Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by garykung
Which ends up the FA can't get anything more than Workers' Compensation...

(Seriously, you need something as ridiculous as a peacock to make a big juicy case... )
Not quite. In workers comp, the FA can get something like medical expenses and lost wages for the day they are unable to work. It's no fault, but fairly limited. No chance to depose the owner since its purely no fault.

In suing the owner in a tort claim for negligence, the FA can get emotional distress and broader lost wages, and potentially punitive damages (albeit unlikely) and depose the owner. Agreed, not the juiciest case, but some social media use by the FA's union could get some publicity for the problem.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
... On the other hand, it would be nice if the FA union hired a lawyer for the FA to sue the individual. Take their deposition. Get them to admit it was a sham. Use social media to shame the owner and fellow scammers. Of course, unlikely that will happen, and every day more people realize they can take their pet with them for free when they travel.

As a totally anti union person to my very core, this actually represents a benefit to a rank and file member. Also betting said rank and file member will get no help. But will still be compelled to pay their union dues.

As far as ESA goes, it is easy to spot the shams. But many times the shams are of the ilk that cares only about their "bubble", and if CK, EXP, or full fare F, what GA is going to call them out?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 24, 2019 at 8:26 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Thankfully I've escaped being stuck next to an ESA on a flight, but what recourse do passengers have? Can I ask to be re-seated? If I don't want to sit next to the giant pet in the seat next to me, will I be the one dragged off? There are only going to be more incidents like this, not less, and I would rather not get bit while going on vacation.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In suing the owner in a tort claim for negligence, the FA can get emotional distress and broader lost wages, and potentially punitive damages (albeit unlikely) and depose the owner.
It varies, but some WC have psychological benefits.

But we can agree on this - whatever the FA can get from WC, any further lawsuit will not help the FA to get more.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I would rather not get bit while going on vacation.
Probably wouldn't be happy to sit next to my Emotional Support Rattlesnake then - trained to react when it senses a Panic Attack coming on nearby.
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
The often bogus ESA is an amazing scam that the airlines seem powerless to stop or slow down. here are some interesting links.

Air Carrier Access Act- Rules the carriers apparently, more than ADA, willing to have JonNYC etc opine
https://www.transportation.gov/airco...s-disabilities

How to get a Doctors note for your bogus ESA
https://comehereboy.com/blog/get-doc...e-service-dog/

And finally, are allergies also disabilities - YES
https://www.aafa.org/asthma-allergie...abilities-act/

So, I am going to check with my attorney, but I am considering offering a "Doctors note" for any animal allergy website, to counter the ESA websites. And if it bothers you enough, you can get a single animal, or for somewhat more, an individual letter from a physician for every animal who has ever been carried on a flight posing as an ESA. You would need to carry such letters as hard copies or PDFs on your tablet etc to show the FA when you are at risk for the pesky ESA. Then I would suspect, the higher your elite category the more likely you will get what you want. Considering flyertalkers are more likely elite than others dragging their pet squirrel on board, I suspect that AA Plt would win over the occasional flyer.

PS- you can get prescription sildenafil every 3 months with a 2 minute phone call to a physician somewhere in the USA, so it should be pretty easy to be suddenly allergic to every animal on earth

I feel bad for the bitten FA
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by boerne
The often bogus ESA is an amazing scam that the airlines seem powerless to stop or slow down. here are some interesting links.

Air Carrier Access Act- Rules the carriers apparently, more than ADA, willing to have JonNYC etc opine

So, I am going to check with my attorney, but I am considering offering a "Doctors note" for any animal allergy website, to counter the ESA websites. And if it bothers you enough, you can get a single animal, or for somewhat more, an individual letter from a physician for every animal who has ever been carried on a flight posing as an ESA. You would need to carry such letters as hard copies or PDFs on your tablet etc to show the FA when you are at risk for the pesky ESA. Then I would suspect, the higher your elite category the more likely you will get what you want. Considering flyertalkers are more likely elite than others dragging their pet squirrel on board, I suspect that AA Plt would win over the occasional flyer.

