Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: AA non revs seem to regularly take the good seats and overheads on my flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
While I appreciate the hyperbole, please see my post above. My proposal was to free-up a coach seat for the non-rev via a cabin roll- move an elite from the (presumably) full J cabin to F, an elite in Y to J and the non-rev gets the Y seat. I never requested a "free" F seat for "me." Very simple, really, but people's emotions run high on this topic.

Beyond that, I also advocated again consideration of cabin rolls from J to F to free up seats in J when Ex Plat are otherwise sitting in coach awaiting upgrades via an instrument of their choosing. A win win for all, in my opinion. Yes, I understand the mythical F class purchaser will now buy J and pray for a cabin roll F and destroy AA's revenue model.....

so it is ok to "destroy" AA's revenue model as long as you get free upgrades.

BTW I purchase F (A, actually) on 3-class AA planes, so I guess I am a mythical figure.
JonNYC, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Beyond that, I also advocated again consideration of cabin rolls from J to F to free up seats in J when Ex Plat are otherwise sitting in coach awaiting upgrades via an instrument of their choosing. A win win for all, in my opinion. Yes, I understand the mythical F class purchaser will now buy J and pray for a cabin roll F and destroy AA's revenue model.....
How is it a win for all - is is just a win for customers that want 1st class but dont want to pay for it

The staff are entitled to their benefits just as much as customers are entitled to their benefits. If business class is full, then cannot upgrade to business. It makes no commercial sense to give someone a free upgrade to 1st to then give a potentially free upgrade to business. If 1st has empty seats, then great for those in 1st - just like being on a normal airline that doesn't do upgrades galore
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:19 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
so it is ok to "destroy" AA's revenue model as long as you get free upgrades.

BTW I purchase F (A, actually) on 3-class AA planes, so I guess I am a mythical figure.
The term "destroy" was sarcasm. Sigh..... Again, you missed my point on "mythical." So great, you buy F. Would you stop buying F and instead pay for J and pray for a cabin roll?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The term "destroy" was sarcasm. Sigh..... Again, you missed my point on "mythical." So great, you buy F. Would you stop buying F and instead pay for J and pray for a cabin roll?
If you want F, why don't you actually pay for it?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How is it a win for all - is is just a win for customers that want 1st class but dont want to pay for it

The staff are entitled to their benefits just as much as customers are entitled to their benefits. If business class is full, then cannot upgrade to business. It makes no commercial sense to give someone a free upgrade to 1st to then give a potentially free upgrade to business. If 1st has empty seats, then great for those in 1st - just like being on a normal airline that doesn't do upgrades galore
That is an opinion, of course, too. It is a win win since more ex plat (or other elites) get to upgrade. It is a win for AA since they get revenue/instruments from customers rather than letting empty seats fly. A paying J customer who occasionally experiences an upgrade to F may be more likely to fly AA than another carrier where it does not happen.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If you want F, why don't you actually pay for it?
Probably the same reason non-revs don't.

Not sure why I need to keep stating this I don't want F. What I want is for J to be opened to allow me to upgrade from Y to J.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA

I want F, so I pay for F.

If you want J, pay for J. (or roll the dice with an instrument or miles upgrade)

your idea is wishful thinking. and I'm not sure why you think you are better than the airline employees.
Gino Troian and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If you want a certain class of service then pay for it. If you paid for Y and are seated in Y explain how the airline ripped you off? Upgrades have never been guaranteed and never will.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I want F, so I pay for F.

If you want J, pay for J. (or roll the dice with an instrument or miles upgrade)

your idea is wishful thinking. and I'm not sure why you think you are better than the airline employees.
Not better but I happen to believe that I pay their salaries so yes I think nonrev should be at the bottom of the pecking order.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I think nonrev should be at the bottom of the pecking order.
They ARE at the bottom of the pecking order.
As the current upgrade system works, non-revs don't take away a seat from anybody. They fill up unsold seats.

The cabin roll up you propose is impractical and it does not benefit AA as there are much better systems that AA could implement (or is already implementing) to fill up F for revenue including:
- Reducing or eliminating the F cabin
- Offering cash upgrades to F for J pax at check-in
- Discounted F
- etc.

In the rare event that there is an empty F seat, AA has established that it will give it as a perk to its employees (non-rev).
AA does not lose as the above has happened after AA has exhausted all the possibilities to get a revenue from its F cabin.
Giving away one of the 8 seats in F to one of the 50+ J pax does not get anything for AA, on the contrary, it decreases the perceived value of F AND it takes away a long standing perk of its employees only because it bothers you and a few other FTers. Most of us don't care.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
In the rare event that there is an empty F seat, AA has established that it will give it as a perk to its employees (non-rev).
Personal experience: all but one flight on the 321T has had more non-rev's than paying customers. Those flights always go out full in F...
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Personal experience: all but one flight on the 321T has had more non-rev's than paying customers. Those flights always go out full in F...
Perfect. Then AA should (will) implement my point #1 . Reduce F cabin or eliminate it completely.
Or try harder selling F.

To imply that AA has created the F cabin with the sole purpose of filling it up with non-revs is absurd.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 19, 2019 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Perfect. Then AA should (will) implement my point #1 . Reduce F cabin or eliminate it completely.
Or try harder selling F.

To imply that AA has created the F cabin with the sole purpose of filling it up with non-revs is absurd.
I agree and am not implying anything, would just like to see consistency from on-ground and on-board experiences. AA has a really great set-up from flagship check-in, lounges and dining, but on-board, F loses its exclusivity as it's always full and always has non-revs. Would have no issue with non-rev in J, PE, etc. just not F. You will never find this on any other carrier that offers F and I believe it's for a good reason.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not better but I happen to believe that I pay their salaries so yes I think nonrev should be at the bottom of the pecking order.
The employees get you from A to B, without them, your free upgrade is worthless.

I'd hate to be an employee of yours.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The employees get you from A to B, without them, your free upgrade is worthless.

I'd hate to be an employee of yours.
To your first point, it gets to be circular logic but there are other carriers too.

To your second, (unwarranted) personal attacks are a violation of Flyertalk rules. That not withstanding, I don't follow the logic of how I want to allocate free/open/upgrade seats makes me a poor employer but to each his own....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.