Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:42 am

Last month I was checking in for my flight home from Rome. We were booked in Premium Econ from the start and had paid about $1,400 per person. While completing the check-in we had an option for $250 per person to upgrade to business for the flights home. I would have taken it in a heart beat by my husband said PE was good enough for us, lol. We have no status since we don't fly frequently enough but we tend to stick with AA just for miles purposes. We did not get the same offer when checking in to start our trip so I assume they are offering this when business isn't full.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Last month I was checking in for my flight home from Rome. We were booked in Premium Econ from the start and had paid about $1,400 per person. While completing the check-in we had an option for $250 per person to upgrade to business for the flights home. I would have taken it in a heart beat by my husband said PE was good enough for us, lol. We have no status since we don't fly frequently enough but we tend to stick with AA just for miles purposes. We did not get the same offer when checking in to start our trip so I assume they are offering this when business isn't full.
This is a Load Factor Based Upgrade or a Day of Departure Upgrade and has been around for a while.
SunkissedMommy likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
This is a Load Factor Based Upgrade or a Day of Departure Upgrade and has been around for a while.
Thank you. Im still learning the ropes of how all this stuff works in hope that I may get some type of status one day!
Thats what I had assumed being that PE still had seats for sale a couple days before and it was full on our flight. Economy had a lot of open seats, so plenty of people moved up.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I just booked a short personal trip and, yes, the "upgrade" offer shows and is definitely less than the upfare. (And, I'm EP and got the offer.)
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Corrrection, I think: The offer said "$85 per person". Clicking on the offer brings up a different page where the offer is "$197 per person" for the first leg and "$85 per person" for the second leg, which roughly combined was the upfare price. So, I'm not sure if this is an upgrade or an upfare. The page calls it an "Instant Upsell".

Here are the T&Cs, which mentions new fare rules implying it's an upfare, not an upgrade. Some communication from AA on exactly what this is would be helpful. ;-)

Offer Terms and Conditions

• You'll only receive this offer when your entire trip is operated and marketed by American Airlines or by one of our regional affiliates as American Eagle® and an upgraded seat is available for all passengers in the itinerary on at least one of your flights.
  • This offer is per person, and based on your original trip and passenger eligibility, which may include ticket fare class, ticket status and purchase history.
  • We make this offer at our sole discretion and may restrict, modify, or discontinue it at any time without notice.
  • This offer cannot be put on hold and is not guaranteed until your credit or debit card payment has processed and you receive confirmation of your purchase.
  • After your purchase, the new fare rules will apply (and could be more restrictive) along with the conditions of carriage and terms and conditions.
  • AAdvantage® benefits and mileage accrual will be based on the new ticket.
  • If you paid for Main Cabin Extra or a preferred seat, we'll automatically refund the original form of payment.
  • If you paid for bags, please request a refund on aa.com. Request a refund
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, National Executive, Delta Silver, United Silver
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
On today's earnings call a question came up regarding an IT improvement going live. The response was that the initiative was "post purchase but pre flight" and involved an upsell of the premium cabin "by the end of May".
Wouldn't this require them to actually, you know... have a "premium economy" product? Handing out free drinks in a couple of rows isn't that. Delta does a really good job with middle-of-the-plane experience, and I was happy to upgrade myself on nearly every flight. American is so far behind the other non-discount US carriers they can't even see the exhaust plume any more. If I didn't live in an AA hub, I would never use this crap airline in other then the most exigent of circumstances. Old planes, zero amenities, no wifi, no power, no seatback entertainment systems...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by robertablake
I am exactly the same.
i still find this interesting. A CK spending over $100K a year for personal, non-reimbursed travel, but choosing to save a few hundred $ more to only book coach domestic with thought that CK always get an upgrade. ( I could see if it was paid business which allows international J but requires coach domestically - but that doesn't appear to be the case here). You still get double EQM for J domestically, so maybe you would earn more SWU's and that may provide better savings.

I guess it depends on the route. On DCA-DFW or LAX flights - most times - nobody gets upgraded (full more than 5 days out) - and when they call CK preboard - you notice those CK sitting in coach.

