FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1966301-archive-aadvantage-million-miler-program-dec-2011-master-thd.html)

IflyonAA Aug 25, 2011 7:22 am

Well I just traded in 60 500 mile upgrades for 30,000 miles. 30k closer - 85,590 miles or 42,795 flying miles to go before Dec 1 for 1 million.

Now would be a good time for others to trade in their 500 mile upgrades.

IflyonAA Aug 25, 2011 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 16991239)
Reading through this thread, it is amazing to me how much value people place on lifetime plat and certainly lifetime gold. I mean in my book it really isn't that valuable. Why on earth anyone would, for example, direct $100-$200k of "gravy" AA's way so they can save $25 bag fees?????? C'mon!

I love your comment. It's 'bang on'.

brp Aug 25, 2011 7:29 am

Originally Posted by IflyonAA (Post 16991568)
Well I just traded in 60 500 mile upgrades for 30,000 miles. 30k closer - 85,590 miles or 42,795 flying miles to go before Dec 1 for 1 million.

Of course, if you plan to be EXP next year, you don't need to to anything prior to 12/1.You'll be EXP in the interim and hit 1MM next near on natural flying...and you'll get miles instead of stickers if you wait.

Cheers.

ceieoc Aug 25, 2011 7:48 am

This is what happened to frequent flyer miles when Aloha airlines went bankrupt

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 16990105)
Will this affect current lifetime members? Will they have to requalify?

Only after the lifetime member dies, or American Airlines (AMR) goes bankrupt or if American Airlines decides to change the name of the program. However, if that lifetime member is reincarnated, to requalify on American Airlines, it appears they would start earning miles from zero miles.

I was in Hawaii when Aloha Airlines went bankrupt. Many customers who were stranded at the gate from suspended operations, were asking the gate agents questions about their frequent flyer miles. The staff said they couldn't say or didn't know. A very vocal customer then demanded a supervisor and asked what happened to their 600,000 frequent flyer miles they had earned. The crowd at the gate waited to hear a response.

Reluctantly, the supervisor yelled back, "Tough luck braddah (brother). You lose all your miles. Your miles are worthless and I quit."

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/u...tml?id=2541751

http://www.mauigoodness.com/2008/04/...lines-bankrupt

mosquito Aug 25, 2011 7:48 am

I'm still 500k miles away from the 1MM mark. :(

Think it's time for me to turn in the credit card and shift into neutral.

3Cforme Aug 25, 2011 7:57 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 16991688)
Only after the lifetime member dies, or American Airlines (AMR) goes bankrupt or if American Airlines decides to change the name of the program. However, if that lifetime member is reincarnated, to requalify on American Airlines, it appears they would start earning miles from zero miles.

I was in Hawaii when Aloha Airlines went bankrupt.

AA may well be put into bankruptcy some day, but it would likely be a Chapter 11, not a Chapter 7 liquidation, so the relevance of loss of Aloha miles here is lost on me.

belvie1 Aug 25, 2011 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Reading through this thread, it is amazing to me how much value people place on lifetime plat and certainly lifetime gold. I mean in my book it really isn't that valuable. Why on earth anyone would, for example, direct $100-$200k of "gravy" AA's way so they can save $25 bag fees?????? C'mon!

Originally Posted by pkerr (Post 16991309)
Not saying it's worth it but LT Plat = Free bags, exit rows, double miles

I have to agree with pkerr, the value of LT PLT is much more than waived baggage fees. For me, I prize the double miles, international lounge access and first/business class check-in. On numerous occasions, the check-in line for coach in Frankfurt, Rome or Paris has been out the door (literally). It feels so good to just walk up to the counter and get a boarding pass (or check a bag) in 5 minutes or less.

ceieoc Aug 25, 2011 8:08 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 16991743)
AA may well be put into bankruptcy some day, but it would likely be a Chapter 11, not a Chapter 7 liquidation, so the relevance of loss of Aloha miles here is lost on me.

People concerned about the Aloha Airlines bankruptcy were told not to worry about their frequent flyer miles because the bankruptcy would likely be a Chapter 11, not a Chapter 7 liquidation. They were unfortunately, misinformed and lost all their frequent flyer miles earned with this airline.

vrbaba Aug 25, 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ceieoc (Post 16991688)

I was in Hawaii when Aloha Airlines went bankrupt. Many customers who were stranded at the gate from suspended operations, were asking the gate agents questions about their frequent flyer miles. The staff said they couldn't say or didn't know. A very vocal customer then demanded a supervisor and asked what happened to their 600,000 frequent flyer miles they had earned. The crowd at the gate waited to hear a response.

