Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
.......$250 per person to upgrade to business for the flights home. I would have taken it in a heart beat......
Should've spent the $250 and left your husband in the back!
largeeyes and SunkissedMommy like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I wish AA would move to this and offer it to all like elites....I am moving my summer travel to Delta because of AAs incompetence and was offered both a cash and straight mileage upgrade offer to FC after booking. Took it immediately.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Spanish
Should've spent the $250 and left your husband in the back!
Believe me, the thought crossed my mind. But it was a daytime flight and I figured we would talk all the way home. Plus it was our first kid free vacation in 7 years, so I was just being nice!!
Zacnlinc and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
Also - I can't image anyone spending more than 3% of their income on personal airfare. If you spend $15K per year for EXP - I think you need over $500K income - and likely more.

Let's say someone spending $100K on personal travel - even at 5% - would be an income of $2M a year.
I know people at that level - and they would not even think of buying a coach ticket for anything.

Only justification would be deductible from some kind of business or self employed business.
I spend about 8% of my income on AA tickets. I also spend more than 5% on Uber, but that's another discussion, lolz

I own the business, so it all gets run through schedule C, but it's still a big chunk of my income. My total travel expenses are around a fifth of my gross. I think a lot of us are in that boat.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I spend about 8% of my income on AA tickets. I also spend more than 5% on Uber, but that's another discussion, lolz

I own the business, so it all gets run through schedule C, but it's still a big chunk of my income. My total travel expenses are around a fifth of my gross. I think a lot of us are in that boat.
Nothing wrong with all this. You own the business, and sounds like traveling is a big part of running that business. So all very justified.

Likely OK to spend 5% on Uber (if you don't own a car). But maybe you live in NYC and get around by Uber as part of your business.

As long as it is business and goes on Schedule C - all justified.

My original point was if you only do personal travel and you do not cheat on your taxes (ie don't have a valid business but figure out someway to deduct). then spending > $100K a year after tax on premium international travel (plus associated hotels, etc) you would need to have > $1M (likely more like $2M) income. High incomes pay a lot of tax - unless you are gaming the system.
---- And then why penny pinch on domestic travel
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
You would think the high value top tier elites wouldn't be the people AA wants to turn off...
EPs still get TOD offers. I am EP, 150K EQM, $20K EQD last year, on track for 200K, $20K+ this year.

Several days ago, I saw online and accepted a $205 "upgrade" for my outbound SFO-DFW-ORD two days ago (bought the connection vs. direct since my wife had an F award ticket on that). FWIW, the offer had appeared only on the web page and app, no email notification rcvd, and $205 was less than the fare difference at tkt purchase three months ago. Also FWIW, as expected I received (and saw posted) double EQM for F.

Today, I saw on the website and in the app an upgrade offer for my ORD-SFO return tomorrow for $23, truly TOD and a no-brainer to take. Unfortunately, the feature is "broken" today -- in the app, clicking on it yields the frequently seen "Our system is having trouble," and on the website it silently returns you to the AA home page.

Called, and the agent confirmed broken using my account from their browsers too, and they don't have access to this particular kind of web offer anyway, he said. He put in a ticket with IT, but it probably won't be seen for months. Worst software and QA of any airline, IMO.
deeruck likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wake
EPs still get TOD offers. I am EP, 150K EQM, $20K EQD last year, on track for 200K, $20K+ this year.

Several days ago, I saw online and accepted a $205 "upgrade" for my outbound SFO-DFW-ORD two days ago (bought the connection vs. direct since my wife had an F award ticket on that). FWIW, the offer had appeared only on the web page and app, no email notification rcvd, and $205 was less than the fare difference at tkt purchase three months ago. Also FWIW, as expected I received (and saw posted) double EQM for F.

Today, I saw on the website and in the app an upgrade offer for my ORD-SFO return tomorrow for $23, truly TOD and a no-brainer to take. Unfortunately, the feature is "broken" today -- in the app, clicking on it yields the frequently seen "Our system is having trouble," and on the website it silently returns you to the AA home page.

Called, and the agent confirmed broken using my account from their browsers too, and they don't have access to this particular kind of web offer anyway, he said. He put in a ticket with IT, but it probably won't be seen for months. Worst software and QA of any airline, IMO.
so AA is trying to sell a buy up for $23 and it conveniently says "our system is having trouble".

SouthernCross likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I have never been offered these types of upgrade offers.....what gives?
PlatinumScum likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I have never been offered these types of upgrade offers.....what gives?
me neither. Don’t even know where to look. Is it something that pops up when you call up the reservation details?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The offers appear when you open the reservation on aa.com and on the mobile app. As I mentioned above, the offers so far only show up for me for reservations booked via AA, not travel agents.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Got one of these for an upcoming DCA-MSP flight a week out. 500-mile upgrades requested, but when I access the reservation on AA.com or in the app, it offers to "upsell" for $121. From the T&C it seems like this may earn full EQM ("AAdvantage benefits and mileage accrual will be based on the new ticket.") If that's the case then this isn't a bad deal at all.

Last edited by msr0013; Aug 1, 2019 at 10:23 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:24 am
Suspended

Just got an upgrade offer in the App for LGA-DTW-LGA

except they want $795 to upgrade.......um yea right!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just got an upgrade offer in the App for LGA-DTW-LGA

except they want $795 to upgrade.......um yea right!
Same here CLT-BOS upgrade for only $722, now that's a good deal for a bag of chips and a few extra inches of leg room
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Gold
Currently getting an offer for BOS-DFW in about 10 days for $548... I’ll pass...
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
Booked one yesterday from AUS-LAX for $99. The fare difference was ~$100 when I booked, but I didn't need the EQDs/EQMs and the upgrade chances were good so I didn't bite. However I figured people who booked early when the difference was larger would probably jump on that offer, so I guess they're having the desired effect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.