Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
And in 99% of cases, people in this scenario either move or change jobs. She chose such a cumbersome approach to earning a living and has to deal with the consequences. I swear airline employees seem to think they are indentured servants. The vast majority that I know hate AA yet would not dream of leaving. Very odd - to me at least.
All true, yet totally tangential to this thread. No one is saying, because they live far away passengers should be bumped or downgraded. Merely, if all paying and status pax are accommodated, then open space goes to non-revs. The lack of guarantee is what it is - good for some cases, bad for others, but everyone goes into it knowing the rules.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
What sticks in my craw is when on a three class-cabin I can't upgrade from coach to business because AA won't goodwill upgrade someone from J to F and open a seat for me in J.
I am still not clear in what you are exactly proposing in order for AA run well its business

But it seems what you want is:

1) Change the long standing perk for non-revs entitled to fly F when it is available. Instead, they will get the economy seat. (BTW, wouldn't all those GLDs and PLTs that could not get YOUR MCE seat- when you moved up to J - and are sitting in row 43 be also furious that a non-rev got an MCE seat!!??)

2) Once the upgrade process is complete, AA should start rolling up cabins in order to:
2a) accommodate non/revs in Y
2b) accomdate all pax in Y whose SWU/miles+copay upgrade did not clear.

This implies that any time there are open F seats, J pax will be op'd up to F (for free, no upgrade instrument required).

I think the consequence of 2) is that eventually, nobody will start paying for F, as J op ups will start becoming VERY common. Then AA will kill F for good.
Then you are still stuck in Y.

Instead, a nonrev gets the F seat and I sit in coach!!!
!!!!!!!!!! right?
wrp96, chitink and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
That's a fair question. I was initially proposing that when a non-rev needs a seat and coach is full, that an elite passenger is upgraded and the non-rev gets the now open coach seat. Simply put, I do not support any system when the "hired help" are rewarded in ways better than the people that pay their salary. I would also support a plan that fills INTERNATIONAL and NYC-LAX/SFO transcon premium cabin first by those 'paying' for it - via paid seat, mileage/SWU and or TODs then anything left would be by a simple customer service/goodwill gesture. What sticks in my craw is when on a three class-cabin I can't upgrade from coach to business because AA won't goodwill upgrade someone from J to F and open a seat for me in J. Instead, a nonrev gets the F seat and I sit in coach!!! And please don't respond by telling me I got what I paid for blah blah blah. I get it and I accept it. I just think it's crappy way to run an airline And yes, I know I am free to take my business elsewhere. more blah blah blahs
So because none of the J pax were willing to pay for any upgrade to F, you're upset that the airline has a benefit program that sometimes results in an employee getting a perk? Or put another way, you're aggrieved that a business isn't giving away stuff for free? Stuff that they've determined isn't in their best interest to give away in the long run?

Next time I go to see a movie, if I find out an employee saw the same movie in Imax for free, I'm going to complain to the movie theater that i shouldn't have to pay more for what I want, I should just get it for free if they didn't sell out the show.

Obviously you don't like this particular benefit that is afforded to employees and is pretty much standard for the industry. Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But to let it bother you seems petty and selfish. There are lots of companies who offer perks that customers have to pay for. Should those companies give away those perks to customers for free as well?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:10 pm

That's a fair question. I was initially proposing that when a non-rev needs a seat and coach is full, that an elite passenger is upgraded and the non-rev gets the now open coach seat. Simply put, I do not support any system when the "hired help" are rewarded in ways better than the people that pay their salary. ......
And as someone who had a small business where I valued employees and kept them for decades, I would never condescend to call them "hired help". They are what made the business and they did in fact get treated with benefits that were not available to long standing customers.
moondog, ijgordon, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
OP American Airlines offers tremendous value between the US and mainland China. I often see roundtrip fares for $400 between LAX and PEK. Air China charges $1100 roundtrip between IAH and PEK.

