Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes, another blow to top tier elites but a win for those of us below EXP who never have a regular shot at F anyhow.
You would think the high value top tier elites wouldn't be the people AA wants to turn off...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SS255
UA elites do not usually get offered TOD upgrades
Exactly what I anticipate. Now not only will EXP NOT get free upgrades, we won't even get the offer for the TOD. Huge benefit to being loyal to AA! Treat the highest value flyers the worst, solid strategy!
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
How is this a blow to top tier elites? I'm EP and love this if it means I don't need to call to upfare my flights after booking with a corporate travel agent.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I am traveling BOS-ORD on July 19th, took a look at "Manage Your Booking" link and saw an ad to "Upgrade to F from $72". The outbound was what I thought it would be to upfare to F (around $350) but the return on the 19th was indeed offered at $72. Note that I am an EXP and on the upgrade waitlist. Not sure if this falls within the current conversation, but thought it was weird. Of course, I didn't hesitate to pull out my credit card and snag the upgrade. Not playing "upgrade roulette" on a Friday evening our of Boston is well worth it. Apologies if I fell into their trap.

Was this in the app where it says "manage trip" or aa.com (where I don't see a Manage Your Booking link).?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I’m laughing so hard. So let’s follow this through: A customer remains loyal, gains points, achieves status with the idea that they’ll be able to upgrade. Only to have that seat sold for TOD. Yeah, thanks for your loyalty. Or so that is the proposal.

And that is if there are any seats available. In my last six months, with at least 16 flights on American, not one seat was open. For most there were standby lists and very long “upgrade” lists.

I can tell Warren Buffet and his minions are invested in airlines. Just as he manipulated gov’t policy to prevent/delay pipelines so his railroads could carry oil, he’s probably now mining the airline programs to manipulate value out of loyal customers. Good work, WB! You’re the man!

Hahahahahahahaha.

It’s called “CHOICE ARCHITECTURE.” Heads I win, tails you lose.

Hahahahahahahha.

Last edited by Flight44; Jul 7, 2019 at 3:33 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
The 'Top Tier' Elites are not waiting around for upgrades anyway, they are flying on paid first class tickets.
GlobalMatt and arlflyer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
You would think the high value top tier elites wouldn't be the people AA wants to turn off...
I didn't say "high value" in the post you quoted...I said top tier elites. "High value" customers buy premium cabins straight up and this is irrelevant to them. It's the 150-cheap-segment people who have rosy memories of the good old days of a free upgrade on nearly every flight that will be unhappy.

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
How is this a blow to top tier elites? I'm EP and love this if it means I don't need to call to upfare my flights after booking with a corporate travel agent.
Because it looks like you're already doing exactly what AA has hoped to train their customers to do over the past few years - stop expecting free upgrades (for years a fundamental tenet of the loyalty program) and instead break out your wallet.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
UA and DL flyers have stated repeatedly in this thread that these TOD offers aren't sent to existing elites. As for how it would be a blow even if they were...uh because you're now paying for something you used to get for free?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
The 'Top Tier' Elites are not waiting around for upgrades anyway, they are flying on paid first class tickets.
EXP here with $25k rolling spend, guess i'm not "top tier" and AA shouldn't care about my business unless i'm CK?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended

I didn't say "high value" in the post you quoted...I said top tier elites. "High value" customers buy premium cabins straight up and this is irrelevant to them. It's the 150-cheap-segment people who have rosy memories of the good old days of a free upgrade on nearly every flight that will be unhappy.
The bulk of my travel is longhaul premium cabin, but IF I am no longer getting free upgrades on the short domestic flights AND the # of SWU has been cut in half AND they have made it borderline impossible to use SWU in advance what exactly are EXP supposed to be getting for their loyalty anymore?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:23 pm

The bulk of my travel is longhaul premium cabin, but IF I am no longer getting free upgrades on the short domestic flights AND the # of SWU has been cut in half AND they have made it borderline impossible to use SWU in advance what exactly are EXP supposed to be getting for their loyalty anymore?
No idea; you'd have to ask AA. The general takeaway - if you haven't noticed - is that the frequent flyer universe is changing, and the good old days are gone. You and everybody else can pound the table all you want; I don't work for AA so don't kill the messenger.

Also, use the multi-quote button.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flight44
Reason: clarity
Not: successful.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Because it looks like you're already doing exactly what AA has hoped to train their customers to do over the past few years - stop expecting free upgrades (for years a fundamental tenet of the loyalty program) and instead break out your wallet.
As it should be. AA is in business to make $. If the flight is over 2.0 hours, I "buy up" to First unless all that's available is full fare First.
Navig8R likes this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Jul 7, 2019 at 6:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:04 pm

UA and DL flyers have stated repeatedly in this thread that these TOD offers aren't sent to existing elites. As for how it would be a blow even if they were...uh because you're now paying for something you used to get for free?
What offers? Just call and buy up. You don't need to wait for an "offer". All I want is to be able to buy up online so I don't have to call. If AA adds that, I'm super happy.

And, honestly, upgrades have been worthless now for many years, on all carriers. I have a family member who is Delta 360 and even he rarely gets upgraded on the domestic flights he takes. Those days are gone.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No idea; you'd have to ask AA. The general takeaway - if you haven't noticed - is that the frequent flyer universe is changing, and the good old days are gone. You and everybody else can pound the table all you want; I don't work for AA so don't kill the messenger.

Also, use the multi-quote button.
AA is rudderlessly flailing, so lord knows whether they actually have an answer or it's a "umm, DL seems to make it work".

The credit card gravy train will only last so long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.