FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

MADPhil Jan 6, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by SussexFly (Post 30617169)
Having never flown AA before, let alone AA Business, what the dress code? I.e formal wear as it business, smart casual, or just anything?
Ive walked into business cabins on other airlines and been scowled at for wearing shorts and t-shirt, even in the Caribbean!

On a night flight you may even want to change into something comfortable like pajamas to make the most of the opportunity to sleep. I have only flown AA to STX and SJU but many first/business class passengers wear shorts and gaudy shirts. I have not noticed if the remainder scowl!

rens Jan 6, 2019 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30617214)
Your dress code is the dress code. It’s your ticket, your seat, your clothing. Be comfortable, or not; it’s your choice. If someone wishes to scowl, that’s their problem.

You will have Flagship Lounge (near D30, iirc) lounge access and on arrival you can stop by the Arrivals Lounge (closes at 2 pm, after immigration and customs on the second floor - look for signs) for breakfast, a shower, even have your clothes pressed.

Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm

MADPhil Jan 6, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by rens (Post 30619561)
Does this apply to LHR? The OP is asking about LIR, Liberia Costa Rica. At any rate the flite from Miami arrives there after 2:00 pm

Oops, I didn't read past LIR = Liberia so no need for pajamas then. No arrivals lounge but colorful shirt and Bermuda shorts are fine.

Jbro121 Jan 6, 2019 8:03 pm

Upgrade Priority

Which has a higher upgrade priority, SWU or mileage upgrade?

carmelsown Jan 7, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!

ClayPot Jan 8, 2019 12:34 am

Charge to cancel and redeposit miles for an AnyTime business award

I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks

JJeffrey Jan 8, 2019 5:50 am

Originally Posted by ClayPot (Post 30625937)
I have no status. Can I cancel my AnyTime and have my miles redeposited into my account and what is the fee?
-Thanks

Yep, $150 for the first award redeposited to your account, and $25 for each additional award redeposited to the same account at the same time.

JDiver Jan 8, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by carmelsown (Post 30623932)
Hi all,

Happy new year! I am loyal to AA and mostly travel domestically in the USA and frequently enough that I'd like to buy a lounge membership this year since I enjoy the experience and frankly it's worth it to me. I would consider the Citi credit card that grants access but as I see it, the annual fee is $450 each year no matter what which brings me to my question- it seems that, per their site T&C, Alaska Lounge annual memberships are $450 with reciprocity to Admirals Clubs globally? I understand that you may not get the international, partner lounge access overseas that Admirals Club may grant you but again, I travel almost exclusively domestically. Given Alaska Lounge's reciprocity with Admirals Club, this would seem to me to be a legitimate way to gain access to Admirals Clubs domestically while paying $450 for this year's membership rather than $550 (or $650 once the fee increases)?

Has anyone heard of Alaska Lounge members being turned away from Admirals Clubs domestically or having their membership be inferior in some way? It would only be worth it to me if my Alaska Lounge membership would be treated as good as an Admirals Club one (I can deal with a glare or snide comment from the reception desk as long as I get in haha)

Thank you!

Under certain circumstances, Admirals Club members access Alaska lounges. But I’m guessing not too many of us here are as familiar with Alaska’s policy as in the Alaska forum.

But I’ve never experienced or observed a person with lounge access denigrated or poked fun at because their access was because of a reciprocity agreement or any reason, unless they were trying to bluff their way in without genuine access.

For AA, the Executuve Card is a less expensive way to gain full Club membership, including reciprocal access to Alaska and some other lounges.

Ceres Jan 8, 2019 9:35 am

I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?

JDiver Jan 8, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30627442)
I booked award travel one way from MCO - SOF. Coming back when I tried to book a multi-city SOF - LHR and then LHR to MCO, obviously with a stopover in LHR, I could not get the milesaver award from LHR to MCO.
So I booked a one way from LHR - MCO. So I now have two one way awards. MCO - SOF and LHR to MCO. Will it violate any rules for me to book an award trip from SOF to LHR? Or should I pay cash to travel on BA from SOF to LHR in the middle of the two one way award bookings?

ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.

Ceres Jan 8, 2019 9:50 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30627485)
ALL AA awards are one way; even what appears to be a round trip on one PNR is actually two one way awards. You can book SOF-LHR any way you wish, just give yourself plenty of connection time at LHR.

Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.

c2183rdcav Jan 8, 2019 10:07 am

Upgrade

I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will

JDiver Jan 8, 2019 11:46 am

Originally Posted by c2183rdcav (Post 30627586)
I will be using my AA miles for an economy ticket x 2. After I purchase using miles, can I buy an up grade into premium economy?

Will

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Generally, no. The usual way to upgrade is to actually exchange for an award in the higher class of service. AA doesn’t charge redeposit or change fees for that.

And unfortunately, AA currently doesn’t offer Premium Economy awards. Some of us believe that will change toward the end of the year, when all AA widebodies (other than the retiring A330-300 and 767 aircraft) are retrofitted with PE.

There’s a chance cash upgrades might be offered the day of departure at the counters or kiosks.

Mwenenzi Jan 8, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ceres (Post 30627518)
Thanks, when I tried the SOF to LHR to MCO with the stopover in LHR. The saver awards on AA metal disappeared. Must be part of that married logic stuff you guys keep talking about.

How long in LHR were you trying for? AA does not allow stopovers onwards. The most you can have is 23:59 transit. (may just be terminology re stopover layover transit)

kaydee7 Jan 8, 2019 10:08 pm

I did do a search (maybe not well), but has anyone actually compared the bulkhead to non-bulkhead seats in PE for AA. Seatguru always cautions them for having no underseat storage. However I can't siphon through any more distinguishers or people who made a direct comparison.