Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ground Crew Strike? Work slow down? (Maintenance slowdown)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
● Delayed return of cockpit log book after maintenance is completed
Makes sense, now I understand the pilots pacing back and forth talking about the log book.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Crisphoarder
Makes sense, now I understand the pilots pacing back and forth talking about the log book.
That’s an easy delay for them. The aircraft can’t fly without the log onboard, so the mechanics give it some rest for a while.

I wonder if Doug Parker and his peeps gave much thought to this possibility when they avidly courted pilots and FAs to support the merger? Cockpit and cabin crew are certainly crucial, but there are others smooth operations depend on as well.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Broad spectrum union, management (or other work group) bashing is more suited to OMNI/PR. It’s against the Rules, and as it’s nearly guaranteed to be dilatory and disruptive, it is not acceptable in this forum

Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
AA 2270 delayed for 1 hr for safety stickers

I hope AA wins the lawsuit...on aa 2270 to dfw.. pilot was promised log book at 215pm...still on ground here...two maintenance guys board to place stickers in cabin...they even don't know how to fake a delay where the second guy went to put stickers in the same row his buddy was just at.

Edited to add to situation:
I first wrote my post while on the aircraft. This is how is played out flight 2270 from TPA to DFW was delayed initially to 2:15 pm. Pilot came on and said "We're waiting for maintenance to finish up paperwork and give us the log book was told by 2:15"....2:30 rolls by and he " folks ugghh well like you not really sure what is going on here...should be a few more mins" AA kept rolling delays on the app. At 2:45 PM two maintenance guys come on board and ask pax to stand up so that they can affix stickers to their seating area (I don't know exactly what they were affixing, but stopped at three different rows). The fake part I alluded to was that number 2 literally asked the same pax to stand up when number 1 had just finished his job. We sat 15 more mins until door closed.

Now I fly quite a bit and know what MELs are as well as deferred maintenance, but this flight had just arrived from DFW. What could have possibly gone wrong with those passenger stickers that was missed on the first flight? Why did the pilot state we are waiting on the log book only to have maintenance come on the aircraft a full 30 mins after promised time? I then recalled the current lawsuit AA has with their mechanics as well as a floating Youtube video of grievances. Not once did the crew apologize for the "maintenance" delay and I think I know why (gotta show support for peers). I had my wife and 2 kids with me and even my son kept asking "what is taking so long?".

This is all ironic since our personal schedules had changed that we were originally intending to fly United home via Houston (before the tropical depression was in the news) when the news of the storm hit my wife was glad to be flying AA via DFW. Lo and behold our original United flights operated on time yesterday. So my comment about about flying United during a tropical depression is better than AA during the "log" storm holds true in this case. Made it home 2 hours late as our connection was delayed even further (blessing and a curse I know). The sad part is since I knew about all of these issues, it made me upset....I guess ignorance is bliss or to some posters here I should be grateful AA let me fly. I can deal with all the issues travel can throw such as weather, real maintenance issues, sick pax but pissing on me and saying it's raining due to incompetence or negligence is where I draw the line.

Just a thought experiment....is the SFH coming to AA? I dealt with Ops issues on United a few years ago...it sucked... even switched more flights to AA back then guess I need to apply that same logic here. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Halo117; Jun 6, 2019 at 3:14 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:45 pm

“Walking the log” has several related operations. This is one.
nancypants and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:49 pm

Just frustrated as I have 2 kids in tow and will miss connection...ironically was trying to avoid Houston only to run into a "log" storm.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:22 pm

Safety is the utmost priority. Certainly that plane couldn't fly without those stickers properly in place. Must be a MEL item and could not be deferred overnight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:25 pm

I'm not an "I complain to AA guy" but if I saw THAT and heard THAT EXPLANATION I'd have an email sent within about 3 seconds.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Paul Weber
I'm not an "I complain to AA guy" but if I saw THAT and heard THAT EXPLANATION I'd have an email sent within about 3 seconds.
And the result would've been?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:32 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
What did the stickers say? Some stickers (i.e. placards) are legally mandated. Without them, under certain scenarios, the plane does not meet the certification standards and is un-airworthy until said standards are met - even if it means a few stickers that are in full view of cabin, crew or both.
nancypants and C46 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
ha ha what a joke AA maintenance. Sorry OP sounds like you have the two mechanic clowns I had last week that took 3 hours to attempt to fix a supply door on board only to finally give up after sticking screw drivers into the panel door every which way and then some.

They finally put the plane out of service and I arrived at my destination 7 hours late.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
And the result would've been?
To miss a connection because the mechanics slow walked stickers? That's egregious. I'd be asking for 10k miles for each of me and my children.

Some things just happen, and I can deal with that. But if I saw that? I'd be pissed.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Paul Weber
To miss a connection because the mechanics slow walked stickers? That's egregious. I'd be asking for 10k miles for each of me and my children.

Some things just happen, and I can deal with that. But if I saw that? I'd be pissed.
I'd be seeking a resolution with the mechanics union. Many don't agree with their tactics but the other side of the coin is that they may be pushed into a corner after years of being shoveled BS from AA management. The forum is loaded with people being wronged by AA, perceived or real. It shouldn't be a surprise that these are the same people who are taking away your leg room, charging non-elites outrageous bag fees, trying to charge elites for drinks, and supplying their cabin crew with supposedly toxic uniforms. They most likely treat the people they pay in the same inept manner.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Jun 5, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:10 pm

Op here...just landed...the issue with mel items is that the inbound came from dfw on time...luckily our connection is delayed just enough to run to the next gate....originally had 1.5 hr connection. My original planned united flights were on time thru a depression.( switched last week due our schedule )...moral of story...fly united. No apologies for delay provided by crew.
WIRunner likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
I'd be seeking a resolution with the mechanics union. Many don't agree with their tactics but the other side of the coin is that they may be pushed into a corner after years of being shoveled BS from AA management. The forum is loaded with people being wronged by AA, perceived or real. It shouldn't be a surprise that these are the same people who are taking away your leg room, charging non-elites outrageous bag fees, trying to charge elites for drinks, and supplying their cabin crew with supposedly toxic uniforms. They most likely treat the people they pay in the same inept manner.
Perhaps, but in a different way than expected. With the mechanics, AA unilaterally gave the mechanics raises and decided they would later negotiate for what they needed in return, which was ability to handle maintenance in the same way DL and UA do. Of course, now that the mechanics got the raises, they don't want to negotiate on the same issues AA cares about. AA has told the mechanics union they can have the same contract as UA or DL mechanics if they want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.