FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA 45 CDG-JFK : Confirming AA's lousy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1989236-aa-45-cdg-jfk-confirming-aas-lousy-service.html)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 6:15 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31580991)
I take a couple of international trips in J every month, tomorrow I’m going to Rome. I never experience this bad FA stuff I read about here. One time an FA forgot to offer me a dinner roll but it didn’t ruin the trip for me. Sometimes the wine has turned and is awful and the entree ghastly but the crew isn’t the issue. I never get the drill sergeant treatment and frankly I prefer the crew to disappear after the meal when it’s “bedtime” in the cabin. They always know my name and are super friendly.

Does anyone notice a difference between the LUS and LAA crews? Most of my international travel is out of PHL with LUS crews - are they the nice ones?

In general LUS crews tended to be more pax focus, for example providing PDBs in F/J. However, the crews are now being mixed. For example my flight the other day was 2 FAs CLT based and 2 FAs MIA based.

BearX220 Oct 1, 2019 6:39 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31577608)
This seems to be a deplorable state of affairs. The passengers are now terrified of the FAs wrath and the FAs behave as they please. They must report to somebody. Someone has to be in charge of Inflight Services.

Pucci, there really isn't anyone in charge. Once the door closes the cabin staff can do as it wishes and is pretty invulnerable. This is not an AA-centric issue, but a culture issue with most US carriers. We have all seen flight attendants make up insane rules, confront passengers for imagined transgressions, choose not to provide services specified in the "script,", etc. In my modest estimation about 10 percent of inflight staff are coiled too tight, verging on sociopathic -- enough so I do not initiate any interaction with an FA I have not observed for awhile. I have seen bad / slipshod / neglectful service on BA, but never been afraid to approach a member of staff on BA out of concern I'll be written up, confronted for "interfering with flight attendant duties," handed over to police on landing, etc. On AA and UA longhaul there is always that possibility, however slight.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 31578975)
A fact based survey with responses distributed to FA's who worked a flight would create positive peer pressure and be free. Were you offered a PDB? Did the FA greet you by name? Did FA's provide you drinks and service throughout the flight? Did FA's smile? Ask those questions to J/F pax, circulate the responses to the crew, and we'll all see improvements.

However damning the data, there is no mechanism to yoke FA performance to it. Do you think the bad staff believe they're providing good service? They know they're sabotaging the brand and repelling customers. There is no change without a combo platter of carrots and sticks, and in this environment there are no sticks.

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31580854)
There is a lot to say for company culture... in the case of AA it's pretty atrocious.

This is what happens when a service enterprise is run for the sole benefit of shareholders and managers. Employees get the message that neither they nor the customers matter that much, and act accordingly.

SouthernCross Oct 1, 2019 6:58 am

Originally Posted by rumboj (Post 31576918)
I have never understood why people are so quick to start threads but never bother to complain to the Company. After all, this isn’t AA Customer Relations. However, it was explained to me that some people just want to vent and posting provides a forum for that...

So I guess it will just continue to be more of the same.

It’s the perception (right or wrong) that Parker et al. don’t care. The vapid responses received when providing feedback may also be a factor.

Antarius Oct 1, 2019 7:05 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31579746)
Changing the seniority bidding is a non starter for AA. Not to mention I've seen my share of lazy, surly and self important 20 something FAs while I've seen some grandmas and grandpas worked their butts off. Do you honestly think AA can simply can any FAs over the age of 35? Really what world do you all live in?

No one said anything about canning people over 35. We said can people who cant perform, no matter what age.

The problem with participation trophy industries is the good people tend to leave because they cant deal with the day in and day out of C- players. So those that survive the distance tend to be those who bide their time in the culture of mediocrity. There are many good FAs who have been with AA for years and take pride in their job - they are surrounded by people who have zero consequences for their actions.

Fire the crappy employees now and continue to fire them early and the good ones eventually move the C- average up and up and up.

richarddd Oct 1, 2019 7:29 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 31582109)
This is what happens when a service enterprise is run for the sole benefit of shareholders and managers. Employees get the message that neither they nor the customers matter that much, and act accordingly.

A company run for the benefit of shareholders should care about retaining customers and employees. Without them, it's a bit difficult to generate the revenue and profits shareholders crave. There are limits to how far you can let things deteriorate, even in a not very competitive industry.

Given the changes in share price since early 2018 (or late 2014 for that matter) it's hard to believe AAL is run for the benefit of shareholders (compare UAL and DAL).

