGA recently (AA employee standing in front of the TSA lines). Had to go get a supervisor to let me through, which was an annoyance to say the least. (Had a garment bag + roller board, flying in F so was hanging the bag anyways)
You didn't just say that... And this thread was just quieting down
ComplexAnalysis likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
And not delaying the boarding process. Tag the bag to the destination baggage office and have the bag fee + penalty (no waivers for class of service, status, or credit card) collected at the destination.
Yes, that will really work. Love these type of "police state" comments. You're the type of person who thinks they know what's best for everyone else, when in reality, you don't have a clue.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
AA employee standing in front of the TSA lines
What? That's crazy! That can't be sustainable.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

Especially if you're not flying on AA...
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by enviroian
What? That's crazy! That can't be sustainable.
I recall UA having contractors or employees in front of the lines to the TSA at EWR who at times made issues about cabin baggage, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that.

This kind of thing may work for a while at screening checkpoints where all the passengers are flying one airline, but when it’s a line for a checkpoint for multiple airlines, there may be issues with one airline trying to do this while inconveniencing passengers of other airlines.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Started enforcing this at LGA recently (AA employee standing in front of the TSA lines). Had to go get a supervisor to let me through, which was an annoyance to say the least. (Had a garment bag + roller board, flying in F so was hanging the bag anyways)
Which one of these was your "personal" item? A garment bag + rollaboard seems like one too many.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Which one of these was your "personal" item? A garment bag + rollaboard seems like one too many.
Sure - that's the letter of the "law", but effectively no different (in size) than having a winter coat in my arms which would then be hung in the F closet. I would argue that having a mid-size duffle and a garment bag wouldn't have caused attention even if the duffle is technically bigger than the 18x14x8 personal item size limits.

Fine with this going forward if that's how the rules will be consistently enforced, but wanted to call this out as this isn't considered business as usual for most travellers I've seen with garment bags.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
No enforcement noticed in OKC this morning.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
no enforcement today at CLT, i boarded with a compliant roller, a backpack and a cloth bag with my inflight essentials—fits in the backpack, and i was prepared to put it inside if asked. saw many others with more than two items, slightly oversized rimowa/travelpro bags, etc. (too big for the sizer, but fit in overhead).

i was in a preferred seat in e, and saw them offload about six rollers once the overheads were full...but no additional enforcement.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Sure - that's the letter of the "law", but effectively no different (in size) than having a winter coat in my arms which would then be hung in the F closet. I would argue that having a mid-size duffle and a garment bag wouldn't have caused attention even if the duffle is technically bigger than the 18x14x8 personal item size limits.
Would the garment bag have fit underneath the seat in front of you? A good number of AA planes don't have a closet in F anymore, so I'm not sure what you would have done if there had been no closet.
renila likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:38 pm

No enforcement at SAP (they actually have the updated sizers at check-in and at the gate), LAX or MIA.
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
PHL-DFW-HNL-DFW-PHL no carry-on bag enforcement visible this past week.
AA100k likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
No enforcement at SAP (they actually have the updated sizers at check-in and at the gate), LAX or MIA.
What’s updated about the sizers? Have they taken away the extra inch or two?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I recall UA having contractors or employees in front of the lines to the TSA at EWR who at times made issues about cabin baggage, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen that.

This kind of thing may work for a while at screening checkpoints where all the passengers are flying one airline, but when it’s a line for a checkpoint for multiple airlines, there may be issues with one airline trying to do this while inconveniencing passengers of other airlines.
If there is an AA employee at TSA, what authority do they actually have? Why would anyone even need to interact with them? Not to add any passive aggressiveness to this discussion, but if they are not TSA people, what's stopping anyone from walking right past them?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Waiting for boarding to start on SEA-DFW. Preboard announcements mentioned that they were going to be checking all carry-ons in the sizer. We'll see if they hold true. Might board last in FC to see if there's any good drama.

GA is already doing the bag-ageddon announcement, stating that they may need to check bags starting with group 7.

"This is a short Jet Bridge, and when it gets backed up we know they're out of room on the plane for bags. There may be a few spots left, but there may not be, so we will start checking bags with group 8, and maybe even group 7."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.