FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JY1024 Jan 1, 2018 10:23 am

ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to our 2019 Newbie Lounge Thread! :)

/AA Moderator Team

woodardhsd Jan 2, 2019 7:11 am

ARCHIVE: 2019 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE sticky thread

Flew from SDF to CLT on New Years Eve. Flight was supposed to be on a CRJ900, seats 13A & 13C. The plane was changed sometime to a CRJ200, but we kept the same seats. Unfortunately, 13A and 13C are the last 2 seats on the plane right next to the lavatory, instead of 1 row in front of the exit row on the 900.

Is this normal when an aircraft is changed? I would think they would try to keep everyone close to their original seat locations.

Zelucifer Jan 2, 2019 10:31 am

Booked a T class award on AA through BA, using my AA FF #. Is there anyway to upgrade it? Lax - Hnl if it matters. I've got miles and business extra upgrades available, but I'm having so much trouble finding any information on T fares. Thanks!

JDiver Jan 2, 2019 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30599831)
Booked a T class award on AA through BA, using my AA FF #. Is there anyway to upgrade it? Lax - Hnl if it matters. I've got miles and business extra upgrades available, but I'm having so much trouble finding any information on T fares. Thanks!

CK or EXP can upgrade AA awards domestically. Other than securing a Business award, I’m unaware of any other way to upgrade.

trmoncrief Jan 2, 2019 2:49 pm

I have a booked flight to Hawaii in coach and I'm interested in upgrading to premium economy. Do these prices fluctuate with sales?

Thanks in advance!

JJeffrey Jan 2, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30600990)
I have a booked flight to Hawaii in coach and I'm interested in upgrading to premium economy. Do these prices fluctuate with sales?

Thanks in advance!

The only way to do this is to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. As more of the premium economy seats sell the premium economy fares will increase as the lower fare buckets sell out. So yes, as the price of premium economy increases the fare difference you will have to pay will also increase.

Zelucifer Jan 2, 2019 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30599967)
CK or EXP can upgrade AA awards domestically. Other than securing a Business award, I’m unaware of any other way to upgrade.

Sorry, would you mind clarifying? Are you saying I can use a business extra upgrade (assuming C availability), or that I can only do so if I have CK or EXP status? I think it's the former, but I just want to be clear before I get my hopes up. Thanks!

JJeffrey Jan 2, 2019 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30601365)
Sorry, would you mind clarifying? Are you saying I can use a business extra upgrade (assuming C availability), or that I can only do so if I have CK or EXP status? I think it's the former, but I just want to be clear before I get my hopes up. Thanks!

You cannot upgrade an award ticket with Business Extra certs, miles/copay, SWUs, or anything else. Outside of the caveat below*, award tickets are not upgradeable, the only thing you can do is pay the higher mileage for a business class award (if it's available).

*EXPs can upgrade most award tickets within North America via the same UDU/500-mi. upgrade process as paid tickets, only with waitlist status behind other EXPs on paid tickets.

JDiver Jan 2, 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer (Post 30601365)

AA EXP and PRO get complimentary “domestic” (“UDU”) upgrades if available, EXP (and CK) - even on awards. But they’re at the very lowest rung of the priority ladder. But I’m unaware any BXP1 upgrades can be used on other than B, N, O, Q and S fares, on AA marketed, operated flights on -001 ticketing. T won’t work with BXP1.

Possibly, PE might be sold at the tucket counter as a Load Factor Based Upgrade.

oldmanbob Jan 2, 2019 8:43 pm

Quick question... I am going to use points to take the wife and I from Charlotte to London, via Raleigh one way, and then Paris to Charlotte via JFK for our return , all on AA planes, flying business class both ways. I read that I should arrive at least 3 hrs early for international travel and figured I could bide my extra waiting time in the Admirals clubs after checking in.
On the AA website, the Admiral club rules I was reading says the clubs are open to first and business class on international travel, but then has an asterisk at the end of the sentence. The asterisk says ... *Departing flight must be the same day or before 6 a.m. the following day. Non-revenue passengers aren’t eligible." Because I am flying on reward points, is that considered non rev .. thus making the wife and I unable to use the club whiles we wait for our flights? Or is non rev referring to the folks that are flying on vouchers or employee travel only?
Thanks in advance!

JDiver Jan 2, 2019 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by oldmanbob (Post 30602195)
Quick question... I am going to use points to take the wife and I from Charlotte to London, via Raleigh one way, and then Paris to Charlotte via JFK for our return , all on AA planes, flying business class both ways. I read that I should arrive at least 3 hrs early for international travel and figured I could bide my extra waiting time in the Admirals clubs after checking in.
On the AA website, the Admiral club rules I was reading says the clubs are open to first and business class on international travel, but then has an asterisk at the end of the sentence. The asterisk says ... *Departing flight must be the same day or before 6 a.m. the following day. Non-revenue passengers aren’t eligible." Because I am flying on reward points, is that considered non rev .. thus making the wife and I unable to use the club whiles we wait for our flights? Or is non rev referring to the folks that are flying on vouchers or employee travel only?
Thanks in advance!

The “non-rev” term doesn’t include passengers flying on Awards. You’ll be fine and have access to Admirals Clubs at CLT, RDU (If there is one, I can’t recall) and at CDG (or Cathay Business Lounge on the return and JFK Club or Flagship Lounge. Enjoy.

JBG89 Jan 2, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Folks,

As an EXP flying on Cathay First (A fare) would my EQM be 1.5x? Would i receive any additional bonus on EQM with EXP status?

Thank You

JDiver Jan 2, 2019 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89 (Post 30602483)
Hi Folks,

As an EXP flying on Cathay First (A fare) would my EQM be 1.5x? Would i receive any additional bonus on EQM with EXP status?

Thank You

You can only earn a maximum of 1.5 EQM on Cathay.

On A, you’d be able to earn 2.0 EQM on AA, AY, BA, IB, JL only, unless on an AA marketed fare.

Nope, beyond the 500 minimum, no status will Earn you bonus EQM, only award miles.

trmoncrief Jan 3, 2019 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 30601038)
The only way to do this is to pay the fare difference between economy and premium economy. As more of the premium economy seats sell the premium economy fares will increase as the lower fare buckets sell out. So yes, as the price of premium economy increases the fare difference you will have to pay will also increase.

But do the upgrade prices decrease when their is a sale?

JJeffrey Jan 3, 2019 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by trmoncrief (Post 30605581)
But do the upgrade prices decrease when their is a sale?

Of course, you pay the fare difference, so if there is a PE sale and the PE fares drop the fare difference you'd have to pay would also drop.

If you pay $1000 for your economy ticket, and PE is $1500, you would pay the fare difference of $500 to up-fare to PE. If AA has a sale or the PE fares drop to $1250, then you would only pay the fare difference of $250 to up-fare to PE.