Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Cards: Major Reductions as of 22 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If I were you, I’d reopen that CSR, pronto.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
If I were you, I’d reopen that CSR, pronto.

Well, it's still open, but I'm going to close it. This is a situation of 'What the Wife Wants' and she wants AA Lounge Access. I'd much rather have/keep the CSR because it's a superior card, but sometimes, you pick your battles and when the wife wants lounge access, you make sure she has it .
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There are plenty of credit card out there. You'd think one of them would jump in and become an AA branded card with all the benefits we used to enjoy.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:54 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by enviroian
There are plenty of credit card out there. You'd think one of them would jump in and become an AA branded card with all the benefits we used to enjoy.
Except the contract that AA has with Citi prohibits it- just Citi and Barclays allowed.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Well, this totally blows. Over the past week, I dumped the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (which I love) and moved all spending over to the AA Executive Card. We mainly have it for the AA Lounge use, but seriously, I'm going to pay $450/year and all these benefits are being taken away. I suppose I'll be searching for a new card, but doubtful I'll find one that allows AA Lounge Access. Frustrating.
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would put any spend at all on this card in order to obtain increasingly worthless AA miles... I'm shocked at how many on here imply they use this card for spend.

I have this card. It's a significantly discounted Admiral's Club family membership for both my wife and I. I've carried it several years and after obtaining the initial bonus the only spend that goes on this card is one item per year; the annual fee. That is it. There are far, far better cards for daily spend and travel benefits than this card.

This is a 100% sock drawer card...

Regards
Spiff, coolbeans202, oopsz and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly, I find more value in the 5x Membership Rewards points on Amex Platinum, so that's where my airline spend has always gone since that started, even when I had the Citi cards.
LINDEGR and pmblinn like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Maybe there is a good 3rd party insurance provider we should evaluate that isn't associated with a credit card?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
Maybe there is a good 3rd party insurance provider we should evaluate that isn't associated with a credit card?
There are plenty. But it's an extra cost.
Also, it's probably not appropriate discussion for the AA forum.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Honestly, I find more value in the 5x Membership Rewards points on Amex Platinum, so that's where my airline spend has always gone since that started, even when I had the Citi cards.
Is it the platinum that includes the centurion club? What's the annual fee?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Yes it is and it is $550/year plus the $95 cost of membership mile if memory serves me correctly. Their clubs are great though.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would put any spend at all on this card in order to obtain increasingly worthless AA miles... I'm shocked at how many on here imply they use this card for spend.

I have this card. It's a significantly discounted Admiral's Club family membership for both my wife and I. I've carried it several years and after obtaining the initial bonus the only spend that goes on this card is one item per year; the annual fee. That is it. There are far, far better cards for daily spend and travel benefits than this card.

This is a 100% sock drawer card...

Regards
I understand your point BUT i put a LOT on the card and then use that to negotiate a reduction in the annual fee. Maybe I'd indeed be better off paying in full and putting spend elsewhere but I like the reduced fee....
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Yes it is and it is $550/year plus the $95 cost of membership mile if memory serves me correctly. Their clubs are great though.
A personal card is just the $550, an extra $95 is required to enroll a corporate platinum card with the Membership Rewards program.

The card earned very few miles back then, but I was a pretty happy camper when it came with US Airways and Admiral's Club access.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAAdvantage, Delta
Just cancelled my AA Executive Card. Asked for prorated refund of fee. Was told that was not so, so quoted FAQ web page, and after being put on hold was told they would send a check.
Spiff and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyingfriar
Just cancelled my AA Executive Card. Asked for prorated refund of fee. Was told that was not so, so quoted FAQ web page, and after being put on hold was told they would send a check.
So let me get this straight, you carried this card just for the travel protections? The Admiral's Club access was not the driver for holding this card?

This just makes no sense. If travel protections were of primary concern, why not just get something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred for $95 per year?!

https://creditcards.chase.com/reward...hire-preferred

Why even get the AA Exec Card to begin with?

Regards
donotblink likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Jun 25, 2019 at 3:18 pm Reason: misspelled CSP, good catch donotblink!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Is it the platinum that includes the centurion club? What's the annual fee?
$550 as others have stated, including $200 annual Uber credits, $200 travel ancillary fee credit (on one airline only) and $50 semi-annual Saks credit.
Of course you have Centurion lounge access, but also Delta SkyClubs and PriorityPass lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.