FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA 45 CDG-JFK : Confirming AA's lousy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1989236-aa-45-cdg-jfk-confirming-aas-lousy-service.html)

nachosdelux Oct 1, 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583226)
I've been at an Elite of various levels at AA since 2003. In the premium cabin I've never had a FA refuse me a refill (yes many FAs aren't very attentive) and I've never had one roll their eyes at me. I've had FAs in their 70s to a young FA working the F cabin for her first time. I just do not believe this hyperbole that there are FAs in the premium cabin that purposely won't take your food or beverage order, won't give you a refill (provided it's not shortly before landing) and snarl/roll their eyes if you make a reasonable request. Yes lots of AA FAs won't do PDBs, some are surly and hate their job (at least the part dealing with paxs) and some are down right lazy. Including and especially the younger ones.

But given all of AA's real deficiencies (inability to operate with banked hubs, inability to clearly communicate delays or post reasonable times, shoving more seats into Y while announcing plans to rip out AVOD, etc.) FAs are way down on my list. Most have been very good (including in Y when the service just by nature lacks), some are average, a smaller number below average and relatively few bottom of the barrel. In 16 years flying with AA I've never had a FA so bad I would even remotely consider writing AA.

Believe it. I have experienced it several times. You go on to say that "some are surly and hate their job". These are the ones that should not have this job. You pay good money to travel in J, and surly employees doesn't bother you in the least? No customer, in any class of travel, should have to put up with that crap. And AA is powerless to do anything about it.

tomj888 Oct 1, 2019 12:01 pm

There is an axiom in life that you get what you tolerate. Sadly for those of us over the age of 50 its a brand new world. Suddenly the world in which we were raised is obsolete. Respect, Patience, Manners have all flown out the door and its up to us to PIVOT and accept things and behaviors that were appalling when we were being raised. I see it in my own kids. I'm an outlier in demanding respect etc. I've found that if you treat people the way you want to be treated, they will usually treat you the same. This attitude doesn't permeate the fabric of our society today, so its rare to see it
Poor service is tolerated because to ..... about it, gets you arrested LOL
In the end, we can speak volumes by our money. That axiom still exists, "money talks, bs walks." For me, AA is convenient to where I want to go. When it stops becoming that or the rules to maintain status worsen, I can go back to UA where I"m lifetime Platinum. Hopefully one day the pendulum will swing closer to the middle and we will treat each other with courtesy and respect. Until then we can all ..... on the forum just like I am.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux (Post 31583272)
Believe it. I have experienced it several times. You go on to say that "some are surly and hate their job". These are the ones that should not have this job. You pay good money to travel in J, and surly employees doesn't bother you in the least? No customer, in any class of travel, should have to put up with that crap. And AA is powerless to do anything about it.

No I've come to the conclusion it's part of the travel experience. Just like when people bring their rotten behaving children into the AC. Or some moron (usually seated in F) stands in the aisle blocking the entire boarding process. Or I land at MIA, just want to get home and we sit 30 minutes plus waiting for a gate. Like I said lots more that could piss me off than some FA mad at the world for whatever reason.

On the flip side I've had some FAs do some amazing things for me. Give me a goodie bag to go (or a bottle of wine which I assume is against the rules), ask me about my job and life, thank me personally for my business. I'm assuming bottom of the barrel FAs can be found at every US domestic airline. Even airlines known for their customer service such as B6 and WN have them. Years back some FA at B6 flipped out. As the a/c approached the gate he grabbed a six pack of beer, pulled the emergency shot, slide down and took off in the airport.

Like I said if you want to volunteer to give up your J seat so that a mystery shopper can ride along and ferret out those few bad apples be my guest. I'll take my upgrade and deal with a surly FA from time to time. How exactly should AA get rid of these so called evil FAs? Someone complains and they are instantly fired? Given the way some paxs act I don't blame the way they come off at times.

If someone is constantly dealing with so many so called bad apples I have to wonder if it's the pax or the FA. Again, as someone that has no issue expressing his anger I've never remotely thought about lodging a formal complaint against a FA.

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583226)
I've been at an Elite of various levels at AA since 2003. In the premium cabin I've never had a FA refuse me a refill (yes many FAs aren't very attentive) and I've never had one roll their eyes at me. I've had FAs in their 70s to a young FA working the F cabin for her first time. I just do not believe this hyperbole that there are FAs in the premium cabin that purposely won't take your food or beverage order, won't give you a refill (provided it's not shortly before landing) and snarl/roll their eyes if you make a reasonable request. Yes lots of AA FAs won't do PDBs, some are surly and hate their job (at least the part dealing with paxs) and some are down right lazy. Including and especially the younger ones.

