Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by enviroian
I only have one other CC and it's a gold AMEX that I don't use.

I want car rental coverage but also want trip delay. cxl, and lost luggage insurance.

Who else is left
As others have noted Chase does and the rental car coverage is primary and not secondary which Citi was domestically in many/most instances.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GTITAN
As others have noted Chase does and the rental car coverage is primary and not secondary which Citi was domestically in many/most instances.

Safe Travels
So minus the obvious AA specifics (AA mileage earning, Admirals club, etc), it looks like CSR is probably the closest replacement out there for those that want a card with good insurance options, mileage earning, some kind of club access? Or is there another major card to consider besides CSR to replace the AA Exec card?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:13 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So minus the obvious AA specifics (AA mileage earning, Admirals club, etc), it looks like CSR is probably the closest replacement out there for those that want a card with good insurance options, mileage earning, some kind of club access? Or is there another major card to consider besides CSR to replace the AA Exec card?
I looked at all of the options again and moved to CSR. Beats Citi, Amex and the UA Chase cards as far as travel interruption and insurance benefits go. About half of my flying has moved to UA in the past year (now a free agent), so I don't use the AC as much as I used to. I am in the process of burning AA miles so earning more miles is not something I am concerned about. CSR is effectively free for the first 5 years between the $300 annual travel credit and the value of the sign-on bonus points when used through the portal, so I am going to hang on to the Citi card one more year and see how much I use the AC. Going to CSR does not add to my costs for now. The November devaluation where access to the AC is restricted to those with same day AA or OW flights will probably cause me to dump the card since some of my now limited AC use is when I am flying UA or DL.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Does the Amex plat offer travel coverages? May be worth upgrading my gold and dumping my Citi exec card if so.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Does the Amex plat offer travel coverages? May be worth upgrading my gold and dumping my Citi exec card if so.
Amex Plat offers nothing except medical evacuation coverage.
enviroian likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by wjj
I looked at all of the options again and moved to CSR. Beats Citi, Amex and the UA Chase cards as far as travel interruption and insurance benefits go. About half of my flying has moved to UA in the past year (now a free agent), so I don't use the AC as much as I used to. I am in the process of burning AA miles so earning more miles is not something I am concerned about. CSR is effectively free for the first 5 years between the $300 annual travel credit and the value of the sign-on bonus points when used through the portal, so I am going to hang on to the Citi card one more year and see how much I use the AC. Going to CSR does not add to my costs for now. The November devaluation where access to the AC is restricted to those with same day AA or OW flights will probably cause me to dump the card since some of my now limited AC use is when I am flying UA or DL.
I'm thinking CSR is the place for me. I looked at my 2018 summary and I earned about 38k miles. Based on that same spending in the categories, I would have earned about 85k Chase UR points. The only time AA miles would win for me in that comparison is in an international J saver award for 57.5k, if available.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:44 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by BLG
My old Chase Marriott card, which was grandfathered in, has all the travel insurances (delay, cancellation, baggage, CDW, etc.). It has, for the moment, become my go to card for travel. Don't know what is offered on the new Bonvoy cards but until they come after my good old Marriott card it is covering all the bases. Plus it gives me the certificate for one free night a year which I always end up using at an airport hotel somewhere in the world.

At the very least I will be cancelling two of my three AAdvantage cards. Will keep one for adding miles to the account when I want to. It's a pretty staggering devaluation of the card. Time to look around some at all the options.
Just got my new Chase Marriott Bonvoy card and it has retained all the protections it had before. Very pleased to see that. So now I'll be using it for all travel related spending so I get CDW, lost luggage, trip interruption and cancellation, 500K travel accident insurance, etc. -- and I'll use it for any items I purchase that I want the 6 month protection on. And I'll keep one AAdvantage Citi Card for miles when I want to add to the account. Really a shame what Citi has done. One small note that I happened to pick up -- the travel accident insurance on Chase is in effect even with partial payment for a ticket (fees and taxes on an award for instance) whereas on Citi the whole price of the ticket must be paid on the card. At least that's my understanding. A benefit for one's heirs if traveling on an award :-)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This was the correct answer, but now things may have changed for the better:

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...-select-cards/
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Does the Amex plat offer travel coverages?
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
This was the correct answer, but now things may have changed for the better
I thought that AMEX PLT still had trip interruption coverage (if you bought the ticket using the card). Also, CitiPrestige has retained [only] two per year fourth night hotel benefit.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just really disappointed Citi did this. Changing credit cards for me is a huge deal and it's like changing banks. Hell my divorce was easier than finding a new credit card. Does one think the reason they dropped these benefits is due to high claim costs?

I'll look at AMEX plat. I don't even think AA is a membership rewards partner so that's a deal killer right there. Ugh.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:17 am

I'm just really disappointed Citi did this. Changing credit cards for me is a huge deal and it's like changing banks. Hell my divorce was easier than finding a new credit card. Does one think the reason they dropped these benefits is due to high claim costs?

I'll look at AMEX plat. I don't even think AA is a membership rewards partner so that's a deal killer right there. Ugh.
I made the switch from the AA MC Ex Card being go to to Amex Plt. I kept the AA MC Ex for AC access only. Was not too bad.

Safe Travels
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I kept the AA MC Ex for AC access only. Was not too bad.

Safe Travels
And for AA purchases too?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:51 am

And for AA purchases too?
Nahhhhh, the 2x miles per dollar just were not doing it for me. Amex PLT gives 5x per purchase of fares bought directly at AA.com or on Amex travel portal. I book AA.com almost exclusively. AA Vacations I may use the AA MC Ex since it would give me the 2x, and Amex only gives 1x there, but otherwise that about it.

Safe Travels!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nahhhhh, the 2x miles per dollar just were not doing it for me. Amex PLT gives 5x per purchase of fares bought directly at AA.com or on Amex travel portal. I book AA.com almost exclusively. AA Vacations I may use the AA MC Ex since it would give me the 2x, and Amex only gives 1x there, but otherwise that about it.

Safe Travels!
what airline do you redeem membership miles? Do you also fly whatever airline that is or solely AA?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:43 pm

what airline do you redeem membership miles? Do you also fly whatever airline that is or solely AA?
I almost always fly AA being CLT based domestically and fly OW partners internationally. Redeem on AA or Oneworld Partners. Amex partners with QF, BA, IB, EY and Asia Miles, so OneWorld is covered. I won't be earning AA miles as quickly anymore just through flying, but the 100K or so miles I would get from spend on the AA Mc EX were just devaluing, since I refuse to redeem for anything coach and just redeem when I can get international F/C or B/C,

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.