Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Most interesting. I’m retired and am flying less, so I use my AA MasterCard to keep some miles coming in. Flying a few times a year is a big change for me. I do various things to keep family members miles alive. Dining, shopping, buying some miles now and then. I hope AA comes up for a sweetener for the credit cards.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
My big loss in this is rental car insurance when renting a car outside North America. My own car insurance does not cover me, so I depend on the credit card insurance, rather than paying the rental car company high rates.

It's not emotion. It's dollars and cents, big dollars when considering the cost of rental car insurance.

American Express provides primary rental car coverage for $19.99 for as I recall for a rental of up to two weeks. I believe offered in in most but not all countries, and the card must be enrolled, and re-enrolled when card renewed. (Automatic coverage once enrolled, but you have to be somewhat careful it takes--meaning you might need to call and have added on travel agent or third-party bookings).

Also, I am under the impression Chase has dropped travel interruption insurance from a number of it's card products as well. At least based on that impression we had shifted hotel use from Chase Hyatt and Chase Marriott cards to Cit for that reason.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
If the rule includes "part of" then wouldn't the car rental itself be part of the trip and be covered???
If I recall correctly, it more more along the lines of paying for the international travel. If you paid the airfare on the Exec card you were covered. If you were on an award flight and used the card for the taxes and fees, then you were also covered. If the card wasn’t used at all, then you weren’t covered. It might well be that simply using the card for the auto rental only meant you were covered, but I wasn’t going to take that chance, so had always used the card for some part of the airfare.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I remember a few years back when Citi stripped the Citi Prestige of the golf benefits, free hotel stay benefits and Admirals Club benefits. I dumped that card almost immediately. But this...this is moronic.
Spiff, SouthernCross and GTITAN like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by meunger11
I remember a few years back when Citi stripped the Citi Prestige of the golf benefits, free hotel stay benefits and Admirals Club benefits. I dumped that card almost immediately. But this...this is moronic.
I also miss the free golf benefits... hope Prestige can add that back later...
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sasumomomo
I also miss the free golf benefits... hope Prestige can add that back later...
I wouldn't hold your breath for that...

Regards
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rumboj

I think people will still apply after hearing the pitch. What Flyertalkers seem to forget is that most people on here are not “the average flyer”. The average flyer isn’t trying to get an AA Citi card for ANY of the benefits being gutted. They are getting it for the bonus miles that they will use to visit grandma twice this year instead of once. They will happily spend 12,500 miles each way to fly MIA to ATL RT when cash prices are less than $200 RT.

Heck, I am a frequent flyer, have multiple AA Citi cards and don’t place much value on any of these benefits. Never even considered them when getting the cards.
This is exactly right, the average person has no idea about the rental insurance or trip protection. They lived on so long because Citi saves money because of low usage, but loses money on the people that travel all of the time and are aware of these benefits and would rather spend money on small discounts on hot apps and services that appeal to the masses i.e. uber/lyft/postemates etc. I'm sure they did their research and feel that more people will sign up for $10 off uber rides than free trip protection.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
All of them.
I know. ALL. ALL. ALL.
But are you SURE the Costco Citi card isn't an exception.
Pop-up does not pop-up for either the regular Costco card or the Costco Business card.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
The Costco card is reportedly partly exempt from some of the cutbacks, but I haven't seen the specifics.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by AjFlyer
I know. ALL. ALL. ALL.
But are you SURE the Costco Citi card isn't an exception.
Pop-up does not pop-up for either the regular Costco card or the Costco Business card.
Check in benefits section of website. I didn’t get a pop up either for my AAdvantage exec but it was there.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground

Check in benefits section of website. I didn’t get a pop up either for my AAdvantage exec but it was there.
When a "breaking news" event happens, many of the "facts" reported on the first day, or even the first couple days are eventually proved false or are modified.
It took going to the FAQ on the Costco Citi consumer card site to find this (Costco Business card site doesn't show any updates (yet):

Card Benefit Changes (Effective 09/22/19) What changes are being made to my card benefits? Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.

