Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 7:53 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
"who cares" = "oops, I completely misunderstood the topic, obviously" ["AA moving to TOD “tens of dollars” for First Class & Upgrades?"]
WRONG! Please re-read the dozen+ posts above wondering if the calculation is just a 'straight fare differential" or something different. Obviously, I think it is something different or else what is the point of all of this? Anyone can buy a F fare now and see the price differential at multiple times throughout the booking process. Please don't attack me for responding to misplaced speculation. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
WRONG! Please re-read the dozen+ posts above wondering if the calculation is just a 'straight fare differential" or something different. Obviously, I think it is something different or else what is the point of all of this? Anyone can buy a F fare now and see the price differential at multiple times throughout the booking process. Please don't attack me for responding to misplaced speculation. Thanks!
Try and slow down and get it straight, please:

Who cares? All of this fanfare can not be over when in the booking process the option appears, can it?
Old May 6, 2019, 12:18 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Try and slow down and get it straight, please:
I don't know how else to state it. The website ALREADY gives the fare difference calculation prior to confirming, at least for international fares. My point is trying to respond to the many people who do NOT think this new approach will be something other than that. By definition, it must be a more aggressive way to get people to buy-up from coach fares by looking at load factors, how close to departure and whatever else revenue management can dream up for their calculations/algorithms. Otherwise, it is no real change from current state.

So instead of attacking me, how about you slow down and you try to get it straight, "please" and thank you!
Old May 6, 2019, 1:43 pm

I don't know how else to state it. The website ALREADY gives the fare difference calculation prior to confirming, at least for international fares. My point is trying to respond to the many people who do NOT think this new approach will be something other than that. By definition, it must be a more aggressive way to get people to buy-up from coach fares by looking at load factors, how close to departure and whatever else revenue management can dream up for their calculations/algorithms. Otherwise, it is no real change from current state.

So instead of attacking me, how about you slow down and you try to get it straight, "please" and thank you!
I think I addressed this in post #83 above, as to why it could matter even if it is based on fare difference.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

I understand your point and agree with it to a degree, but AA's situation is a lot different than some of their competitors. Where United, for example, is trying to scrape together any revenue it can get before giving F away, AA is already selling all of its F inventory for something on all flights but the ones under 500 miles. In many cases the sticker revenue is greater than the TOD offers on UA, in my experience, so I think the function of the TOD-type system at AA would have to have a little different spin on it or they would just be cannibalizing the existing revenue streams.

I know there ARE flights that do go out with a couple of empty F seats where there is opportunity to push discounted upsells, but given how the lists look on every flight I'm on, I can't imagine AA undermining supported upgrades for lower levels of revenue -- even if you're just balancing them against earned miles and earned stickers (which still have a value on AA's books and a tangible cost).

So just like the kiosks, I'm sure there will be a TOD component, but I can't see that as nearly as large an opportunity as upselling existing tickets. Better promotion of the benefits of F during the booking process is great, AND actually is more effective than just laying them out side-by-side, but AA is walking away from boat loads of revenue from those of us that would be happy just to buy up if we didn't have to call in and get our tickets exchanged every time -- especially since we have to keep looking at the fares and calculating what the difference is manually to drive the decision on whether to make the call. Many people never even bother to see what it is at various points of their holding the reservation. I know this wasn't the crux of your point, but it just seems to me that ticketed upselling has a lot of low hanging fruit.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Because almost every business traveler I know must use their corporate booking tool, so this is designed for those people who don't see the price differential at aa.com. This is supposed to allow those who had to use a TA to buy-up without needing to call and without messing with the underlying ticket, allowing the TA to retain control of the portion booked by the TA.
deeruck and Antarius like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Because almost every business traveler I know must use their corporate booking tool, so this is designed for those people who don't see the price differential at aa.com. This is supposed to allow those who had to use a TA to buy-up without needing to call and without messing with the underlying ticket, allowing the TA to retain control of the portion booked by the TA.
At the moment, isn't it speculation - Until AA initiates this and it is clear what exactly AA is doing
Old May 20, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Hopefully AA doesn't follow Delta selling FC for $2!

https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...636.1525827744
Old May 20, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by donotblink

"Look, all Delta investors, we're selling 100% of first class seats! And sometimes for multiple dollars!"
Old May 20, 2019, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by donotblink

This isn't necessary DL "selling F for $2." It's more about the limitations of technology. A few years ago when I was buying tickets close in (less than 24 hours) F was at times lower than Y on both AA and DL. Unfortunately technology doesn't "solve all" and isn't always as good as a human being that would immediately realize the issue and adjust.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Has there been any more info on when this will rollout, whatever "this" is? I thought AA had said end of May, but here we are in July and I recall seeing anything more on this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Has there been any more info on when this will rollout, whatever "this" is? I thought AA had said end of May, but here we are in July and I recall seeing anything more on this.
I was just thinking about this thread the other day, and agree that things have gone quiet. NTTAWWT.

Wonder if we'll hearing anything on the quarterly earnings call - which should be in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a current itinerary where AA is offering me to “move to first class for as low as $1,067” on a domestic one way from PHX - ORD. I have no idea where they pulled this number from as the current first fare for this flight is $468, so if anything I would just upfare.

Seems like they still have some kinks to work out.
deeruck and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
I am traveling BOS-ORD on July 19th, took a look at "Manage Your Booking" link and saw an ad to "Upgrade to F from $72". The outbound was what I thought it would be to upfare to F (around $350) but the return on the 19th was indeed offered at $72. Note that I am an EXP and on the upgrade waitlist. Not sure if this falls within the current conversation, but thought it was weird. Of course, I didn't hesitate to pull out my credit card and snag the upgrade. Not playing "upgrade roulette" on a Friday evening our of Boston is well worth it. Apologies if I fell into their trap.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
I am traveling BOS-ORD on July 19th, took a look at "Manage Your Booking" link and saw an ad to "Upgrade to F from $72". The outbound was what I thought it would be to upfare to F (around $350) but the return on the 19th was indeed offered at $72. Note that I am an EXP and on the upgrade waitlist. Not sure if this falls within the current conversation, but thought it was weird. Of course, I didn't hesitate to pull out my credit card and snag the upgrade. Not playing "upgrade roulette" on a Friday evening our of Boston is well worth it. Apologies if I fell into their trap.
Now the question: Is this an upgrade or an upfare/sellup/whatever it's called? Let us know how this ends up posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.