But given all of AA's real deficiencies (inability to operate with banked hubs, inability to clearly communicate delays or post reasonable times, shoving more seats into Y while announcing plans to rip out AVOD, etc.) FAs are way down on my list. Most have been very good (including in Y when the service just by nature lacks), some are average, a smaller number below average and relatively few bottom of the barrel. In 16 years flying with AA I've never had a FA so bad I would even remotely consider writing AA.

Well I've been an elite since 1992 and I can tell you that I've seen it all. Good, bad and horrendous. Who said the FAs refused to take my order? They just walked by me- twice. When I said excuse me they were already long gone... and when I confronted them I got the nasty stare... And throughout the whole flight it was the same thing....rushing through the cabin for everything... I have food on my plate and I'm eating and they have their hand on my tray to take it away... Plus a purser who was constantly making long-winded aggressive announcements with endless unnecessary commentary. I don't want fake smiles. I want professionalism and common courtesy.

If you don't care about it then fine, good for you. But 5 pages later you can see that a) lots of other people have had similar experiences and b) they DO see it as a problem.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31583343)
Well I've been an elite since 1992 and I can tell you that I've seen it all. Good, bad and horrendous. Who said the FAs refused to take my order? They just walked by me- twice. When I said excuse me they were already long gone... and when I confronted them I got the nasty stare... And throughout the whole flight it was the same thing....rushing through the cabin for everything... I have food on my plate and I'm eating and they have their hand on my tray to take it away... Plus a purser who was constantly making long-winded aggressive announcements with endless unnecessary commentary. I don't want fake smiles. I want professionalism and common courtesy.

If you don't care about it then fine, good for you. But 5 pages later you can see that a) lots of other people have had similar experiences and b) they DO see it as a problem.

Because in posting on FT since 2005 I've come to realize lots of people here somehow think AA can (and would) bring back the glory days of flying. I watch YouTube videos flying from the 1960s and sans the smoking I think what a treat that must have been. Today if your flying Y it's a tab above the NYC subway, J maybe Metro North. You had a FA that threw you attitude and liked making announcements. At least in J you get noise cancelling headsets. I've had a few FA give me attitude and I usually just laugh at them (because in the grand scheme of things they are nobodies) and if their life is that miserable I feel sorry for them. They should experience some real tragedy in life (like I have).

richarddd Oct 1, 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583370)
Because in posting on FT since 2005 I've come to realize lots of people here somehow think AA can (and would) bring back the glory days of flying. I watch YouTube videos flying from the 1960s and sans the smoking I think what a treat that must have been. Today if your flying Y it's a tab above the NYC subway, J maybe Metro North. You had a FA that threw you attitude and liked making announcements. At least in J you get noise cancelling headsets. I've had a few FA give me attitude and I usually just laugh at them (because in the grand scheme of things they are nobodies) and if their life is that miserable I feel sorry for them. They should experience some real tragedy in life (like I have).

Who's asking for glory days? All that is being sought is a reasonable level of professionalism.

Antarius Oct 1, 2019 1:04 pm

Again, this is your criteria. A very unique personal criteria.

I simply expect people to do a decent job at their.... job. Its not rocket science, or expecting some "glory days". If a Courtyard or Towne Place Marriott can give a consistently better experience, why can't American Airlines manage in International J?

nachosdelux Oct 1, 2019 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583335)
No I've come to the conclusion it's part of the travel experience.

it is on AA, much more than any of the other airlines I do business with

tramm7 Oct 1, 2019 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583335)
I'll take my upgrade and deal with a surly FA from time to time.

In that scenario you may be right. If the premium cabin is a free upgrade....it beats the alternative any day. But as a paying J/F flyer i find it unacceptable.

lobo411 Oct 1, 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31582613)
I think fake/feigned is probably worse than apathetic, which most of us would probably be okay with -- IF THEY DO THEIR JOBS (serve food, provide refills). What really makes the difference is genuine smiles/concern, and I'm sorry if you've never experienced it. It exists. Even on airlines. And why can't it be part of the package of expectations in a premium class of service? Certainly those 3* Michelin restaurants, and the prices they command, have to meet an elevated level of service, or patrons will determine that it's not worth the cost and seek out better options.

