Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fatmac70
Would you expect a non rev to be moved if a revenue passenger seat is non operating ie lie flat seat will not recline, IFE does not work, seat is not clean Tray table does not work etc….
Absolutely, however, that's not the scenario the OP describes.

-FlyerBeek
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Absolutely, however, that's not the scenario the OP describes.

-FlyerBeek
I am confused in your post you mentioned once non revs are cleared onto a flight …….
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I am confused in your post you mentioned once non revs are cleared onto a flight …….
In my opinion, the scenario you describe (a broken premium cabin seat) is quite different than a NRSA who is assigned to a "preferred" economy seat that was previously available for selection for any revenue passenger who either had the status or wanted to pay to get it assigned beforehand.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
In my opinion, the scenario you describe (a broken premium cabin seat) is quite different than a NRSA who is assigned to a "preferred" economy seat that was previously available for selection for any revenue passenger who either had the status or wanted to pay to get it assigned beforehand.

-FlyerBeek
This. Non revs may be moved for operational reasons..not just because a passenger wants them to move.

The key question for the OP is whether they were MCE to begin with.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
Before the flight we asked to move to better seats and the GSP gate attendant said all seats are full.

Yet two non revs sat in seats 9C and 9 D on AA flight 2407 GSP to DFW ie extra legroom, main cabin ? And to add to the insult, the non revs take the best overhead bin space which is usually 4 plus bags per non rev. I asked the AA FA why are two nonrevs sitting in main cabin and why did they take revenue seats? No answer, just the classic AA (angry airline) look.

Does AA realize paying passengers see this behavior regularly ? Thank goodness there are options.
How did you know they were NonRevs? Did you get the seat(s) you had reserved? Why did you not book 9CD prior to this?
If the seats were already assigned when you asked for better seats, did you expect them to unassign the seats to those 2 people who you think were nonrevs? Not everyone who travels in an airline uniform is a non rev.

Last edited by mvoight; Oct 11, 2021 at 2:29 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:40 am

The OP asked for better seats,but never mentioned if he/she was willing to pay for better seats. Non revs get what's ever left over, if any seats at all.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-FlyerBeek
The question is if they were already assigned to the non-revs before they had been requested, then they were not available when OP asked about better seats, as they were already assigned. The basic question is why didn't the OP select those seats at check in or before.
skylady and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While not normally a defender of AA service standards, declining to provide a free upgrade to MCE is not IMO legitimate grounds for complaint. The answer would almost certainly have been the same on UA or DL.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
NRSAs are typically provided the best available seats in the main cabin once they are cleared onto the flight.
Originally Posted by skylady
Non revs get what's ever left over, if any seats at all.
One thing I'll point out is that it's not been established whether these were NRSA passengers. It's possible that these passengers were flying on business, for example to position them for a future flight. Such passengers are classified NRPS (non-revenue, positive space): still non-revenue, but not travelling on a space available basis. In such cases the passengers might well have been assigned seats in advance, and in some cases (at least back in the palćolithic era when I used to work in the airline world), union contracts or company policy might even require that such passengers be allocated seats in a specific class, "best available", or similar language. No way to know here what was really going on beyond that.
writerguyfl, wrp96 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by biztraveler2007
Before the flight we asked to move to better seats and the GSP gate attendant said all seats are full.

Yet two non revs sat in seats 9C and 9 D on AA flight 2407 GSP to DFW ie extra legroom, main cabin ? And to add to the insult, the non revs take the best overhead bin space which is usually 4 plus bags per non rev. I asked the AA FA why are two nonrevs sitting in main cabin and why did they take revenue seats? No answer, just the classic AA (angry airline) look.
As this topic seems to follow quite directly on a couple of other threads you've already started on the topic, I've gone ahead and merged them all together, along with giving this combined thread a more accurate title.

~Moderator
SCChris, Antarius and jhalapin like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, as in the original thread, the question remains the same. Did OP get the seat he had paid for. What prevented OP from getting 9CD? Was it booked when he selected his seat?
Had they already been assigned when he asked if there were better seats available? Which seats did OP and his companion have? Were they also MCE seats? (In case GA believes MCE seats are equal on an aircraft)

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 12, 2021 at 8:52 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
There are two kinds of frequent travelers. The kind that sees the airport / lounge / cabin as a shared community improved by generosity, and the kind that sees the environment as a death-match competition for perks and special treatment. For some of the latter, it is not enough merely to get the elite treatment; they must also observe others not getting it.
LOL

There is one aspect of the OP that could be reiterated (for everyone, not only non-revs): please don't slam the overhead bin doors. They latch just fine at regular speed.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, as in the original thread, the question remains the same. Did OP get the seat he had paid for. <SNIP>
Re-reading his OP, it looks like the OP got the seats they paid for. Given that he says he approached the GA and tried to get better seating, I'm guessing that he may have wanted to pay for MCE but it was full.

If the OP had any kind of status he could have chosen MCE seats at T-24 (I think that's the gold window) if it had been available, and not waited until they got to the airport.

Either way, it seems from their post history that they take issue when any airline employee sits in any seat the OP deems unfit for an employee.

Either way it seems that OP has kind of ghosted us when they didn't get the response they thought they would.

YMMV
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:43 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Re-reading his OP, it looks like the OP got the seats they paid for. Given that he says he approached the GA and tried to get better seating, I'm guessing that he may have wanted to pay for MCE but it was full.

If the OP had any kind of status he could have chosen MCE seats at T-24 (I think that's the gold window) if it had been available, and not waited until they got to the airport.
It’s possible that the seats were opened last minute due to upgrades clearing at the gate, and OP wanted to move there (either because they have status or, giving them the benefit of the doubt, they had no status but wanted to pay for them), but at that point the GA was likely just trying to clear the upgrade and standby list and get the flight out.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Also the first row on the right side of Y is often blocked until shortly before departure (maybe T-24) on the oasis/kodak aircraft, those are great seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.