FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1962157-flight-xx-cancellation-delay-diversion-etc-date-2019-consolidated.html)

Antarius Jun 2, 2019 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828 (Post 31164605)
Obergruppenfuhrer Parker and Subcommandante Isom can certainly avoid having to experience their own product. I would love to see video of either of them sitting in an Oasis Torture Tube middle seat on a tarmac-parked MX delay. With customers of size in the window and aisle, screaming children directly fore and aft, and no water or food. 8 hours, no return to the gate.

Maybe, it's just possible, that the judge may have experienced the same thing.

:rolleyes:

kr777 Jun 3, 2019 3:44 am

Adding more of 6/2
6/2 AA150 ORD-CDG 3 hours late
6/2 AA40 ORD-BCN 4 hours late
6/2 AA208 ORD-DUB 2.5 hours late
6/2 AA758 PHL-ATH 1.5 hours late
6/2 AA96 PHL-BUD 7 hours late before cancelled
6/2 AA92 PHL-ZRH 7.5 hours late
6/2 AA52 PHL-PRG 3 hours late
6/2 AA736 PHL-LHR 3.5 hours late
6/2 AA258 PHL-LIS 1.5 hours late
6/2 AA728 PHL-LHR 5 hours late before cancelled
6/2 AA220 DFW-AMS 2 hours late
6/2 AA36 DFW-MAD 2 hours late
6/2 AA78 DFW-LHR 2.5 hours late

AANYC1981 Jun 3, 2019 5:46 am

WTH is AA's plan to do about this (besides suing)......it's getting ridiculous. This is effecting a ton of people with set travel plans, hotels booked, cruises they're trying to take etc. It's simply unacceptable.

iahphx Jun 3, 2019 6:03 am

Originally Posted by seat7a.speedbird2.030828 (Post 31164605)
Obergruppenfuhrer Parker and Subcommandante Isom can certainly avoid having to experience their own product. I would love to see video of either of them sitting in an Oasis Torture Tube middle seat on a tarmac-parked MX delay. With customers of size in the window and aisle, screaming children directly fore and aft, and no water or food. 8 hours, no return to the gate.

Maybe, it's just possible, that the judge may have experienced the same thing.

Your post is absurd. Union slowdowns have nothing to do with the comfort of AA's aircraft (which, by the way, is about the same as it is on their major competitors). The mechanics unions don't give a hoot about your comfort and convenience as a passenger. It's about themselves, and how much money for how little work their members will get. There's a reason why our country's overall economy isn't structured this way. These shenanigans are bad for everyone. But USA airlines are stuck with the arcane provisions of the 1926 Railway Labor Act, and these stupid delays will pop up at every airline ever so often. And then they get resolved, and the world goes on.

david22 Jun 3, 2019 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy (Post 31164492)
Yeah, spent the night at my expense after my ORD-ATL delayed for three hours, then four, then canceled. Soonest I could get home was 6pm Tuesday via MIA which was comically backwards but no other option because "weather". There was more red up on the boards than white.

Same here :-(

Two of us stayed overnight at ORD at our expense. My partner and I were on a non-stop ORD -> SFO return flight on a paid First ticket. The most frustrating part was that, looking at all of the ORD -> SFO non-stop flights that day (including other carriers), only one got canceled... our AA flight. People who were traveling with us the same weekend made it back. I should have asked for rebooking on United because all of their flights made it (albeit with delays).

We ended up going ORD -> LAX -> SFO the next day... getting us home 28 hours late. AA said we should be grateful we were able to get there the next day and were extra lucky they could re-accommodate us in our paid class of service on the transcon leg... :rolleyes: First time on AA... now I see why people say they are terrible. AA was super unhelpful and surly all around in this situation. [I got that rebooking by spending a huge amount of time on the AA app checking and rechecking over the next 24 hours, not through AA agent support.]

iahphx Jun 3, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by kr777 (Post 31165142)
Adding more of 6/2
6/2 AA150 ORD-CDG 3 hours late
6/2 AA40 ORD-BCN 4 hours late
6/2 AA208 ORD-DUB 2.5 hours late
6/2 AA758 PHL-ATH 1.5 hours late
6/2 AA96 PHL-BUD 7 hours late before cancelled
6/2 AA92 PHL-ZRH 7.5 hours late
6/2 AA52 PHL-PRG 3 hours late
6/2 AA736 PHL-LHR 3.5 hours late
6/2 AA258 PHL-LIS 1.5 hours late
6/2 AA728 PHL-LHR 5 hours late before cancelled
6/2 AA220 DFW-AMS 2 hours late
6/2 AA36 DFW-MAD 2 hours late
6/2 AA78 DFW-LHR 2.5 hours late

How are you finding the late international flights? Flightaware makes it relatively easy to find the cancelled flights but, as your data shows, that's only a (relatively) small part of the problem.

