Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:16 pm
formerly smoaky

fwiw (as I raised allergies above) I have celiac but never really expect anything on a flight. I would be upset if someone brought an emotional support bag of flour I guess.

Jokes aside, I am more sympathetic to the peanut thing. There's a separate conversation about why so many more people have peanut allergies today, namely that idiots in the US don't feed their kids peanuts thereby ensuring they have a higher chance of developing allergies to said peanuts.

But me accidentally eating a molecule of gluten may ruin my flight, but it won't kill me as peanuts could in some cases with those who are allergic.

As for being allergic to the ESA, I only raise that as well because the whole idea of an ESA, in theory, is that it makes a flight bearable for the person who brings their pet on.

Originally Posted by Flight44
I’m left wondering... how did so many marvelous accomplishments happen without “emotional support animals” and in spite of allergies to everything. How did the world progress to this point without a total collapse.

Pathetic state of many people, mostly their own doing.

Grow up is what someone once told someone else in my presence. Growing up seems impossible for many in the present era.

I need my dooooooggggggg..... my EMOTIONALLLLLLLL SUPPPPORRRRRTTTTT ANIMALLLLL!!!!!

Pffft. Shut up.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Maybe a solution could be that:
1. ESA (of ALL ilk) must be declared at booking-No exceptions

2. ESA MUST have its own seat.

3. Bump the ESA fee with weight limits (0-5= $y, 6-10 $yx2, 10-15 $yx3, 15 and up $x5 Have Fido stand on the scale. They do it for your luggage.-The airlines should love that

3. Mandatory pre-TSA physical check-in to verify ESA paper work. NO OLCI-Happens all the time with passports. My passport has my legal name, my AAdvantage account has my legal name without a space between first and middle, requiring physical verification before getting a boarding pass 100% of the time internationally. (AA IT still can't/won't fix this after 7+ years)

5. At mandatory check-in, PAX required to sign they are are responsible (with no $ limit) for any and all biting, soiling, biting , damage, biting, et al. No sign,no go-No CK waiver

6. Strict limit of 1 in F, 2 in Y/MCE/Y/Group 9-FCFS

YMMV
Actually, they should NOT be allowed in F or J cabins. I’m paying for premium cabin to be seated in a smelly dog kennel? Put them in BE.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by robofski
The FA will probably need an ESA now to get over the trauma
Leads to an interesting question: are FAs allowed to bring ESA with them to work on their flights?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA100k

Actually, they should NOT be allowed in F or J cabins. I’m paying for premium cabin to be seated in a smelly dog kennel? Put them in BE.
Since over-cramped and over-crowded spaces can make animals more anxious and aggressive and the number of people likely to be negatively impacted by “the smelly dogs” is highest in the economy class section of the flying bus, “the smelly dogs” are less likely to be as much of a problem for as many people if “the smelly dogs” are in the F or J cabins.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by AA100k

I know a lot of dogs who smell a lot nicer than some people...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Many (most?) pitbulls are wonderful, loving dogs. Landlords are the problem with this type of doggie-discrimination. Shame on any such landlord! Any way back to the main topic, the point here is that ESA are a scam but airline shave to follow the law and allow them. This is on Congress to dic
Airlines also have had dog-breed-related restrictions on what kind of dogs they would accept for check-in.

AA says this:

Originally Posted by aa.com
We don’t accept brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs of any “mix” as checked pets, such as:
  • Affenpinscher
  • American Staffordshire Terrier
  • Boston Terrier
  • Boxer (all breeds)
  • Brussels Griffon
  • Bulldog (all breeds)
  • Cane Corso
  • Chow Chow
  • Dogue De Bordeaux
  • English Toy Spaniel
  • Japanese Chin
  • Lhasa Apso
  • Mastiff (all breeds)
  • Pekingese
  • Pit Bull
  • Presa Canario
  • Pug (all breeds)
  • Shar Pei
  • Shih Tzu
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
  • Tibetan Spaniel
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:54 pm

I think for my next flight I’m going to need a nice bag of Emotional Support Peanuts. (Not the plain ones, the honey roasted ones. We’re civil, here, not savages.)

I’ll buy the jar a little vest on amazon, and everything will be just fine.
GUWonder, C17PSGR, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
This is what AA.com lists as the procedure one must go through in order to fly with an ESA. What percentage of the time do you think this actually gets completed by someone bringing on an ESA? I think a large part of the issue is that AA does not enforce this kind of thing, pretty much AT ALL. Who is asking for this documentation? TA?? GA?? Especially if one is not checking bags, you would have no problem at all getting to the gate, without anyone asking for this paperwork. And not once have I ever seen a GA or FA, ask to see the required paperwork. What I HAVE seen is GAs and FAs go goo-goo over a dog, tell the owner how adorable it is, hold the dog, and pet the dog. Maybe if they policed the requirements of the ESA policy, we would see far fewer fraudulent instances on planes.

Forms required for travel

Emotional support / psychiatric service animals

You must complete, submit and receive approval of all 3 forms before your animal will be allowed to fly:
  • Medical / Mental Health Professional Form
  • Veterinary Health Form, or vaccination record with current rabies vaccination information
  • Confirmation of Animal Behavior Form
Download the emotional and psychiatric service animal document packet Instructions
  1. Read and complete all 3 forms
  2. Submit all 3 forms together at least 48 hours before your flight
  3. Keep documents with you during your trip
JDiver, MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by laagima
Leads to an interesting question: are FAs allowed to bring ESA with them to work on their flights?
On DL, FAs and other employees are allowed to bring ESAs on board when they travel as NRSA. So are buddy pass riders.

I wonder whether a documented need for an ESA would make a pilot be considered psychologically unfit for work (as a pilot)?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have said it once and will say it again
If you need an ESA , don’t fly commercial
how do passengers know your ESA does not have flea ‘s etc
( don’t mean to offend anyone)
GrumpyYoungMan and AA100k like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That being said, I'm not sure who the FA can sue for billions. The airline is simply following the government rules. The government can't be sued over its rules.
?? The government is under a constant state of litigation over it’s own rules.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Since over-cramped and over-crowded spaces can make animals more anxious and aggressive and the number of people likely to be negatively impacted by “the smelly dogs” is highest in the economy class section of the flying bus, “the smelly dogs” are less likely to be as much of a problem for as many people if “the smelly dogs” are in the F or J cabins.
Just another reason they shouldn’t be allowed onboard a flight anywhere if they are “anxious and aggressive” in over-crowded spaces. An passenger aircraft tends to be an overcrowded space, wherever one is seated.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Since over-cramped and over-crowded spaces can make animals more anxious and aggressive
Then let it bring on its own emotional support creature
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
J
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On DL, FAs and other employees are allowed to bring ESAs on board when they travel as NRSA. So are buddy pass riders.

I wonder whether a documented need for an ESA would make a pilot be considered psychologically unfit for work (as a pilot)?
Chairman Parker was recently blasted by an AA FA at an open meeting. Her ..... (pun intended) about AA PAX service was is that she was disparaged by the gate agent over her 2, yes 2, ESA on a trip to CDG as NRSA! How many questions does that beg?

I am unable to find the article, perhaps gary leff, points guy, ...

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jul 25, 2019 at 9:24 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:14 pm

FA Union

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;31340565]
I'd more impressed if the flight attendant union(s) were concerned about passenger safety too. Instead, they're only concerned about untrained and/or fake ESAs after one of their own is injured.

The FA Union only has jurisdiction over the FAs. If a pax is injured, the APFA cannot do much to help you. FAs are concerned with pax safety, that is our main focus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.