FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA 45 CDG-JFK : Confirming AA's lousy service (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1989236-aa-45-cdg-jfk-confirming-aas-lousy-service.html)

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582584)
So from what I read
1. The FAs didn't smile
2. The FAs made some brash announcements (given the stupidity of paxs I'm often relieved to hear those announcements)
3. The FAs (presumably) skipped by you during drink service. Did you say excuse me....?
4. The FA wrenched your tray away. In 18 years with flying AA I've never had a FA wrench my food/beverage away.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Dont need validation.and clearly not yours. This was my experience.
5 pages of commentary- many people have had similar experiences.
Perhaps you think that is normal behavior? Professional? On what planet? Not in my book. If you don’t think common courtesy and professionalism is important then that’s your issue.

carlosdca Oct 1, 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bostontraveler (Post 31582617)
Dont need validation.and clearly not yours. This was my experience.
5 pages of commentary- many people have had similar experiences.
Perhaps you think that is normal behavior? Professional? On what planet? Not in my book. If you don’t think common courtesy and professionalism is important then that’s your issue.

The issue for me is that it has never been any different.
I started flying AA in 2001. EXP for many consecutive years. Flown Y/J/F in all its variations.
What you describe is not ANY different to service I have experienced in the last 18 years.
It has nothing to do with Parker or the merger.
20 years of FT rant threads, emails to customer service, etc. and nothing has changed.
Time to adjust expectations or jump ship.

The only thing that has changed is that there is some new aircraft with nice flat seats in J and PE (which I like a lot). Y keeps getting worse.
I don't expect the soft product to change any time soon.

Antarius Oct 1, 2019 9:13 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582504)
By the announcement I assume you mean credit card. Got news for you credit card revenue keeps AA alive. Those tacky announcements aren't going anywhere and I'm sure FAs are being pushed to hawk credit cards. Sorry welcome to the era of low fares. Are you saying that a FA intentionally skipped you and did not take your food order (and you weren't sitting with eyes closed)? Even the worse of FAs I doubt would purposely decide "no meal for you." BTW do you think UA and DL are significantly better?

The days of glamour 1960s flying are over with, never coming back. The lucky ones are sitting up front, at least in a seat where they aren't rubbing skin with a total stranger. And anyone that would ever get excited by airline food? I've had FAs not be overly friendly but never to the point of rude. Yes I prefer a smiling and attentive FA (particularly in the premium cabin) but I don't count on it.

I fail to see your point. Just because AA and others are bad at things, we should just adjust expectations?

I get consistently better service from Courtyard Marriott level hotels than I do in intl J on AA. Heck, I regularly get better service on domestic AA and even better on regionals.

No one is demanding the "glamor days of the 1960s" (not that I know what those really are). Just service commensurate to the rest of the world.

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 9:19 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 31582650)
The issue for me is that it has never been any different.
I started flying AA in 2001. EXP for many consecutive years. Flown Y/J/F in all its variations.
What you describe is not ANY different to service I have experienced in the last 18 years.
It has nothing to do with Parker or the merger.
20 years of FT rant threads, emails to customer service, etc. and nothing has changed.
Time to adjust expectations or jump ship.

The only thing that has changed is that there is some new aircraft with nice flat seats in J and PE (which I like a lot). Y keeps getting worse.
I don't expect the soft product to change any time soon.

I’ve been traveling on AA since 1992, like you in all classes and as an EXP. In my experience there has been a noticeable decline in the past few years. Whereas in the past service was either saccharine or indifferent now it is almost hostile.
I did jump ship being based in Paris. And I don’t miss it one bit.

bostontraveler Oct 1, 2019 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31582658)
I fail to see your point. Just because AA and others are bad at things, we should just adjust expectations?

I get consistently better service from Courtyard Marriott level hotels than I do in intl J on AA. Heck, I regularly get better service on domestic AA and even better on regionals.

No one is demanding the "glamor days of the 1960s" (not that I know what those really are). Just service commensurate to the rest of the world.

Bingo. Exactly my thoughts.

Antarius Oct 1, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31582613)
I think fake/feigned is probably worse than apathetic, which most of us would probably be okay with -- IF THEY DO THEIR JOBS (serve food, provide refills). What really makes the difference is genuine smiles/concern, and I'm sorry if you've never experienced it. It exists. Even on airlines. And why can't it be part of the package of expectations in a premium class of service? Certainly those 3* Michelin restaurants, and the prices they command, have to meet an elevated level of service, or patrons will determine that it's not worth the cost and seek out better options.

This.

High value customers have choices, especially in intl J. AA is making the same mistakes as UA did under Smisek - we all saw how that went down.

FLYaway3x Oct 1, 2019 9:36 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582584)
So from what I read
1. The FAs didn't smile
2. The FAs made some brash announcements (given the stupidity of paxs I'm often relieved to hear those announcements)
3. The FAs (presumably) skipped by you during drink service. Did you say excuse me....?
4. The FA wrenched your tray away. In 18 years with flying AA I've never had a FA wrench my food/beverage away.

