Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:22 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Halo117
...moral of story...fly united. No apologies for delay provided by crew.
I'm pretty sure you'll find at least one thread on every other FT airline forum about maintenance delays with a passenger saying "fly <insert other airline>" next time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Only delayed 1 hour? Must be nice to live in such luxury.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm pretty sure you'll find at least one thread on every other FT airline forum about maintenance delays with a passenger saying "fly <insert other airline>" next time.
...and then you look at the actual data and see that AA has much worse operational performance than its peers and realize that the people saying to book other carriers instead are right in this case.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
The mechanics may not have even worked for AA if you were at an outstation. They may have been contracted which means they work several airlines and it just took awhile for them to get to the aircraft for the issue. Paper work must be correct and signed off along with proper placards placed in order for the aircraft to be airworthy. It also involves being on the phone with maintenance in DFW to document the issue and be signed off on their end as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PHL
I believe you can get a feel for the state of an airline by taking the temperature of the FT forums. A few years ago, during the depths of the Smisek regime, the UA board was on fire with complaints about operational issues. Today, the forum is pretty quiet and IME United has greatly improved their operations. The AA board was active but not this negative after the merger. It's on fire now. And yes, I'm fully aware that data is not the plural of anecdote.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I had the sticker maintenance today on a regional. Only 20 minute delay.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Sounds like a racket. Cleaning crew, in bed with maintenance, casually removes a sticker. CC notices, calls it in. Boom: maintenance delay (and all that entails.)

Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I'd be seeking a resolution with the mechanics union. Many don't agree with their tactics but the other side of the coin is that they may be pushed into a corner after years of being shoveled BS from AA management. The forum is loaded with people being wronged by AA, perceived or real. It shouldn't be a surprise that these are the same people who are taking away your leg room, charging non-elites outrageous bag fees, trying to charge elites for drinks, and supplying their cabin crew with supposedly toxic uniforms. They most likely treat the people they pay in the same inept manner.
Personally, I detest unions, but I CAN see this as an underlying approach of AA management across the board.

More revenue=more market cap=more $ into the DP “Now that I’ve screwed THIS one up, too.” Ver 4.1 retirement fund.

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 8, 2019 at 6:09 am
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
...and then you look at the actual data and see that AA has much worse operational performance than its peers and realize that the people saying to book other carriers instead are right in this case.
AA's on-time performance for 2018 was very close to UA's, behind DL's and ahead of B6's. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30926890-post1.html

What actual data are you looking at?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Recent (but not new) Increase in "Slow-Walking the Logbook"

The last 6 flights I have taken on a 787 (-9 out of DFW and LAX, -8 out of ORD) have been delayed at least two hours each, two up to six hours, by what the pilot describes as the mechanics taking a very long time to deliver paperwork on a relatively unimportant and MEL-able item.

I get it, the mechanics are trying to make a point. I even, in principle, agree with them. However, at the end of the day, the actions don't hurt AA - most people on the plane don't know their cause, and nobody is seriously "never flying AA again" because of a MX delay. The company doesn't get hurt, management doesn't get hurt, the customer gets hurt.

Is this behavior I can expect to continue? I have 11 787 flights coming up in the next month. It feels like they are focusing on this fleet because it is the most high-profile. It burns few domestic customers but really throws international for a loop. However, nothing beats it in front for a comfortable ride. Or, in the case of 2543 today, the opportunity to watch Captain Marvel twice without having yet left the gate (and no, because I know someone will ask, no PDBs have been offered, although we were given the opportunity to deplane).

Last edited by AA2070; Jun 14, 2019 at 5:48 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think this is related to the aircraft so wouldn't worry about what plane your on, though being up front on a 787 for 2 hours at the gate sure beats 738 for two extra hours And yes I think we can expect that this will continue until such time as they work out their contract issues.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

AA has become a piss-poor excuse for an airline. The contract issues are Parker’s own making. It’s way past time to get rid of the PMUS execs and find management that know how to run an airline.
jerryss, Dallas49er, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Jun 14, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Apparently DL Platinum status matches from AA EXP are at an all time high right now.....I can believe it. DL Plat would be fine with me because I sit in MCE all the time anyway since spend was the factor and CK got priority.

Plus I can travel less and spend less money.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ating-slowdown @JonNYC tweeted that a judge has ordered a stop to the slow down.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Was on DFW-CLT Wednesday night. Total delay was 4 hours 20 minutes. Included a gate change at midnight & sitting on a loaded plane for 75 min starting at 1am for paperwork. Gate agents & FA handled it well, given the situation. I was annoyed landing at 4:30am but am pretty helpless if I want to stay on AA while this thing works itself out.
AA customer service emailed me yesterday & dumped 2,500 miles into my account. It doesn’t make up for it but it’s a positive gesture that I’ll remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.