IMO a FA can only reasonably care about me as much as I care about them: we owe each other basic human respect and courtesy, but...I don't know the person and they don't know me. I've flown first class to Asia where the FAs do a great job of providing service and acting concerned, but I was never sucked so far into the fantasy that I believed they really did care. It doesn't bother me one bit to not have that feigned-concern as long as the service (the tangible bit) is good.

lobo411 Oct 1, 2019 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by tomj888 (Post 31583307)
I've found that if you treat people the way you want to be treated, they will usually treat you the same.

In the above, you aren't demanding respect. You're earning it.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm sorry I just don't believe that if the FA skipped over you and if you said excuse me miss/sir but you forgot to take my order they'd roll their eyes. Possibly if they asked and you were so engrossed in something you ignored their original request. I certainly don't see a FA grabbing the plate away from you with fork and knife still in hand. Sure if you're slowly eating (as I do because flying is the only time I ever seem to eat a meal slowly) they might think you're done. Simply say "oh I'm still working on that."

I find that if you treat the FAs well and professionally (they are not flying waitresses) they're treat you right. Sure some are not much into their job, might even hate their job. Those kind of people are everywhere in every profession. BTW most flight crew have no clue who is upgraded or paid and they really don't care. They know what the service is for a premium cabin for a particular flight, what the Y service is. Sometimes you get service plus, sometimes you barely get the service. I've seen grannies hustle up and down Y constantly offering drink refills and even seconds on snacks. I've seen 20 somethings have no interest in anything other than their phone.

I've seen sometimes how FAs get treated in the premium cabins. I've seen FAs ask for desired beverage or meal choice only to be barked at by some DYKWIA type. If I had to put up with what they put up I'd might be a bit surly too. Of course management shoving more seats into the a/c making sure that each seat has a butt then finding a way to charge for everything makes the experience like ridding the NYC subway at 5PM.

olouie Oct 1, 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583991)
I'm sorry I just don't believe that if the FA skipped over you and if you said excuse me miss/sir but you forgot to take my order they'd roll their eyes. Possibly if they asked and you were so engrossed in something you ignored their original request. I certainly don't see a FA grabbing the plate away from you with fork and knife still in hand. Sure if you're slowly eating (as I do because flying is the only time I ever seem to eat a meal slowly) they might think you're done. Simply say "oh I'm still working on that."

I find that if you treat the FAs well and professionally (they are not flying waitresses) they're treat you right. Sure some are not much into their job, might even hate their job. Those kind of people are everywhere in every profession. BTW most flight crew have no clue who is upgraded or paid and they really don't care. They know what the service is for a premium cabin for a particular flight, what the Y service is. Sometimes you get service plus, sometimes you barely get the service. I've seen grannies hustle up and down Y constantly offering drink refills and even seconds on snacks. I've seen 20 somethings have no interest in anything other than their phone.

I've seen sometimes how FAs get treated in the premium cabins. I've seen FAs ask for desired beverage or meal choice only to be barked at by some DYKWIA type. If I had to put up with what they put up I'd might be a bit surly too. Of course management shoving more seats into the a/c making sure that each seat has a butt then finding a way to charge for everything makes the experience like ridding the NYC subway at 5PM.

It sounds like a nice world you live in. Wish it wasn't mostly fantasy. I get where you are coming from, but having experienced some of this on AA myself I have to say that I simply don't believe your disbelief. A classic bit of clinging to a fantasy world against mountains of real experiences.

scubadu Oct 1, 2019 4:00 pm

<snip> because in the grand scheme of things they are nobodies

Ummm... alrighty then....

<snip>They should experience some real tragedy in life (like I have).

How are you so unequivocally certain they haven't? :rolleyes:

Why don't you put the shovel down and take a breath for a little while?

Regards

FLYaway3x Oct 1, 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583991)

You need to get off your high horse and see what other FT’ers have written the state of affairs on AA. This isn’t an isolated incident. And since on the routes below AA is not price competitive in F or J with their OW counterparts (CX and BA) why would anyone ever pay AA money for international J or F on these routes? Have you extensively flown carriers from other countries? It’s not even in the same universe as AA. You are right, AA is like a bus or subway and international carriers are like, flying!
AA 193 (LAX-HKG) entire F cabin IFE non-functional (compensation for flight issues)
Best way to report FA in F, HKG-DFW
Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger
HKG - LAX: Incredibly Rude FA, J Pax offloads himself!
Review: American Airlines First Class 777-300ER Los Angeles To London