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31582187)
No one said anything about canning people over 35. We said can people who cant perform, no matter what age.

The problem with participation trophy industries is the good people tend to leave because they cant deal with the day in and day out of C- players. So those that survive the distance tend to be those who bide their time in the culture of mediocrity. There are many good FAs who have been with AA for years and take pride in their job - they are surrounded by people who have zero consequences for their actions.

Fire the crappy employees now and continue to fire them early and the good ones eventually move the C- average up and up and up.

There is no "standard" for FAs (for the most part) beyond their required safety duties. Customer centric comes from culture and in the US domestic airline business that often lacks. Even without a union AA probably couldn't get rid of the under performers. How would you rate under performers? Are you willing to give up your J seat so that mystery shoppers could be employed?

Believe it or not lots of paxs in J don't give a crap about the FA, whether he/she smiles, is friendly, etc. They care about a comfortable seat, a place to do work or rest, and the meal whenever (and however) it comes.

lobo411 Oct 1, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582282)
Believe it or not lots of paxs in J don't give a crap about the FA, whether he/she smiles, is friendly, etc. They care about a comfortable seat, a place to do work or rest, and the meal whenever (and however) it comes.

It's amusing how people start whole threads that boil down to:

"I paid for a stranger to give me a fake smile and feigned concern and DAMMIT I WANT THEM!"

Op had no substantive concerns. /thread

SouthernCross Oct 1, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by FLL88 (Post 31575357)
Here is an Idea for Mr. Parker:
Put a easy to use, FA rating widget on the AA Mobile APP. Similar to how you rate an UBER driver upon completion of the trip. FAs would develop a score on service. That score would be blended together with the seniority system for trip picking by the FAs. There would be motivation to provide excellent service (or at least better service)

Dreaming ! This will never happen. The UNION will never allow this type of system. Too Bad for all of us!

Good idea, but tracking individual crew back to a seat number is too complex, and not really a good picture of how service is delivered. Rating the cabin crew as a whole would be easier and just as effective. Poor performers would have peer pressure to step up their game.

At the same time, the rewards for achieving a good rating would have to be tangible, unlike the current Employee Recognition Platform. Once again this goes back to the C-suite being greedy. Employee Recognition used to provide real value in the form of space positive travel, but Parker et al. gutted the program and replaced it with an “entry into a lottery” that provides no real benefit. Is it any wonder the employees are jaded and bitter?

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 31582436)

"I paid for a stranger to give me a fake smile and feigned concern and DAMMIT I WANT THEM!"

Op had no substantive concerns. /thread

There’s always one...

Well you may consider being constantly awakened by ear piercing obnoxious overhead announcements or being skipped over for food, etc... gee, that is kind of inconsequential, right?

People pay for a product and a service. It is entirely in one’s right to expect to be treated respectfully and professionally. Perhaps you missed that?

Sounds like AA is a perfect carrier for you though!

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31582468)
There’s always one...

Well you may consider being constantly awakened by ear piercing obnoxious overhead announcements or being skipped over for food, etc... gee, that is kind of inconsequential, right?

People pay for a product and a service. It is entirely in one’s right to expect to be treated respectfully and professionally. Perhaps you missed that?

Sounds like AA is a perfect carrier for you though!

By the announcement I assume you mean credit card. Got news for you credit card revenue keeps AA alive. Those tacky announcements aren't going anywhere and I'm sure FAs are being pushed to hawk credit cards. Sorry welcome to the era of low fares. Are you saying that a FA intentionally skipped you and did not take your food order (and you weren't sitting with eyes closed)? Even the worse of FAs I doubt would purposely decide "no meal for you." BTW do you think UA and DL are significantly better?

The days of glamour 1960s flying are over with, never coming back. The lucky ones are sitting up front, at least in a seat where they aren't rubbing skin with a total stranger. And anyone that would ever get excited by airline food? I've had FAs not be overly friendly but never to the point of rude. Yes I prefer a smiling and attentive FA (particularly in the premium cabin) but I don't count on it.

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582504)
By the announcement I assume you mean credit card. Got news for you credit card revenue keeps AA alive. Those tacky announcements aren't going anywhere and I'm sure FAs are being pushed to hawk credit cards. Sorry welcome to the era of low fares. Are you saying that a FA intentionally skipped you and did not take your food order (and you weren't sitting with eyes closed)? Even the worse of FAs I doubt would purposely decide "no meal for you." BTW do you think UA and DL are significantly better?

