Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA FA bitten by purported emotional support animal / ESA 22 Jul 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:40 pm

Is there a way for airlines to ban ESAs without actually banning them?
​​​​​
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Was the dog quarantined? Wiould need to check for rabies.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by mvoight
What medical professional prescribed her 2 ESAs?
It is bad enough to have 1, but 2 should NEVER BE PERMITTED
amazing
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by garykung
The FA can't sue in most of the case. FAs are covered by Workers' Compensation. In most of the case, only AA or its insurer can sue.
A misunderstanding of the law, at least in most states. The employee can't sue his employer due to worker's comp. But the employee can sue a third-party. (This does vary from state to state.)
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by garykung
It varies, but some WC have psychological benefits.

But we can agree on this - whatever the FA can get from WC, any further lawsuit will not help the FA to get more.
Sorry, but see my later post. This is wrong.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On DL, FAs and other employees are allowed to bring ESAs on board when they travel as NRSA. So are buddy pass riders.

I wonder whether a documented need for an ESA would make a pilot be considered psychologically unfit for work (as a pilot)?
They are in AA as well. A recent story has an AA FA NRSA flying with TWO alleged ESAs.

Was this American flight attendant happy with the overall experience, though? No — because of “[t]he ground personnel at the airport, in the boarding, we had super bad experience with American.” It turns out she was traveling with two emotional support dogs, and felt the gate agent was rude to her about how quickly she boarded and the bags she was bringing on in addition to the dogs. Air France is one of the most dog-friendly airlines in the world.
She had the chutzpah to complain AF allowed both dogs without problem, but the AA GA gave her grief. If she requires two Emotional Support Animals to fly, how is it she is fit for duty as an FA?

Link

Another problem here is anyone can pay money, fill out an online form and get a letter from a licensed health professional documenting the “need” for an ESA.,
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Another problem here is anyone can pay money, fill out an online form and get a letter from a licensed health professional documenting the “need” for an ESA.,
To this, when incidents happen, the name of the physician signing the form should be made public, no?
In the case of the bitten FA, the one signing the form should have more responsibility than the pax and should be brought to court as well.
The publicity would deter other physicians of signing ESA forms for their friends (or clients) when they really don't need one.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Not sure there’s any consistent policy on this topic...

My anecdote is the following:

On Christmas Eve 2014 I was flying a HNL-PHX redeye... I take my seat in the bulkhead (LUS A320 as I recall) and shut my eyes. Five minutes later, a woman with a basset hound sits in the middle seat... I grew up with a basset hound-and generally do like dogs-but there was not a chance in hell that I was going to fly overnight next to a panting, drooly basset.

I casually asked the FA if there were any non-middle seats open on the aircraft.. 2 minutes later she had me op-up’ed to F!
Boo. I'd gladly switch seats to play with the basset. Arrrooooo...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The airlines need to charge fee for ESA , it is about as easy to get as a handicap sticker or a paid sick day off,
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by satman40
The airlines need to charge fee for ESA , it is about as easy to get as a handicap sticker or a paid sick day off,
That will never happen. But following their own guidelines rigorously, airlines will reduce the incidence of ESA substantially. Tightening of guidelines by USDOT will help considerably, but the airlines can do more than they have.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:06 am

This thread has left the track some time ago, going from discussing a specific instance of a purported Emotional Support Animal to the usual, general, not AA specific, discussion of Emotional Support Animals on airplanes.

This thread will join several other closed threads. Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.