Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
As a totally anti union person to my very core, this actually represents a benefit to a rank and file member. Also betting said rank and file member will get no help. But will still be compelled to pay their union dues.

As far as ESA goes, it is easy to spot the shams. But many times the shams are of the ilk that cares only about their "bubble", and if CK, EXP, or full fare F, what GA is going to call them out?
I'd more impressed if the flight attendant union(s) were concerned about passenger safety too. Instead, they're only concerned about untrained and/or fake ESAs after one of their own is injured.

ADDED: We could require those with ESAs to post a huge bond to cover potential damages to people or property caused by the ESAs. This would eliminate a lot of them but also harm those who genuinely need them, for example for military service related PTSD, as it would only enable the wealthy to travel with ESAs.

It would be better if those with ESAs were required to be undergoing continued treatment for their disorders, such as a weekly psych appointment if one claimed an emotional need for the pet. For genuine service animals, presumably diabetics and those with epilepsy are under the regular care of a genuine medical professional.

A deposition could be interesting if the owner of the beast admitted to doing a two minute phone consultation or just filling out an online questionnaire in order to obtain the letter that supposedly documents the need for an ESA.

It could be interesting if potential employers would ask about ESAs and use the answers to decide whether the person is suitable for a stressful job (aren't all jobs stressful at times) or a job that might require travel.

Maybe the FA is now entitled to being an ESA lion or cougar to work so that it can eat any ESA dogs that are encountered? It could be trained to respond preemptively to the presence of a fake ESA vest.

Why can't other passengers get letters from qualified medical professionals stating that they have a fear of dogs and the prescribed remedy is a canine-free flight?

SouthernCross likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 25, 2019 at 6:26 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Gold
Not sure there’s any consistent policy on this topic...

My anecdote is the following:

On Christmas Eve 2014 I was flying a HNL-PHX redeye... I take my seat in the bulkhead (LUS A320 as I recall) and shut my eyes. Five minutes later, a woman with a basset hound sits in the middle seat... I grew up with a basset hound-and generally do like dogs-but there was not a chance in hell that I was going to fly overnight next to a panting, drooly basset.

I casually asked the FA if there were any non-middle seats open on the aircraft.. 2 minutes later she had me op-up’ed to F!
satman40 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Moving the person with the ESA would likely be deemed discriminatory and that’s why the person with the allergy is moved.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Moving the person with the ESA would likely be deemed discriminatory and that’s why the person with the allergy is moved.
But why is it OK to discriminate against those with allergies? In fact, why would the allergy even need to be disclosed? One should just be able to say that there's a special medical need not to be seated near an animal. That would seem to parallel how other medical disabilities are handled.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:34 am

If a medical professional has certified the need for an ESA without ongoing physical interaction with the person concerned, do they not leave themselves open to being sued for malpractice, with potential loss of relevant licences?
nancypants and altabello like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
LOL I normally completely ignore the pop up ads, but anyone else notice the ads on this page cuz some computer ad program saw the thread title? I have three different ads on my page for ESA registries.

Now I am not saying that some of these might not be real ESA registries, but could there be a chance at least one of these is an "Online sell you a ESA card for little Fluffy for a price" outfit? Jus wondering.

Here is one
belfordrocks likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:46 am

I understand the desire and possible need for someone to fly with an ESA. That being said, where does it say that said pet/ESA needs to fly for free. I think that if you bring a pet/ESA that you should have to buy a seat for the creature. If Airlines did this, the sudden drop in ESA requests would drop. This is a creature that takes up space and unfortunately often the space of another passenger. Your need to have a huge dog that occupies space ends where my seat begins. NOW that I have said that, I have friends that train Guide Dogs for the Blind, true service animals are TRAINED and even though they are generally larger dogs manage to fold up into a small area and stay there until advised as they are "working". ESA's are not trained and are NOT service dogs. They are pets that like all pets give us humans a lot of comfort.
GrumpyYoungMan and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by Oxnardjan
I understand the desire and possible need for someone to fly with an ESA. That being said, where does it say that said pet/ESA needs to fly for free. I think that if you bring a pet/ESA that you should have to buy a seat for the creature. If Airlines did this, the sudden drop in ESA requests would drop. This is a creature that takes up space and unfortunately often the space of another passenger. Your need to have a huge dog that occupies space ends where my seat begins. NOW that I have said that, I have friends that train Guide Dogs for the Blind, true service animals are TRAINED and even though they are generally larger dogs manage to fold up into a small area and stay there until advised as they are "working". ESA's are not trained and are NOT service dogs. They are pets that like all pets give us humans a lot of comfort.
As my experience with some rescue dog trainer, who trained their dog for several years and tried to take the examination for certification. What they had told me is that even a well train dog, the dog itself will feel extremely pressure when it goes to a totally new environment, especially enclosed with lots of people. Some dog may need consistently comfort and command by owner/trainer to remain well behave, some dog just completely unable to do it due to its natural behavior.