Flying nonrev is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. To be honest it's stressful and nerve wrecking. Sometimes the flights are full and I am stranded for hours or days. Sometimes there are seats available but the Captain will not board nonrevs for weight balance whether it's fuel or cargo. Sure I have flown first class and business class hundreds of times. So what ?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by xooz
And as someone who had a small business where I valued employees and kept them for decades, I would never condescend to call them "hired help". They are what made the business and they did in fact get treated with benefits that were not available to long standing customers.
thank you...
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't really care enough to get worked up into a fury as you seem to be. Just seems like if there are no Y seats left it would make more sense to "reward" a customer that gives the airline thousands of dollars/year by bumping them up a class to open up a Y seat for the non-rev, vs. leaving the $ maker for AA in Y while giving a free premium seat to an employee. I buy premium cabin tickets anyway, so this doesn't impact me/I don't really care, just not sure how it's good for AA (other than for the employees who are scoring free premium seats).
A fury? lol. Seriously? I was ..... mildly irritated (at most) by the claims of apparent heart attack level stress that "non-revs in premium cabins" seem to cause others.... Where you see "fury" in what I wrote escapes me....
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
What is frustrating is when a flight will leave J7 U0 and then be filled with nonrevs in J. I understand that AA has decided to make this business decision, but it is still frustrating.

Cheers,
LBBZman
LINDEGR and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lbbzman
What is frustrating is when a flight will leave J7 U0 and then be filled with nonrevs in J. I understand that AA has decided to make this business decision, but it is still frustrating.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Why is this frustrating?

J7 means that one could have purchased a J seat if one wanted to (or likely upgraded into J through one of the supported means).

If the suggestion is that AA start handing our freebies, that simply undermines the premium brand. On the other hand, if one is booked into J, has a seat and receives the J hard and soft product, one should not be concerned about who paid what for the other seats.
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
Why is this frustrating?

J7 means that one could have purchased a J seat if one wanted to (or likely upgraded into J through one of the supported means).

If the suggestion is that AA start handing our freebies, that simply undermines the premium brand. On the other hand, if one is booked into J, has a seat and receives the J hard and soft product, one should not be concerned about who paid what for the other seats.
I agree with you 100%. While I'm not a big fan of AA J, it's not especially difficult to understand why they want to monetize it.

Basically, nonrevs don't pay for tickets, so putting them in J or F when seats are open is basically revenue neutral. But, giving EXPs freebies creates expectations that they can ride in a premium cabin without paying for it.
GTITAN and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree with you 100%. While I'm not a big fan of AA J, it's not especially difficult to understand why they want to monetize it.

Basically, nonrevs don't pay for tickets, so putting them in J or F when seats are open is basically revenue neutral. But, giving EXPs freebies creates expectations that they can ride in a premium cabin without paying for it.
U inventory is not free.

To me, J7 U0 is a missed revenue management opportunity. If you cant sell them, may as well monetize some of it somehow.
lbbzman and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
And in 99% of cases, people in this scenario either move or change jobs. She chose such a cumbersome approach to earning a living and has to deal with the consequences. I swear airline employees seem to think they are indentured servants. The vast majority that I know hate AA yet would not dream of leaving. Very odd - to me at least.

this is the curse of the seniority system. it is better to be senior at a mediocre airline than junior at a good one, generally speaking.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
U inventory is not free.

To me, J7 U0 is a missed revenue management opportunity. If you cant sell them, may as well monetize some of it somehow.
I have never encountered a situation where J seats were open, and I was denied an upgrade with an instrument, though I'm sure there are cases of gate agents hooking up employees.

My gut tells me that some people in this thread believe they should be upgraded without supporting instruments instead of doling out the good seats to non-revs. This makes no sense to me from the standpoint of the airline.
trooper, wrp96, chitink and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
U inventory is not free.

It isn't a missed revenue opportunity it is a was to avoid having a missed revenue opportunity with people using U class rather than purchasing a business class ticket. J is ( in most cases ) an expensive booking class; I7 might be different

It seems that tehre are some customers that would howl if AA failed to provide a benefit that is documented, but don't think others should get the benefits that they are due
GTITAN, wrp96, Antarius and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Often1
All a business decision by AA. AA is free to offer experienced Captains minimum wage and no more. It may find it hard to locate competent people at that rate. So, it offers more. Dollars, benefits such as F, and the like. Just like many other businesses.

Not really so hard.
as always often on the money

every time one of these threads come up, the outrage brigade starts up (“hired help”, really? any concept of what a pilot actually does?!)

non rev travel is a neat mechanism for the airlines to give away something that would otherwise go out empty in lieu of just giving an actual pay rise, in dollars, to their employees (sorry, “baggie servants”)

customers are getting a bloody good deal here, if every employee got the money instead airfares would be higher. This way everyone gets what they pay for, employees feel valued, frequent flyer perks are completely unaffected, there isn’t an additional excuse available to either raise fares or manage revenue
newyorkgeorge and arttravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.