Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
While intriguing, that approach of randomly upgrading someone from J to F only works if I am #1 on the upgrade list from Y to J. And yes, the 3-class scenario where I the paying customer sit in coach and some random, low-level non-rev sits in F is the most galling to me. I recognize it's AA's prerogative but I am free to speak-out against it!!
You can't be serious. That "low-level non-rev" actually works for the airline, "F when available" is a clearly defined job benefit. If you want to fly in F, you can pay up.
skylady and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by moondog
You can't be serious. That "low-level non-rev" actually works for the airline, "F when available" is a clearly defined job benefit. If you want to fly in F, you can pay up.
100%. One has a contractual right to fly in highest available cabin, including no cabin at all if that is all that’s available. The other has a contractual right to fly in BOOKED cabin, a right to appropriate compensation if downgraded or offloaded, and an expectation of occasional customer service gesture of being bumped up/using an instrument to upgrade

how this is even a debate is beyond me. If people want to change non rev travel arrangements maybe they can get an executive position with the airline and get involved with the next contract negotiation??
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:51 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by nancypants

100%. One has a contractual right to fly in highest available cabin, including no cabin at all if that is all that’s available. The other has a contractual right to fly in BOOKED cabin, a right to appropriate compensation if downgraded or offloaded, and an expectation of occasional customer service gesture of being bumped up/using an instrument to upgrade

how this is even a debate is beyond me. If people want to change non rev travel arrangements maybe they can get an executive position with the airline and get involved with the next contract negotiation??
Not sure why the defenders of the status quo get sooooo worked up about this. I am not debating the fact that is how it currently works and what someone at AA apparently thinks is the right business decision. However, I thought one of the points of FlyerTalk was indeed TO DEBATE and allow the layman to propose solutions to better the business model/flyting experience of elites/etc. etc. If I have stumbled upon the Politburo-version of FlyerTalk in error, I apologize for expressing opinions.

Also, for what its worth, if AA smartened up and changed the ExPlat program to provide for upgrades via J to F cabin rolls on three class cabins, I am not sure that means re-negotiation with the unions is required. Employees would still be eligible for any open seat in the highest class cabin but it would not likely be in F anymore!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
When I worked for AA, I always tried to be as courteous and nice as possible. I realized that the paying customers were our customers. I gave up a meal choice (even though I was the last to order) in F and J to make sure a paying customer got their first choice (after meal orders were taken and I overheard the passenger discussing it -- I proactively went to the galley and told the FA to offer them what I had selected before bringing it out to me). The ability to have a seat in F or J was very rare, but I was appreciative on the rare occasions when it happened (I don't know what the current AA policy is, but I had to pay an extra fee back in the day to fly in F or J and it varied by destination -- up to $200 each way on the logest flights IIRC).

But the point is that it was a BENEFIT and it was given after all the seats were filled with paying passengers. Of course, back in the day, load factors were far less..so it was much easier to get an empty seats outside of the peak travel seasons (summer, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.).
skylady, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:22 pm

Not sure why the defenders of the status quo get sooooo worked up about this.
Speaking of getting sooooo worked up, have you read the first post in this thread?
trooper, watersign and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: QF WP
Exactly. The complaint was about how it is now. It wasn’t presented as a “in the future we should do it this way”. It was a whinge about how it is now

bring on the 20% payrise for crew and removal of non rev benefits. I’m all for that. But at the moment, OP is making themselves look a bit silly
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nancypants
Exactly. The complaint was about how it is now. It wasn’t presented as a “in the future we should do it this way”. It was a whinge about how it is now

bring on the 20% payrise for crew and removal of non rev benefits. I’m all for that. But at the moment, OP is making themselves look a bit silly
Next, you have discount J payers whining about upgrades and then full fare about discount. Heck, AA could go the SQ model where no one gets .... beyond what they paid for.

Unless airlines set a flat rate for all seats and stick to it, someone will always feel like they overpaid or under received.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:06 pm

And describing staff as "random, low level non revs" whose presence in F is "galling" is of course the epitome of calm debate..... sure Wilbur.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
I actually feel the same pain as the OP, but when I pay for F or J and see the seat next to me taken by an upgraded elite. I then must put up with the arrogance, rudeness and condescension of AA elites for a 1 to 16 hour flight. It's especially frustrating when I have to put up with them rearranging all the premium cabin overhead bins to fit the carry ins they dragged up from their seat in the back.
deeruck, wrp96, nancypants and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FAA1996; Jun 18, 2019 at 5:45 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Deleted - duplicate

Last edited by SFTNYC; Jun 18, 2019 at 6:07 am
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I actually feel the same pain as the OP, but when I pay for F or J and see the seat next to me taken by an upgraded elite another person. I then must put up with the arrogance, rudeness and condescension of AA elites humans or a 1 to 16 hour flight. It's especially frustrating when I have to put up with them rearranging all the premium cabin overhead bins to fit the carry ins they dragged up from their seat in the back. onboard
Fixed it for you.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
And describing staff as "random, low level non revs" whose presence in F is "galling" is of course the epitome of calm debate..... sure Wilbur.
I may certainly be biased but not sure what is not calm about either of my terms that you quoted. Are "entry-level employee" and "upsetting" more Zen/to your liking?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I may certainly be biased but not sure what is not calm about either of my terms that you quoted. Are "entry-level employee" and "upsetting" more Zen/to your liking?
Even if American were to stop non rev travel in First class you would still be seated in economy class when business class is full no ? How would you plan on getting American to give you a free first class seat ? What policy would you propose ?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Even if American were to stop non rev travel in First class you would still be seated in economy class when business class is full no ? How would you plan on getting American to give you a free first class seat ? What policy would you propose ?
While I appreciate the hyperbole, please see my post above. My proposal was to free-up a coach seat for the non-rev via a cabin roll- move an elite from the (presumably) full J cabin to F, an elite in Y to J and the non-rev gets the Y seat. I never requested a "free" F seat for "me." Very simple, really, but people's emotions run high on this topic.

Beyond that, I also advocated again consideration of cabin rolls from J to F to free up seats in J when Ex Plat are otherwise sitting in coach awaiting upgrades via an instrument of their choosing. A win win for all, in my opinion. Yes, I understand the mythical F class purchaser will now buy J and pray for a cabin roll F and destroy AA's revenue model.....
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
GAs need to get the flight out on time. Cabin rolls are a necessary part of their job from time to time. However what is being proposed is that the GAs would have to perform cabin rolls, and in the case of a 3 class plane double cabin rolls on a regular basis. This would result in flights going out late. And how far do should AA take this. Should AA roll a GLD out of a non MCE seat into a MCE seat and put the non rev in the non MCE seat This is part of the employees' benefit package. The fact that people somehow have an issue with this boggles my imagination. All those in favor of fares going up by $20 or so in lieu of AA rescinding travel benefits to employees raise their hand.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.