Reluctantly, the supervisor yelled back, "Tough luck braddah (brother). You lose all your miles. Your miles are worthless and I quit."

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/u...tml?id=2541751

http://www.mauigoodness.com/2008/04/...lines-bankrupt

It is safe (necessary) to assume frequent flyer miles are not bank/govt backed asset. So, good idea to always keep that in mind. Its surprising people sometimes boast about the number of miles in their account.

Rest assured, the value of miles will not be going up, quite the contrary (although the rate of decline varies).

jaf Aug 25, 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 16989345)
No. I believe many of us wish we could exchange our stickers for miles.

you can, but the exchange rate sucks! 500 mile sticker exchanges to 500 miles. 8 stickers = 4000 miles. stickers were meant for upgrades.

jaf Aug 25, 2011 8:13 am

Originally Posted by jambajuice (Post 16989573)
I thought even now we could exchange for bonus miles with our upgrade stickers as long as we talk nicely with the associate?

i thought upgrade stickers only convert to 500 miles. 8 x 500 = 4,000. nowhere near 35,000.

ma91pmh Aug 25, 2011 8:14 am

Originally Posted by vrbaba (Post 16991815)
It is safe (necessary) to assume frequent flyer miles are not bank/govt backed asset. So, good idea to always keep that in mind. Its surprising people sometimes boast about the number of miles in their account.

Rest assured, the value of miles will not be going up, quite the contrary (although the rate of decline varies).

Absolutely. You are taking credit risk to a pretty poor business (when has an airline ever made lots of money?) and priced in a currency that the issuer controls and is almost constantly deflating. Earn and spend is my motto while the going is good

onetess Aug 25, 2011 8:15 am

I don't understand all this talk about turning in the credit card. Even if you don't earn BIS miles, you still get *miles* which you can use to *fly* with. AFAIK, there are no other programs where you can earn BIS miles for credit card use, and no other programs where you can transfer points earned through purchasing things to AA (e.g. Amex doesn't transfer). So, what credit card are you going to switch to that will be preferable?

seawolf Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by jss (Post 16988234)
This change was one of the worst kept secrets around--it has been telegraphed here for months. Thus I'm surprised by some of the comments here about going elsewhere etc...it was generally accepted that BIS was going to be the std. going forward.

True AA 1MM BIS only gives you Gold while UA 1MM BIS gives you the eqv. of PLT--but on AA JAL, CX, BA also count whereas UA has to UA metal. If LH counted on UA I would be much closer to 2MM there.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who posted here over the past year or so re this--I accelerated my AA flying in place of UA, used only my Citi AA card i/o Chase UA card, etc.. so I am closing in 2MM which quite luckily I should hit early November. I'm just glad that I had the opportunity to take (if you'll pardon the pun) advantage of all the extra ways to earn mileage while they were out there. This and other FT forums served their purpose in my case and I say thanks for that.

My thoughts exactly. We've known about these changes for months with an original estimate date of AUG 1. AA just gave you four extra months and made it less restrictive (all airline partner BIS miles count) than the original rumor of just AA BIS miles.

I doubt it will affect the way people earn non flying miles because the majority of miles earned are (surprise surprise) not by FT members but the general public and the general public isn't even aware of the MM program to begin with.

For those who claim they will not fly AA anymore, guess what? Chances are that your MM counter with the other airlines is lower than your AA one and just because the other airline MM program is better today doesn't meant it will stay that way by the time you get MM status.

Lifetime AA status doesn't mean your lifetime. It's referring to the lifetime of the AAdvantage program. There's no guarantee that it will survive an acquisition or bankruptcy years down the road. Just ask the "lifetime" TWA club members what happened to their lounge memberships after AA acquired them.

vrbaba Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am

Originally Posted by onetess (Post 16991849)
I don't understand all this talk about turning in the credit card. Even if you don't earn BIS miles, you still get *miles* which you can use to *fly* with. AFAIK, there are no other programs where you can earn BIS miles for credit card use, and no other programs where you can transfer points earned through purchasing things to AA (e.g. Amex doesn't transfer). So, what credit card are you going to switch to that will be preferable?

The argument is AA CC offers only 1 mile/$. There are other credit cards which are better at earning and more flexible (e.g. Amex MR or SPG). The advantage with AA was these miles counted towards lifetime and now they dont. So, for people who earn miles for free flights through CC should now switch as they are better options.