Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Increasing Carry On Bag Enforcement, Audits (Oct 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am not sure about this, but has anyone else noticed that AA seems to have more baggage sizers around at US airports this month than it had at the start of the year?

Noticed more AA baggage sizers but not more enforcement yet.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Just flew LHR-LAX AA109.
Zero enforcement.
Saw the new sizer with the white (carry-on) and yellow (personal item) lines tucked in a corner of the gate (all sad and lonely )
Also, they did not force carry-on check for last groups and it seems everybody found a spot in the overhead bins for their bags.
I guess the FAA does not care as much about international outposts?
Well, they should in theory care just as much, though merely not force-checking bags for the last groups doesn't mean they're not at a minimum eyeballing the size. (Of course I recognize it sounds like they probably were NOT enforcing size limits).
The widebodies typically can accommodate all passenger carry-ons; the F and J cabins are not very dense (you basically get your own bin), and in coach people are more likely to check a bag if they're traveling overseas for an "extended" time period. Also, I think the first checked bag is free on long-hauls, except maybe for basic economy.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bchandler02
That's fine when the contents are still usable. It's not fine when most stores do not carry your size and you could potentially be unable to buy more clothes that fit you and only have the clothes that you wore over for your entire trip.
I hear ya and absolutely agree. I’ve been on both sides of the equation more than a few times.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am not sure about this, but has anyone else noticed that AA seems to have more baggage sizers around at US airports this month than it had at the start of the year?

Noticed more AA baggage sizers but not more enforcement yet.
I’ve noticed at the hubs but not at the spokes.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ikwia
I know OT, but EF shows food in J on this route, fwiw.
Snack basket until breakfast which is only cereal and fruit, zero options.

So technically yes.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
LIH-LAX-ELP-DFW no visible extra bag checking.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by deac83
LIH-LAX-ELP-DFW no visible extra bag checking.
That's definitely an interesting way to get from LIH to DFW! Priceline special?
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
That's definitely an interesting way to get from LIH to DFW! Priceline special?
Or google flights.

I did CLT-EYW-MIA-BOG earlier this year, thanks to google flights (CLT-MIA was sold out). Caused a serious commotion as ground staff / security couldn't figure out what to do with me as they thought I was making things up regarding connecting.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boarded a bit ago at IAH. No sizer use, except one person got stopped with 5 (five... F-I-V-E) pieces of luggage. 2 were checked complimentary, she boarded with 3.

Amazing job AA. Really making things happen here.
84fiero likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:44 pm

I've got 26 domestic flights coming up in November - haven't flown AA in a while, so this will be interesting. I've been using the larger Rimowa Topas (22.1 x 17.8 x 9.9") for the past two years; never had any issues with it.

I'll report back after my first few flights... I really don't want to have to buy a new case as the one I'm using looks pretty sweet with the patina and whatnot.
wireless_999, AA100k and jerseytom like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Boarded a bit ago at IAH. No sizer use, except one person got stopped with 5 (five... F-I-V-E) pieces of luggage. 2 were checked complimentary, she boarded with 3.

Amazing job AA. Really making things happen here.
F-I-V-E, wow! How did she carry them? Like three rollers and two bags or two rollers and three bags? Sounds like she was World Class in the baggage game.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA100k
F-I-V-E, wow! How did she carry them? Like three rollers and two bags or two rollers and three bags? Sounds like she was World Class in the baggage game.
At South Florida airports when I’m headed back to the NYC area, I’ve seen people come with giant shopping bags on top of the regular assortment of two or three cabin baggage items. One group of women who were clearly overloaded with cabin baggage and stopped for it — and this was close to seven years ago — asked some of us, after they had scanned their boarding passes, if we would bring on board an item for them during the boarding process. I refused, but it seemed to me like the airline wasn’t stopping then from asking others to do so that time.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
At South Florida airports when I’m headed back to the NYC area, I’ve seen people come with giant shopping bags on top of the regular assortment of two or three cabin baggage items. One group of women who were clearly overloaded with cabin baggage and stopped for it — and this was close to seven years ago — asked some of us, after they had scanned their boarding passes, if we would bring on board an item for them during the boarding process. I refused, but it seemed to me like the airline wasn’t stopping then from asking others to do so that time.
I accustomed to seeing these displays at check in but not the gate. And I’ve been asked more than once by another passenger to check their bag. When I remind them that’s against security regulations they act offended like I’m an @$$. I know we all complain about AAgents but I can’t imagine the crap they go through with the traveling public on a daily basis.
Spanish likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA100k
Two rollers, 2 carry bags (like beach bag style) and one purse.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

I tend to suspect that the change from today/Thursday of this week to Friday of this week (the 1st) will be quite noticeable in some places.
pa3lsvt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.