PS- you can get prescription sildenafil every 3 months with a 2 minute phone call to a physician somewhere in the USA, so it should be pretty easy to be suddenly allergic to every animal on earth

Nice idea but ... airlines will accommodate those with allergies or fear of animals by offering them a later flight or a different seat if available. The sham dog goes and you stay. It's not really an airline thing, its they are afraid of Air Carrier Access issues for animals more than guests with allergies or fear of animals.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
No doubt a gross generalisation but the overall impression I get of seemingly scam emotional support animals is that the owners look very well-off.(the type who might buy their offspring's way into college)
That is an over-generalization. ESAs come from the same group of people who fly. In fact, many people do it to avoid paying transportation costs. Are there any normal pets carried for a fee in the cabin any more? I suspect AA has lost income from that revenue stream. I think ESAs should be trained and certified just like service animals and the owner be made to carry GOVERNMENT issued ID to show their need for an ESA. This has gone on far too long.
altabello likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I hope he sues the dog’s owner not AA. Not the airline’s fault.
Airline *and* owner. The airline has a positive duty of care towards employees and if they are being slack about allowing any old animal on board as an "emotional support animal" then they bear some of responsibility. Up to a court to decide how much, and for how much.

5 stitches is not "nipped" by the dog.
chrisny2, strickerj and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
The FA will probably need an ESA now to get over the trauma
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Can’t say I’m surprised that this kind of thing happened on a plane. I expected it to be a more likely risk than an FA being bitten by a passenger in need of an emotional support animal taken away from them.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Airline *and* owner. The airline has a positive duty of care towards employees and if they are being slack about allowing any old animal on board as an "emotional support animal" then they bear some of responsibility. Up to a court to decide how much, and for how much.

5 stitches is not "nipped" by the dog.
in general, you can't sue your employer in the United States for things like this because such claims are barred by workers compensation statutes which provide a no-fault remedy. Beyond that, the Department of Transportation treatment of emotional support animals ties the hands of the airline. If you can get an online doctor's note, you're entitled to bring your dog on board and there's really nothing the airline can do about it unless the dog is obviously a problem before the plane takes off.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Now - I am extremely sorry for the FA, they shouldn't have that risk. I hope he sues for BILLIONS.
Mere billions? I was thinking trillions.

Reading through the United ESA form it seems the glaring oversight is the (animal) behavioral one.

Require a licensed mental health professional to say that the passenger has been prescribed an ESA? Okay. Require a licensed veterinarian to verify that the animal has been examined, doesn't have rabies, etc.? Okay. But then it's purely on the word of the passenger...

"So... this animal isn't gonna bite anyone, right?"

"Who, Mr. Fluffles? Naww... he's the goodest boy..."

At least there is the bit about:

By failing to comply if I cause United Airlines or its passengers any loss, damage or expense of any kind, I consent and acknowledge that I will reimburse it for any such loss, damage or expense.
So hopefully that puts an irresponsible passenger on the hook for reimbursement of injury costs, loss of work, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by boerne

Any discussion I have heard about someone being allergic to the animal has been countered by AA that the person with the allergy, not the pet owner, will have to move, even if it means moved from F to Y. Overheard a back and forth at ATL between customer (Plat) and agent about someone apparently on an award ticket (from the lips of the other pax) who had a big ol fluffy support cat, that she would have to move out of F, because “AA policy prevented (them) moving the person w animal”. Is that a real policy? Is it true, like in the SWA matter a few months ago, the animal (esa, not the pax) always wins?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by Snuggs

Any discussion I have heard about someone being allergic to the animal has been countered by AA that the person with the allergy, not the pet owner, will have to move, even if it means moved from F to Y. Overheard a back and forth at ATL between customer (Plat) and agent about someone apparently on an award ticket (from the lips of the other pax) who had a big ol fluffy support cat, that she would have to move out of F, because “AA policy prevented (them) moving the person w animal”. Is that a real policy? Is it true, like in the SWA matter a few months ago, the animal (esa, not the pax) always wins?
If only they had a peanut allergy instead of an animal dander allergy, then perhaps the airlines would care...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.