Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by jacca83
The agents are cluelessl. I called 3 times for another issue last week and 2 out of the 3 calls I was given the wrong information. The level of service and knowledge of these people are AWFUL.
I also called in (after the chat episode). The person I spoke with was much more familiar with the changes but did make the mistake of telling me that price rewind was not affected. A little hard to negotiate an annual fee reduction when the agent isn't completely aware of the changes.
robertablake likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by LovePrunes

On the other hand, when Barclays devalued their Aviator cards, they waived annual fees for me and I know others posted they got theirs waived too. Perhaps Citi will have to ante up in a strong way to get people to keep this card if they don't replace the travel benefit.
They wouldn't waive my Aviator Silver fee. Was yours a silver or red card?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Platinum benefit

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Thanks for the correction, forgot about the change.

What exactly does this mean?
"Guest access is per Card Member, not per Card."
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/...e-guest-policy
If one person happens to have two platinum cards (e.g, one personal and one business) they still can only take in two guests total.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
After considering the alternatives, I am applying to Chase Ink preferred for all of my business travel (cell phone coverage), use wife's Sapphire preferred for personal travel.

Only remaining issue is Priority Pass, may add Sapphire Reserve for business travel, once the AF on my Prestige is up on January, but the Prestige 4th night free, any other new benefits may convince me to stay for another year. Either way, Prestige and Premier cards go to the sock drawer, Citi is losing all of our personal and business travel.
I mean, I'd probably at least wait and see what benefits they add to the cards before making any rash decisions, unless you have an AF due in the very short term.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I mean, I'd probably at least wait and see what benefits they add to the cards before making any rash decisions, unless you have an AF due in the very short term.
Good point but that inspired a chuckle -

”Adding benefits” sounds just as genuine as AA’a announcements about “enhancing the elite programs based on customer feedback.”
Spiff, ijgordon, jacca83 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by enpremiere

Good point but that inspired a chuckle -

”Adding benefits” sounds just as genuine as AA’a announcements about “enhancing the elite programs based on customer feedback.”
I'm the last person to defend Citi, particularly in regard to the Prestige card, but they did add cell phone insurance this year.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
With the Citi changes and not really needing 10K EQMs anymore and AA awards becoming increasingly less useful, my goto AA Ex MC will goto my sock drawer. The tougher question for me is whether to go to the Chase Sapphire Reserve or the AMEX PLT. The lack of transfer partners (12) for Chase is not super thrilling and using either them as cash back is not great compared to just straight out cash back cards. Leaning toward Amex PLT but not all the way there yet.

Safe Travels
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:16 pm

The delta reserve is looking better and better.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I'm the last person to defend Citi, particularly in regard to the Prestige card, but they did add cell phone insurance this year.
Literally, a non-directly travel-related benefit and only one benefit added to the slew removed.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
I wonder if they do that kind of stuff as like a passive "F.U." or so they can just say they added benefits.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JDiver
Message shown on Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard and Citi Prestige cards:
Thanks for posting this JDiver. I would have missed it and I always use my Citi AA card for car rentals. I view this as a big hit to the value of the card. Short term, I’ll put car rentals on Chase Explorer. Long term, I’m wondering about the AA Black Card. AA miles aren’t worth much, and with loss of access to the AC when flyer non-AA/non-partner airlines, this card may not bring enough value to justify its AF. I’ll probably hang onto it for the club membership at least as long as it’s still good with an AS bp; I’m not flying too much AA these days.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Just called in to see if I could product change out my World Elite Exec card and was told I couldn't. Anyone run into issues? I want to keep the AAoA history for this card, but goto a non-AF card.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:44 pm

Ask to switch to the AA Mile-up card

Originally Posted by fL1Pm0d3
Just called in to see if I could product change out my World Elite Exec card and was told I couldn't. Anyone run into issues? I want to keep the AAoA history for this card, but goto a non-AF card.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Executive World EliteTM MasterCard Devaluation

So I received my bill and under the Account Messages, the following benefits will be cancelled.

Worldwide Car Insurance
Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
Trip Cancellation and Interruption protection
Trip Delay protection
Baggage delay protection
Lost Baggage protection
Medical Evacuation
Citi Price Rewind
90 day return protection
Missed event ticket protection
Roadside assistance
All gone after 22 September.

That's a lot of benefits that are getting cut. Are some of these tied with being a Mastercard World Elite?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by abraxis
So I received my bill and under the Account Messages, the following benefits will be cancelled.

Worldwide Car Insurance
Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance
Trip Cancellation and Interruption protection
Trip Delay protection
Baggage delay protection
Lost Baggage protection
Medical Evacuation
Citi Price Rewind
90 day return protection
Missed event ticket protection
Roadside assistance
All gone after 22 September.

That's a lot of benefits that are getting cut. Are some of these tied with being a Mastercard World Elite?
Yeah it stinks. Read thread here: Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.