What Protection Benefits will I still have on my card? You will continue to have Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service, Travel & Emergency Assistance, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty on this account. You can view Your Guide to Protection Benefits on this site under "Quick Links". It contains complete coverage details, including coverage limits, what’s covered and what’s not covered. Coverage details for these remaining benefits are not being changed.
As a cardmember, you will also continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO
® Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.

Will other card benefits be impacted by these changes? Only card benefits that are being discontinued are included in these changes.

Last edited by AjFlyer; Jun 27, 2019 at 2:52 pm Reason: legibility
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:49 pm

for a very expensive Citi Exec World Elite card that comes in an impressive box for a big "wow" first impression, i can't imagine they just drop all these travel benefits and replace them wit nothing. I know that the box and everything is just hype to make it "feel" more special than a credit card that gets you in the Admirals Club, but if they want to maintain their market position of something elite, they will have to replace what they're cutting. For a bit I thought maybe it was just their way of announcing a different benefits underwriter, but clearly it hurts their image if they can't announce what's replacing at same time as what's being cut. Clearly they don't have things ironed out. My card expires later this year after the cut off, and this benefit cut is the tipping point for me. Combined with the coming requirement to fly AA to get in the club, I'll definitely drop the card. I spread my travel to whoever's cheapest, and Centurion clubs aren't going to be a good alternative with their locations.

On the other hand, when Barclays devalued their Aviator cards, they waived annual fees for me and I know others posted they got theirs waived too. Perhaps Citi will have to ante up in a strong way to get people to keep this card if they don't replace the travel benefit.
GTITAN and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayer
American Express provides primary rental car coverage for $19.99 for as I recall for a rental of up to two weeks. I believe offered in in most but not all countries, and the card must be enrolled, and re-enrolled when card renewed. (Automatic coverage once enrolled, but you have to be somewhat careful it takes--meaning you might need to call and have added on travel agent or third-party bookings).
AMEX does not cover Italy, Australia and New Zealand. One time an agent said "they were told that AMEX could not come to an agreement with these countries' governments."

Note - these countries the CDW are mandatory by the law, but then South Africa is the same - yet AMEX covers South Africa.

Citi was Worldwide coverage, so as Chase and even the lowly Capital One. What they do is, to cover the "excess", i.e. the deductible that is after the mandatory which is built in the rate of rental, not a separate item, but virtually all would show how much "excess" you are still liable - that is where the Citi/Chase/CapOne benefits would pick up.

We have been using AMEX for rental cars in countries it covers, and Chase Sapphire Reserve in countries AMEX does not cover. Our upcoming trip involves both Italy and Australia - so CSR is it. We can only hope that Chase would not go down this path.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 27, 2019 at 11:31 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by lostfly
Isn't this part of the current AA business model? To sell nearly worthless miles in every possible way. And let's face it, most of us fall into this trap one way or the other. So the more worthless the miles are, the more profitable is the business.
Full planes = less reason for management to worry about the value in these programs to retain loyalty. Some airlines are worse than others on this subject (AA has definitely moved to the bottom on this category post BK) but to a certain extent with all carriers these programs have become very profitable in themselves.

Than again, this profit model is required to have lots of ‘suckers’ as well willing to take the place of those who give up this ‘suckers game’ in disgust after figuring out it is just one continuing con job.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
After considering the alternatives, I am applying to Chase Ink preferred for all of my business travel (cell phone coverage), use wife's Sapphire preferred for personal travel.

Only remaining issue is Priority Pass, may add Sapphire Reserve for business travel, once the AF on my Prestige is up on January, but the Prestige 4th night free, any other new benefits may convince me to stay for another year. Either way, Prestige and Premier cards go to the sock drawer, Citi is losing all of our personal and business travel.
Spiff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.