FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1972415-rant-aa-non-revs-seem-regularly-take-good-seats-overheads-my-flights.html)

biztraveler2007 Jun 3, 2019 4:32 am

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

A non rev in AA premium economy ? We so we pay extra for “premium economy“ from DFW to PEK and not only is a nonrev in a Premium Economy seat which could be for a paying customer, the nonrev takes the bin over my seat. So, yes the nonrev boards before a paying customer and takes a premiums bin space? And then on this 13 hour flight the AA nonrev is accessing the overhead bin every few hours banging into me and slamming the overhead bin when we try to sleep ?

Southwest NEVER treats us like this. We hope Southwest starts flying International soon so we get avoid the arrogance, rudeness and condescension of AA nonrevs.

Uncle Nonny Jun 3, 2019 5:28 am

Originally Posted by biztraveler2007 (Post 31165208)
A non rev in AA premium economy ? We so we pay extra for “premium economy“ from DFW to PEK and not only is a nonrev in a Premium Economy seat which could be for a paying customer, the nonrev takes the bin over my seat. So, yes the nonrev boards before a paying customer and takes a premiums bin space? And then on this 13 hour flight the AA nonrev is accessing the overhead bin every few hours banging into me and slamming the overhead bin when we try to sleep ?

Southwest NEVER treats us like this. We hope Southwest starts flying International soon so we get avoid the arrogance, rudeness and condescension of AA nonrevs.

You obviously need your own private plane. Have you thought about starting a GoFundMe page? I'll kick in my $.02 to help reach your goal.

jridge Jun 3, 2019 5:49 am

Perhaps you should book your next DFW-PEK premium economy ticket on WN.

ajeleonard Jun 3, 2019 5:56 am

Non-revs can be all classes

The space in the bin over your seat does not belong to you

Please explain what aspects of the advertised premium economy experience AA failed to deliver for you?

Often1 Jun 3, 2019 6:02 am

A few questions:

1. How do you compare the AA PE product on TPAC flights to WN's? Better, the same, or worse?
2. Where do nonrev's on WN put their bags?
3. What did the on-duty FA say when you advised her that someone had taken your assigned overhead space?
4. How do you know there was a passenger willing to pay for the PE seat assigned to the employee?

Bottom line here is that you got the seat and all of the associated hard & soft product features you paid for (else I presume you would have said so). Why do you care what AA does with some other seat?

dfw88 Jun 3, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by biztraveler2007 (Post 31165208)
... and not only is a nonrev in a Premium Economy seat which could be for a paying customer...

You do realize that non-revs only get seats after it becomes obvious that no paying customer is going to take that seat, right? That non-rev was probably assigned that seat 20 minutes before departure, 30 minutes max, once upgrades were cleared (paying pax cannot yet upgrade into PE, but someone may have upgraded out of it into business), and once reservations for that flight were closed. The entire point of non-rev travel is that you take the seats that paying customers have not taken at the very last minute.

Often1 Jun 3, 2019 8:50 am

Not necessarily. Depending on seniority, job, and why they are flying, they may also be allotted positive space in F, J, or PE.

The sole issue for a passenger is whether the passenger got the service he paid for. This one seems to have.

dfw88 Jun 3, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31165787)
Not necessarily. Depending on seniority, job, and why they are flying, they may also be allotted positive space in F, J, or PE.

The sole issue for a passenger is whether the passenger got the service he paid for. This one seems to have.

Fair enough. I was playing the probability game, based on the fact that the majority of AA employees travelling don't have access to positive space, either because they lack the rank or they're travelling for pleasure instead of business. Any random AA non-rev you meet is most likely not travelling positive space, though it's certainly possible.

carlosdca Jun 3, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31165787)

Originally Posted by dfw88 (Post 31165931)
Fair enough. I was playing the probability game, based on the fact that the majority of AA employees travelling don't have access to positive space, either because they lack the rank or they're travelling for pleasure instead of business. Any random AA non-rev you meet is most likely not travelling positive space, though it's certainly possible.

When I think of non-rev, I think of what dfw88 describes (the non-revs flying on stand-by to the highest class available)

Often1 Jun 3, 2019 10:56 am

In which case, flying in the highest available cabin is a nice job perk.

I'm still not understanding the beef here.

standbyalldtime Jun 3, 2019 11:05 am

Wait till @biztraveler2007 finds out about the SIX times I flew AA International F to and from HKG this year! The champagne! The caviar (er...tartlet)! All while thinking fondly about how poor loyal paying customers like bt2007 (who NEVER fly Delta) have to slum it out in the back and don't all get free auto-upgrades to the highest available cabin like arrogant non-revs do.

Cue outrage/jealousy/whatever the heck bt2007's problem is.

arttravel Jun 3, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime (Post 31166294)
Wait till @biztraveler2007 finds out about the SIX times I flew AA International F to and from HKG this year! The champagne! The caviar (er...tartlet)! All while thinking fondly about how poor loyal paying customers like bt2007 (who NEVER fly Delta) have to slum it out in the back and don't all get free auto-upgrades to the highest available cabin like arrogant non-revs do.

But did you drink your champagne with “arrogance, condescension and conceit”— if not than the experience was lacking.

carlosdca Jun 3, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31166253)
In which case, flying in the highest available cabin is a nice job perk.

I'm still not understanding the beef here.

Me neither.
It is a nice perk, yes.
It requires some patience and flexibility to get the nice seats though. A friend of mine at UA can get seats in the front on TATL or TPAC flights but has never been able to visit me on a summer weekend (SFO-SAN/LAX) as flights are always full.

wrp96 Jun 3, 2019 12:23 pm

I just want to know where these assigned overhead bins are because I never find them.

MCI777 Jun 3, 2019 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by standbyalldtime (Post 31166294)

Getting an F seat to HKG as a non-rev (even with a D1) is difficult if not impossible. But doing six times? You should buy a lottery ticket, lol.