I have visited one of their rescue and command examination at all. Usually during the practice and training, all the dogs were doing extremely well. However, once weather and examiner present, almost all the dogs will have some issue that either fail or barely pass the exam

Therefore in short, I never trust the so call emotional service animal could be well behave at all...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Start with me saying that I am a dog lover...completely devoted to our two dogs. However, let's be real. There is no such thing as an Emotional Support Animal. Sorry, if a person is so feeble minded that he or she needs an animal to keep it together, it would seem that confinement to an institution would be in order. I would posit that in every case the claim of needing "emotional support" is phony. Instead this is a person who wants free transport for the dog and wants to avoid paying to have the animal cared for while traveling. Said another way, the world worked just fine before some touchy feely moron invented the concept of emotional support animals.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Start with me saying that I am a dog lover...completely devoted to our two dogs. However, let's be real. There is no such thing as an Emotional Support Animal. Sorry, if a person is so feeble minded that he or she needs an animal to keep it together, it would seem that confinement to an institution would be in order. I would posit that in every case the claim of needing "emotional support" is phony. Instead this is a person who wants free transport for the dog and wants to avoid paying to have the animal cared for while traveling. Said another way, the world worked just fine before some touchy feely moron invented the concept of emotional support animals.
I largely agree, with the sole exception of dogs owned by combat veterans with PTSD.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
No doubt a gross generalisation but the overall impression I get of seemingly scam emotional support animals is that the owners look very well-off.(the type who might buy their offspring's way into college)
Not always do the owners appear to be well off. I was flying home from Vegas in F and in the row in front of me, the most raggedy people sat down with TWO 20-ish pound grungy mutts. These dogs were not in a carrier (bulkhead row) and they were permitted to sit on the middle divider with one of their disgusting noses facing back toward me and my seatmate. We both looked at one another with a knowing glance. He was a tall guy and he crossed his right leg so that his foot bopped the dog on its nose. The dog was then moved...but even during meal service, the mutts were sitting on the owners' laps and partially on the tray tables. Gross. Anyhoo....that is one of the reasons I travel with antibacterial wipes.
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Airline *and* owner. The airline has a positive duty of care towards employees and if they are being slack about allowing any old animal on board as an "emotional support animal" then they bear some of responsibility. Up to a court to decide how much, and for how much.

5 stitches is not "nipped" by the dog.
Yes, a "nip" does not need stitches...a BITE does. I was bitten by a dog on my hand once, though, and the ER doc did not stitch me up because he said they rarely do so with animal bites...something about the bacteria still possibly being in the wound. Eek.

This ESA stuff needs to end.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Let's not forget ESCKs (emotional support concierge keys). While still not having received widespread recognition in the scientific community, or rather any community for that matter, they can help EPs on elite-heavy routes overcome gate PALL upgrade anxiety.
C17PSGR and belfordrocks like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
I largely agree, with the sole exception of dogs owned by combat veterans with PTSD.
Why?

This "problem" is largely one of the airlines' own making, in their greedy pursuit for ancillary revenues. I think the in-cabin pet fee is something like $150 each way. More than many tickets, and the dog doesn't get a seat. It also needs to stay in a carrier under the seat. Now obviously the issues in recent years with transporting pets as cargo has compounded this somewhat, but I don't think *that* many people want to travel with their 50lb dog. (Most ESAs I see are lap pets, but of course there are exceptions).

Charge no more than $25 each-way (maybe plus a refundable security deposit?), raise the bar higher for ESA clearance, and I think a lot of the problem goes away (to the extent it's really a problem -- I read a LOT more about misbehaving passengers than misbehaving dogs, but maybe that's just because there are more passengers flying).
chrisny2, on-a-stick and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by CLTUSCAPTIVE
Many dogs trained to assist individuals with PTSD are trained service animals. They are trained to keep space open around the person to prevent close encounters that may trigger an attack. They also are trained to sense and respond to anxiety to prevent an escalation of symptoms, as well respond to events known to trigger an attack to prevent/reduce reactions.
on-a-stick and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Segments

Many dogs trained to assist individuals with PTSD are trained service animals. They are trained to keep space open around the person to prevent close encounters that may trigger an attack. They also are trained to sense and respond to anxiety to prevent an escalation of symptoms, as well respond to events known to trigger an attack to prevent/reduce reactions.
However, if they're trained to keep space around their owners, itn't this a risk in inevitably crowded environments such as an airplane? The dog could seee biting a FA or seatmate as just doing their job.

BTW, are ESAs allowed to be up on airline seats and armrests? I thought they were supposed to stay on the floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.