The days of glamour 1960s flying are over with, never coming back. The lucky ones are sitting up front, at least in a seat where they aren't rubbing skin with a total stranger. And anyone that would ever get excited by airline food? I've had FAs not be overly friendly but never to the point of rude. Yes I prefer a smiling and attentive FA (particularly in the premium cabin) but I don't count on it.

Did you even read my original post?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31582529)

So from what I read
1. The FAs didn't smile
2. The FAs made some brash announcements (given the stupidity of paxs I'm often relieved to hear those announcements)
3. The FAs (presumably) skipped by you during drink service. Did you say excuse me....?
4. The FA wrenched your tray away. In 18 years with flying AA I've never had a FA wrench my food/beverage away.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

JonNYC Oct 1, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31582529)

Ha!!!

Clearly he didn't make the time to do so, resulting in a cut 'n paste "why are you complaining?" type reply.

Although not *quite* as bad as this:

PUCCI GALORE Oct 1, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 31582109)
Pucci, there really isn't anyone in charge. Once the door closes the cabin staff can do as it wishes and is pretty invulnerable. This is not an AA-centric issue, but a culture issue with most US carriers. We have all seen flight attendants make up insane rules, confront passengers for imagined transgressions, choose not to provide services specified in the "script,", etc. In my modest estimation about 10 percent of inflight staff are coiled too tight, verging on sociopathic -- enough so I do not initiate any interaction with an FA I have not observed for awhile. I have seen bad / slipshod / neglectful service on BA, but never been afraid to approach a member of staff on BA out of concern I'll be written up, confronted for "interfering with flight attendant duties," handed over to police on landing, etc. On AA and UA longhaul there is always that possibility, however slight.

Employees get the message that neither they nor the customers matter that much, and act accordingly.

I flew for many years, and only retired and folded my wings a couple of years ago because my husband had retired and I wanted to be with him. I figured that if we don't do things now - when are we ever going to.

I am not taking sides, but let me assure you that the traveling public is nothing like as pleasant to look after than it once was. The world has changed. What has not changed however is that you are there primarily for safety but please God, most of us have never been in a catastrophic situation when all you can do is get everyone off the aircraft fast as it threatens to be totally engulfed in flames. The majority of the time you are there to care for the people who are paying your wages. I loved my job and considered that I was extremely fortunate to have a job that others hankered to have. I was doubly lucky. When BCAL was taken over by BA, I was kept on.

I ended up as a CSD. The crew reported to me and I was responsible for them and what the did, said, and delivered. One is the human face of BA. I cannot speak for the FAs of AA, but this atmosphere that all are describing here is clearly toxic. If I or anyone addressed and behaved to a F passenger as described here, there would indeed be trouble. I have known many excellent FAs at AA. The product was delivered pleasantly and in a friendly way. Certainly I have only once had to have the police to an aircraft when we had to abandon a take off as two women started beating up a person sitting in front as the two women were both drunk and started lighting cigarettes as we moved onto the runway. I was horrified and thought of all the paperwork and bother that would await as, as the airline would certainly press charges. We left them with the police and as we taxied away the call bells went off like a herd of Swiss cows in pasture. I thought - "God, what now?"

" You're all right Love" shouted one gentleman " The daughter has just smacked the policewoman round the face!"

I related this as the seriousness of the assault is unquestionable. What you, my Lovely Bear, is nothing short of aggressive insistence on talking to passengers any old how and doing as you please. I recall a particular cabin crew member who was distributing sandwiches on a "Here! Catch!" basis. When asked if there was a choice, responding " Yeah - take it or leave it". (This was between Gatwick and Amsterdam.) The Lead FA - had words with her and I heard later that she had been fired. The company would not tolerate rudeness of any kind. As you say, the Company doesn't care, so why should they? Terrible.

ijgordon Oct 1, 2019 9:01 am

I think fake/feigned is probably worse than apathetic, which most of us would probably be okay with -- IF THEY DO THEIR JOBS (serve food, provide refills). What really makes the difference is genuine smiles/concern, and I'm sorry if you've never experienced it. It exists. Even on airlines. And why can't it be part of the package of expectations in a premium class of service? Certainly those 3* Michelin restaurants, and the prices they command, have to meet an elevated level of service, or patrons will determine that it's not worth the cost and seek out better options.