FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1972791-ground-crew-strike-work-slow-down-maintenance-slowdown.html)

Crisphoarder Sep 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Haven’t left the gate at a major AA hub after being on the ground for an hour after boarding, blamed ground crew, is there a workage slow down?

SFO777 Sep 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Why the mystery? What hub?

UKtravelbear Sep 20, 2018 4:51 pm

There are all sorts of reasons for a delayed departure that are far more likely than industrial action

Often1 Sep 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Where are you, where are you headed and what is your flight number?

With that information, somebody here might have some useful information for you.

Understand the reluctance if this is Area 51, but that really isn't a hub.

JDiver Sep 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30227553)
Where are you, where are you headed and what is your flight number?

With that information, somebody here might have some useful information for you.

Understand the reluctance if this is Area 51, but that really isn't a hub.

AA can’t get you there. Fly “JANET” from LAS, no FFP I’m aware of... but it’s a very exclusive clientele.

757FO Sep 21, 2018 6:31 am

There was a ground stop at Area 51 yesterday, due to an issue with an interstellar 747 not being able to get it's flux capacitor to work properly. The flight was delayed almost 11 hours, but once fixed, the aliens lined up respectfully, and didn't crowd the gate. Pre-board was available for aliens with small aliens, and aliens in uniform and serving under General Grievous. Aliens on this particular flight were able to sample the new catering menu, by Jabba the Hutt, who is now a celebrity chef on Alpha Centauri. No word on if pre departure drinks were served prior to take-off. Most passengers commented on how much better security and check-in was, now that Supreme Leader Snoke is running it. Rumor is that Boba Fett is now a gate agent, and will slap you silly if you ask about an upgrade.

(And yes, I have a bit too much time on my hands, as the van takes me to SAN for day 2 of a three day)

DataPlumber Sep 21, 2018 8:49 am

Another data point... I flew out of an AA hub yesterday and my flight left 3 minutes ahead of schedule and arrived 18 minutes early!

Crisphoarder Sep 21, 2018 9:04 am

So this is what happens when your phone dies. Multiple mainline AA flights yesterday at DFW could not get maintenance crews within an hour of requesting them at around 4pm. I was listening to the ground maintenance and operations frequencies and it seemed like there were plenty of people but no one was responding. Does anyone know if there is a contract being re-negotiated?

AUSINSIGHT Sep 21, 2018 9:22 am

This has been ongoing since the spring. YES there is a work slowdown to delay jets going on. It's all based on the maintenance contract. I've been impacted a ton by it. Usually, they have at least been nice enough to delay flights where I'm headed to my final destination and not flights where I'm connecting onward. My guess is that's intentional (they aren't slowing down hub to hub or spoke to hub flights).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#29678b613cdb

Originally Posted by Crisphoarder (Post 30229413)
So this is what happens when your phone dies. Multiple mainline AA flights yesterday at DFW could not get maintenance crews within an hour of requesting them at around 4pm. I was listening to the ground maintenance and operations frequencies and it seemed like there were plenty of people but no one was responding. Does anyone know if there is a contract being re-negotiated?

Crisphoarder Sep 21, 2018 9:29 am

Explains a lot. I did get to finish a report and Mr. Robot Season 3 :D.

Often1 Sep 21, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30227845)
AA can’t get you there. Fly “JANET” from LAS, no FFP I’m aware of... but it’s a very exclusive clientele.

Of course there is an FFP. You simply don't have the clearance or the passwords to access it.:cool:

IADCAflyer Sep 21, 2018 10:32 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30227845)

Does JANET provide a PDB? If they don't, I'm going to have to demand compensation.

Catbert10 Sep 21, 2018 5:45 pm

What airport does JANET fly out of? RNO?

AANYC1981 Sep 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT (Post 30229477)
This has been ongoing since the spring. YES there is a work slowdown to delay jets going on. It's all based on the maintenance contract. I've been impacted a ton by it. Usually, they have at least been nice enough to delay flights where I'm headed to my final destination and not flights where I'm connecting onward. My guess is that's intentional (they aren't slowing down hub to hub or spoke to hub flights).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#29678b613cdb

no wonder my first flight of the day LGA-DFW was so delayed.....great way to start a vacation stressing about your connection 🙄

JDiver Sep 22, 2018 8:55 am

This has actually been going on for some time. I’ve experienced:

● Delays in mechanics / engineers responding to maintenance calls

● AWP (awaiting requested parts) delays

● Delayed return of cockpit log book after maintenance is completed

This and weather IROPS have made me book longer connections.