Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I have yet to see this at CLT, although many of my flights there are on regionals.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:53 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by KBRDU
I had the same dragons at that terminal two weeks ago. They were telling people "it's too big,you'll have to check that" without putting any bags (while I was there) in the sizer right next to them. I told her it would fit in the sizer. She huffed and told me to just go on, waving me on up the escalator. Last I saw, she was still arguing with other passengers with carry-ons that looked within the limits, but not using the sizer.
I encountered the same routine there a few weeks ago. And I also said it would fit and she huffed and told me to go on. And I was traveling with one of my smaller bags, A TravelPro that fits every sizer. It was obvious it would fit just looking at it.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
There are dragons in front of the T3 escalators at LAX, with sizers. It occurred to me that they don’t have a dragon in front of the elevators in the center and it’s an easy way to bypass them.
Spiff, TWA884, TSparky and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro (2MM)
I flew DCA-LAX-ORD-DCA last week and saw no one checking bags at any station
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by sdfamily
Yes, I was definitely late in boarding. But, purchasing a business class ticket should afford you that situation. I asked if i could just go on board and see if there was room (again, in business), and she emphatically declined: I then boarded and took my seat in 4a. Overhead bin space was abundant in business class.
If you are in J/F and are asked to gate check your bag, you need to insist that they put a pink Valet tag on it, per policy, so that it is returned to you at the Jetbridge at your destination. The extra work that will cause them might just let them have you try finding space on board. Never let them not pink valet tag your bag when you are in F/J.

Last edited by aamilesslave; Nov 25, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by donotblink
There are dragons in front of the T3 escalators at LAX, with sizers. It occurred to me that they don’t have a dragon in front of the elevators in the center and it’s an easy way to bypass them.
Who cares about T3? Isn't that the Delta terminal?
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Who cares about T3? Isn't that the Delta terminal?
I assume they meant T4 or T5.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Seen some more cases of sizer use pop up. But still highly inconsistent, which means on the same flight, I have seen non-compliant bags be freely carried on, non-compliant bags that have to be shoved and squeezed into the sizer be let on and non-compliant bags be checked.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
If you are in J/F and are asked to gate check your bag, you need to insist that they put a pink Valet tag on it, per policy, so that it is returned to you at the Jetbridge at your destination. The extra work that will cause them might just let them have you try finding space on board. Never let them not pink valet tag your bag when you are in F/J.
Can you please point to that policy that we can print?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I wish I had place to point you to. But it's policy. If you get push back from anyone saying it's not policy, ask them when it changed.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
JonNYC has a tweet with info on priority valet tags back on 11/14 regarding and who is eligible to use

Spiff, AA100k and jbielsker like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
No enforcement on either mainline or regional in CLT this past weekend.
Everyone (including FC) had to valet check bags on regional flights so enforcement is non-issue.
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Nov 26, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
Everyone had to gate check bags on regional flights so enforcement is non-issue.
Gate check to final destination/bag claim carousel?
Or Valet check?
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Sorry meant valet check as usual. Have corrected original post.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:41 pm

BNA was kinda enforcing on the way out this morning. Some people instructed to put in sizer. Not everyone. (also at least one person tried pulling out their jacket and then saying it fit and they didn't let that fly)
No enforcement in CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.