I guess what AA cares is that you are spending $5K or more for international flights - and they can forgo that extra full hundred dollars you save buying coach tickets domestically.

Subject here is TOD's. You might want to prepare for paying for J domestically, as TODs will sell upgrades to non-elites over Elites.

Also - I can't image anyone spending more than 3% of their income on personal airfare. If you spend $15K per year for EXP - I think you need over $500K income - and likely more.

Let's say someone spending $100K on personal travel - even at 5% - would be an income of $2M a year.
I know people at that level - and they would not even think of buying a coach ticket for anything.

Only justification would be deductible from some kind of business or self employed business.

Last edited by cova; Jul 10, 2019 at 7:35 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
It's not unusual. I'm often behind a few CKs on the upgrade list for domestic transcons.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
It's not unusual. I'm often behind a few CKs on the upgrade list for domestic transcons.
I was recently on a MIA-LHR flight with 8 CK's on the upgrade list and there were J seats for sell up to the last minute.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by cova
i still find this interesting. A CK spending over $100K a year for personal, non-reimbursed travel, but choosing to save a few hundred $ more to only book coach domestic with thought that CK always get an upgrade. ( I could see if it was paid business which allows international J but requires coach domestically - but that doesn't appear to be the case here). You still get double EQM for J domestically, so maybe you would earn more SWU's and that may provide better savings.

I guess it depends on the route. On DCA-DFW or LAX flights - most times - nobody gets upgraded (full more than 5 days out) - and when they call CK preboard - you notice those CK sitting in coach.

I guess what AA cares is that you are spending $5K or more for international flights - and they can forgo that extra full hundred dollars you save buying coach tickets domestically.

Subject here is TOD's. You might want to prepare for paying for J domestically, as TODs will sell upgrades to non-elites over Elites.

Also - I can't image anyone spending more than 3% of their income on personal airfare. If you spend $15K per year for EXP - I think you need over $500K income - and likely more.

Let's say someone spending $100K on personal travel - even at 5% - would be an income of $2M a year.
I know people at that level - and they would not even think of buying a coach ticket for anything.

Only justification would be deductible from some kind of business or self employed business.
A lot of assumptions here.

Everyone's situation is different. For me, my company pays for J for my international flights, but only will pay for economy on my domestic flights, which is a typical business policy. Being booked in coach on domestic hasn't bothered me to date as I have not missed an upgrade in quite sometime. The vast majority of my AA expenditures is paid for by the company. I don't even book or pay for those flights - the travel person in my company does with the corporate card - I wish I could flow that spend through my card :-)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:36 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT

I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that all of that CK's travel was personal! I saw nothing to support that. At any rate, I spend more than 3% on airfare - it may not be common but not impossible either!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:41 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by SunkissedMommy
Thank you. Im still learning the ropes of how all this stuff works in hope that I may get some type of status one day!
Thats what I had assumed being that PE still had seats for sale a couple days before and it was full on our flight. Economy had a lot of open seats, so plenty of people moved up.
Or maybe people actually bought those seats!!! It does happen! $250 for business is a steal and I would have jumped at it!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia

I’m not sure how this doesn’t make sense. I choose to pay for business internationally because of the longer flights. Domestically, I choose to pay for coach because under the current system I am very likely to fly in first, but can tolerate 2-3 hours in coach if need be.

I am not unique with this arrangement — I know of several CKs who do similar.
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that all of that CK's travel was personal! I saw nothing to support that. At any rate, I spend more than 3% on airfare - it may not be common but not impossible either!
I think the first CK that posted stated that they choose to pay for business and choose to pay for coach domestically. Corporate policies aren't a choice. You can be self-employed and choose, in which case you are the leader of the company and set policy.

Unless you are deducting airfare from some business you own or are a member of, it is hard to justify real expensive fares.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:37 pm

FWIW, the feature to buy up only seems to work on tickets purchased direct through AA, not tickets booked through a CTA. That's disappointing if they never change that.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:40 pm

I know several that easily re-qualify for EP each year solely or almost completely on personal travel. It's easy to spend $15K. Two advanced purchase business fares and a few domestic transcons and you're there. And, none make anywhere near that amount but choose to spend their discretionary income on travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.