Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by scubadu
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would put any spend at all on this card in order to obtain increasingly worthless AA miles... I'm shocked at how many on here imply they use this card for spend.

I have this card. It's a significantly discounted Admiral's Club family membership for both my wife and I. I've carried it several years and after obtaining the initial bonus the only spend that goes on this card is one item per year; the annual fee. That is it. There are far, far better cards for daily spend and travel benefits than this card.

This is a 100% sock drawer card...

Regards
You raise a good point as usual! I tended to use it for the 10K EQMs at $40K, but since I have been just buying more business class/premium economy fares as of late, don't really need it.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
but also Delta SkyClubs and PriorityPass lounges.
I was completely unaware of this. I will check out the travel benefits on their website. I've had an amex cold car for 32 years and haven't used it in a few but still keep in active. I wonder if the onetime fee is waived since i"m already an AMEX member.

Next I will see if DL and AMEX Centurion are at DFW (I believe so).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GTITAN
You raise a good point as usual! I tended to use it for the 10K EQMs at $40K, but since I have been just buying more business class/premium economy fares as of late, don't really need it.

Safe Travels
Yes, this is absolutely a viable reason to use this card and I assume some do utilize this benefit, which makes complete sense to me if that is part of someones plan. However, I've given up on chasing status, so for me personally, I just wouldn't put $40K on this card in pursuit of status. And I need more AA miles like I need a hold in the head...

My main point, is I'm just surprised/perplexed at how emotional people are about "travel protection" benefits, quite surprising to me...

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs

My main point, is I'm just surprised/perplexed at how emotional people are about "travel protection" benefits, quite surprising to me...
My big loss in this is rental car insurance when renting a car outside North America. My own car insurance does not cover me, so I depend on the credit card insurance, rather than paying the rental car company high rates.

It's not emotion. It's dollars and cents, big dollars when considering the cost of rental car insurance.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
My big loss in this is rental car insurance when renting a car outside North America. My own car insurance does not cover me, so I depend on the credit card insurance, rather than paying the rental car company high rates.

It's not emotion. It's dollars and cents, big dollars when considering the cost of rental car insurance.
I have a lot of credit cards. I literally can't think of a credit card I have that doesn't provide rental car/CDW insurance and at a far more reasonable rate than this card if that is all you care about. Literally my lowest end card, with a $49 annual fee, has CDW insurance. Of course, it's not primary, its secondary, but so was the coverage offered by this card if I remember correctly.

Again, if that is all you care about you can obtain that coverage with another card that would offer you better benefits as well as a more valuable currency than AA miles.

Regards
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:47 pm

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would put any spend at all on this card in order to obtain increasingly worthless AA miles... I'm shocked at how many on here imply they use this card for spend.
Isn't this part of the current AA business model? To sell nearly worthless miles in every possible way. And let's face it, most of us fall into this trap one way or the other. So the more worthless the miles are, the more profitable is the business.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I have a lot of credit cards. I literally can't think of a credit card I have that doesn't provide rental car/CDW insurance and at a far more reasonable rate than this card if that is all you care about. Literally my lowest end card, with a $49 annual fee, has CDW insurance. Of course, it's not primary, its secondary, but so was the coverage offered by this card if I remember correctly.

Again, if that is all you care about you can obtain that coverage with another card that would offer you better benefits as well as a more valuable currency than AA miles.

Regards
That's really helpful, thanks.

I have had the Citi Aadvantage card since 1988 and have been rather lazy about exploring options. I will do so, now that they are removing a major benefit that I use every time I rent a car.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
That's really helpful, thanks.

I have had the Citi Aadvantage card since 1988 and have been rather lazy about exploring options. I will do so, now that they are removing a major benefit that I use every time I rent a car.
Take a look at the link I shared above, to the CSP. It actually gives primary (rather than secondary) rental car insurance and has decent travel protection benefits as well.

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
$550 as others have stated, including $200 annual Uber credits, $200 travel ancillary fee credit (on one airline only) and $50 semi-annual Saks credit.
Of course you have Centurion lounge access, but also Delta SkyClubs and PriorityPass lounges.
A point of clarification on access to Delta SkyClubs is that you must be a same day ticketed passenger on Delta to get Sky Club access.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent

A point of clarification on access to Delta SkyClubs is that you must be a same day ticketed passenger on Delta to get Sky Club access.
By this fall, that effectively will be true and required of any of the big "US3" airlines (AA,DL,UA) whether using paid membership or credit card access.

Regards
ijgordon and GTITAN like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This just makes no sense. If travel protections were of primary concern, why not just get something like the Chase Sapphire Preserve for $95 per year?
I would like to know more about the Chase Sapphire Preserve! Does it come in strawberry? That's my favorite type of preserve!
scubadu and JRomulus like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I would like to know more about the Chase Sapphire Preserve! Does it come in strawberry? That's my favorite type of preserve!
Ugghh... well played my friend!

For everyone, it's the Chase Sapphire Preferred

Typing too fast today. I'll correct my post!

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I was completely unaware of this. I will check out the travel benefits on their website. I've had an amex cold car for 32 years and haven't used it in a few but still keep in active. I wonder if the onetime fee is waived since i"m already an AMEX member.

Next I will see if DL and AMEX Centurion are at DFW (I believe so).
You can only use the Amex Plat card to enter DL Sky Clubs if you have a same day DL flight (oops, I see someone has already posted this above).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:54 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
I have recovered a little over $1K with the price rewind over the past 3 years and have used the travel disruption insurance a few times without a hitch. Pretty much paid the annual fees. Like getting AC for free. This is a big devaluation for me. After 4MM, 15 years as EP and 5 as CK with AA, I fell to LT PLAT last year a few years after retirement. I have been flying UA more than AA recently since I usually buy P fares where UA consistently beats AA where I fly, sometimes by hundreds of dollars, and PLAT does not really add anything to the equation. I have the UA Explorer card and was considering upgrading to the Club card since I spend more time in ORD Terminal 1 than Terminal 3 these days, and dropping the AA World Elite Exec card. I have been using the AA card for UA purchases solely due to the better travel disruption benefits with the AA card. If Chase does not follow Citi in dropping all of their similar benefits altogether, the decision has been made easy. I'll keep the Costco card since it does still have some valuable benefits.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Guess I'm not using this card for rentals anymore. It used to be great as it used to cover cars up to 100k, now only 70k, and soon, no coverage. Sucks for people like me who don't own a car or have car insurance. I have other cards I can put in on but prefer this one to sock away miles for the day when I am no longer on expat wages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.