Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
^I hope this also means the comp upgrade window is reduced to 24 hours or so. It's damn near impossible to buy 4 first class tickets for my family at the last minute these days....
IIRC, I've found there are fewer than that well before the complimentary upgrade window opens on many routes, so your beef may be more with Revenue Management than the upgrade procedure.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nall
IIRC, I've found there are fewer than that well before the complimentary upgrade window opens on many routes, so your beef may be more with Revenue Management than the upgrade procedure.
Have actually never encountered that situation. I have always been able to find it as long as I wasn't picky about departure time.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:53 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by jtav559
I

I do wonder if it will be just a straight up-fare calculation (total fare difference), or a discounted formula based on status and/or as you get closer to departure day and F seats remain unsold, or something similar to the LFBU and Kiosk upgrades of yester-year. Obviously, you'd stand the best chance at securing an paid upgrade F seat before the CK/EXP complimentary upgrade rolls happen.
I don't understand why people keep posting that question. The straight fare difference calculation has existed on AA .com for many months, at the very least for international fares. It will be much more complicated than that an I suspect will offer some good deals at times. Delta sure does! I am excited about this development.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I don't understand why people keep posting that question. The straight fare difference calculation has existed on AA .com for many months, at the very least for international fares.
Haven't had an Int'l fares to test this out. But on numerous domestic fares this year, I have not seen the ability to up-fare, post purchase of the original ticket, on AA.com. Have always had to call into the hotline to accomplish this. So I am surprised by your comment.... am I missing something?
Old May 4, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I don't understand why people keep posting that question. The straight fare difference calculation has existed on AA .com for many months, at the very least for international fares.
Screenshot? Example? Never seen this. Only seen the fare difference offer BEFORE ticketing, not after.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:59 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Screenshot? Example? Never seen this. Only seen the fare difference offer BEFORE ticketing, not after.
Who cares? All of this fanfare can not be over when in the booking process the option appears, can it?
Old May 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

I have an international flight coming up. No option to do anything online with it. So I called in.
I wish I could upgrade myself on just the domestic portions but they said no. I have Economy (MCE) for my domestic legs and PE for the international legs. I wanted First for those domestic legs but they said I had to upgrade the entire itinerary. Was this correct? They wanted $7k and I laughed and told her to have a nice day.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:18 pm

Who cares? All of this fanfare can not be over when in the booking process the option appears, can it?
It can be. One is giving you a chance to change your selection before purchase, with the same result as if you went back and changed it manually -- your previous selection disappears and there is one payment step and receipt for the new selection. The other allows generating a valid receipt for Y (e.g., for reimbursement) and then upfaring to J or F, possibly using a different payment source, and without canceling the original ticket.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
I have an international flight coming up. No option to do anything online with it. So I called in.
I wish I could upgrade myself on just the domestic portions but they said no. I have Economy (MCE) for my domestic legs and PE for the international legs. I wanted First for those domestic legs but they said I had to upgrade the entire itinerary. Was this correct? They wanted $7k and I laughed and told her to have a nice day.
Yes , this is correct. You would need to either
(a) upgrade the entire journey to business class or
(b) change existing booking to be just a PE journey for the part that is PE and then purchase a separate business class ticket for the domestic sectors
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

"who cares" = "oops, I completely misunderstood the topic, obviously" ["AA moving to TOD “tens of dollars” for First Class & Upgrades?"]
TheDudeAbides and potus18 like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You are clearly missing the point.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Yes , this is correct. You would need to either
(a) upgrade the entire journey to business class or
(b) change existing booking to be just a PE journey for the part that is PE and then purchase a separate business class ticket for the domestic sectors
Does this rule only apply for domestic leg? I was able
to upfare international leg and domestic stayed in Y.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

Does this rule only apply for domestic leg? I was able
to upfare international leg and domestic stayed in Y.
If you upgrade a fare, then the whole fare component will be upgraded. If you had a fare which covered LHR-BOS-LGA ( for example ) and you upgraded the LHR-BOS fare to business class, then assuming availability in the appropriate booking class, then the BOS-LGA would be upgraded to business class, You could stay in economy class for BOS-LGA if you want to, but no good reason to do so

If the fare comprised 2 compoents for LHR-BOS and another component for BOS-LGA, then upgrading LHR-BOS would only allow that part to be upgraded
Old May 4, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you upgrade a fare, then the whole fare component will be upgraded. If you had a fare which covered LHR-BOS-LGA ( for example ) and you upgraded the LHR-BOS fare to business class, then assuming availability in the appropriate booking class, then the BOS-LGA would be upgraded to business class, You could stay in economy class for BOS-LGA if you want to, but no good reason to do so

If the fare comprised 2 compoents for LHR-BOS and another component for BOS-LGA, then upgrading LHR-BOS would only allow that part to be upgraded
interesting. I had ORD-DFW-LHR and I upfared DFW-LHR - I specifically asked for just that leg to be upfared. I guess I could have been in F for ORd DFW leg
Old May 4, 2019, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

interesting. I had ORD-DFW-LHR and I upfared DFW-LHR - I specifically asked for just that leg to be upfared. I guess I could have been in F for ORd DFW leg
Unless it got changed to 2 fare components ORD-DFW and then a DFW-LHR, then, subject to availability in appropriate booking class, you probably could have travelled in business class for ORD-DFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.