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Sounds like someone needs to fly on a real carrier offering a quality intl J and F product. Although I'm sure your response will be "My AA FA's do the exact same job (or better!) as those on LH/AF/CX/SQ/NH".

DCP2016 Oct 1, 2019 9:52 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31580991)
Does anyone notice a difference between the LUS and LAA crews? Most of my international travel is out of PHL with LUS crews - are they the nice ones?

In general LUS crews are definitely more customer service focused, especially on international flights.

enviroian Oct 1, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016 (Post 31582807)
In general LUS crews are definitely more customer service focused, especially on international flights.

I'd go one step further and say legacy HP crews are the friendliest and service orientated folks out there.

chitink Oct 1, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31582504)
By the announcement I assume you mean credit card. Got news for you credit card revenue keeps AA alive. Those tacky announcements aren't going anywhere and I'm sure FAs are being pushed to hawk credit cards. Sorry welcome to the era of low fares. Are you saying that a FA intentionally skipped you and did not take your food order (and you weren't sitting with eyes closed)? Even the worse of FAs I doubt would purposely decide "no meal for you." BTW do you think UA and DL are significantly better?

The days of glamour 1960s flying are over with, never coming back. The lucky ones are sitting up front, at least in a seat where they aren't rubbing skin with a total stranger. And anyone that would ever get excited by airline food? I've had FAs not be overly friendly but never to the point of rude. Yes I prefer a smiling and attentive FA (particularly in the premium cabin) but I don't count on it.

I get excited for the food on Qatar. it's fantastic.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 11:02 am

Of all the things that could piss me off when I'm traveling surly FAs are way down on the list. Give me a premium seat (or PE), couple of free drinks (afternoon or evening flights) and a decent AVOD (because tablets are PITA to use in flight) and I'm happy as a pig in slop. The meal to me is no different that a Burger King meal.

This is the industry, all US major airlines. No one at AA is going to change that. Complaining on FT isn't going to change it. And we certainly aren't going back to the golden days of flying. If the FA is that miserable in life not my issue or problem. After living in Manhattan for 17 years I learned how to tune most people out, including less than happy FAs.

AAway Oct 1, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 31582996)
I'd go one step further and say legacy HP crews are the friendliest and service orientated folks out there.

My experience has been similar. I feel that LAA FA's have been a mixed bag for decades.
The new hires a few years ago were certainly a breath of fresh air and the LHP FA's were another needed breath of fresh air.

nachosdelux Oct 1, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 31580991)
I take a couple of international trips in J every month, tomorrow I’m going to Rome. I never experience this bad FA stuff I read about here. One time an FA forgot to offer me a dinner roll but it didn’t ruin the trip for me. Sometimes the wine has turned and is awful and the entree ghastly but the crew isn’t the issue. I never get the drill sergeant treatment and frankly I prefer the crew to disappear after the meal when it’s “bedtime” in the cabin. They always know my name and are super friendly.

Does anyone notice a difference between the LUS and LAA crews? Most of my international travel is out of PHL with LUS crews - are they the nice ones?

consider yourself lucky. I am not high maintenance or demanding in the least bit. I don't mind lackluster service. What I do mind, and see (more than occasionally) on AA long haul, is nasty and rude F/A's.

Antarius Oct 1, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 31583056)
Of all the things that could piss me off when I'm traveling surly FAs are way down on the list. Give me a premium seat (or PE), couple of free drinks (afternoon or evening flights) and a decent AVOD (because tablets are PITA to use in flight) and I'm happy as a pig in slop. The meal to me is no different that a Burger King meal.

This is the industry, all US major airlines. No one at AA is going to change that. Complaining on FT isn't going to change it. And we certainly aren't going back to the golden days of flying. If the FA is that miserable in life not my issue or problem. After living in Manhattan for 17 years I learned how to tune most people out, including less than happy FAs.

Heres the problem, surly FAs and ...... service tend to go together. I don't care if they smile or not, but I do care if I dont get any service/refills at all or get eyes rolled at if I ask for something.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 1, 2019 11:45 am

I've been at an Elite of various levels at AA since 2003. In the premium cabin I've never had a FA refuse me a refill (yes many FAs aren't very attentive) and I've never had one roll their eyes at me. I've had FAs in their 70s to a young FA working the F cabin for her first time. I just do not believe this hyperbole that there are FAs in the premium cabin that purposely won't take your food or beverage order, won't give you a refill (provided it's not shortly before landing) and snarl/roll their eyes if you make a reasonable request. Yes lots of AA FAs won't do PDBs, some are surly and hate their job (at least the part dealing with paxs) and some are down right lazy. Including and especially the younger ones.

But given all of AA's real deficiencies (inability to operate with banked hubs, inability to clearly communicate delays or post reasonable times, shoving more seats into Y while announcing plans to rip out AVOD, etc.) FAs are way down on my list. Most have been very good (including in Y when the service just by nature lacks), some are average, a smaller number below average and relatively few bottom of the barrel. In 16 years flying with AA I've never had a FA so bad I would even remotely consider writing AA.