BTW, did anyone regularly monitor this BEFORE the mechanics stuff started happening? AA has been running an OK-but-not-great operation for more than a year now. On a normal weather day, they seem to cancel about 1% of their flights. I don't see those number ballooning here, but the cancellations/delays on the int'l flights don't seem normal to me. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have generally good luck with int'l flights. They seem to have much more slack built into their schedule, so the flights seem significantly more likely to operate on-schedule than, say, USA domestic flights. But now on AA it seems the opposite is true. I assume a historical look at AA's operations confirms this new (and bad) development for the int'l network?

dkc192 Jun 3, 2019 10:44 pm

Today marks the sixth time in seven days that AA40 ORD-BCN has been delayed by at least an hour leaving ORD. Scheduled departure is 10pm CDT. Here's when the flight left the past seven days, according to FlightAware:

5/28: 2:45am (4.75h late)
5/29: 9:58pm (on time!)
5/30: 1:58am (4h late)
5/31: 11:45pm (1.75h late)
6/1: 11:03pm (1h late)
6/2: 1:49am (3.75h late)
6/3: 11:23pm (1.5h late)

I would love to have a job that I could keep with a success/approval rate of 14%. This is truly pathetic.

kr777 Jun 4, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 31167047)
How are you finding the late international flights? Flightaware makes it relatively easy to find the cancelled flights but, as your data shows, that's only a (relatively) small part of the problem.

BTW, did anyone regularly monitor this BEFORE the mechanics stuff started happening? AA has been running an OK-but-not-great operation for more than a year now. On a normal weather day, they seem to cancel about 1% of their flights. I don't see those number ballooning here, but the cancellations/delays on the int'l flights don't seem normal to me. Maybe I'm lucky, but I have generally good luck with int'l flights. They seem to have much more slack built into their schedule, so the flights seem significantly more likely to operate on-schedule than, say, USA domestic flights. But now on AA it seems the opposite is true. I assume a historical look at AA's operations confirms this new (and bad) development for the int'l network?

Mainly use flightstats, and search each hub. It seems like it only got really bad these last few weeks.

Yesterday, no international cancels that I can find.
6/3 AA36 DFW-MAD 3 hours late
6/3 AA907 MIA-EZE 3 hours late
6/3 AA98 ORD-LHR 2 hours late
6/3 AA86 ORD-LHR 1.5 hours late
6/3 AA181 LAX-PEK 2 hours late

dls25 Jun 4, 2019 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 31168177)
Today marks the sixth time in seven days that AA40 ORD-BCN has been delayed by at least an hour leaving ORD. Scheduled departure is 10pm CDT. Here's when the flight left the past seven days, according to FlightAware:

5/28: 2:45am (4.75h late)
5/29: 9:58pm (on time!)
5/30: 1:58am (4h late)
5/31: 11:45pm (1.75h late)
6/1: 11:03pm (1h late)
6/2: 1:49am (3.75h late)
6/3: 11:23pm (1.5h late)

I would love to have a job that I could keep with a success/approval rate of 14%. This is truly pathetic.

AA40 is late again today 6/4. 90 minutes so far...

​​​

born sleepy Jun 5, 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by david22 (Post 31166858)
Same here :-(

Two of us stayed overnight at ORD at our expense. My partner and I were on a non-stop ORD -> SFO return flight on a paid First ticket. The most frustrating part was that, looking at all of the ORD -> SFO non-stop flights that day (including other carriers), only one got canceled... our AA flight. People who were traveling with us the same weekend made it back. I should have asked for rebooking on United because all of their flights made it (albeit with delays).

We ended up going ORD -> LAX -> SFO the next day... getting us home 28 hours late. AA said we should be grateful we were able to get there the next day and were extra lucky they could re-accommodate us in our paid class of service on the transcon leg... :rolleyes: First time on AA... now I see why people say they are terrible. AA was super unhelpful and surly all around in this situation. [I got that rebooking by spending a huge amount of time on the AA app checking and rechecking over the next 24 hours, not through AA agent support.]

My bestie was booked on WN MDW-SDF which canceled hours beforehand, so he bought a ticket on AA, then THAT flight canceled along with the later one so he gave up and rented a car and drove home. When my flight canceled after hours of waiting first thing I did was fire up the app and book the best option quickly before it went away, which was still that insane ORD-MIA-ATL run. Mileage ticket so no hope of any compensation...

Were we all coming back from IML? 😏

Antarius Jun 5, 2019 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 31167047)

Not to the point of taking notes, but I usually have the fly.faa.gov site up as well as flightaware and EF. This is unquestionably out of the ordinary.

As a passenger, I find it insulting that the responsible parties think we are too stupid to notice.

iahphx Jun 6, 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31175125)
Not to the point of taking notes, but I usually have the fly.faa.gov site up as well as flightaware and EF. This is unquestionably out of the ordinary.

As a passenger, I find it insulting that the responsible parties think we are too stupid to notice.

Thanks. Flightaware has that easy to find "cancel" feature, but I don't know a way to search for all delays on, say, AA's int'l flights.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled

If you look right now, you can see that there's nothing really "wrong" with AA's operation -- other than when these waves of int'l cancellations/delays pop up on certain random days. AA's typically been cancelling 1 percent of their flights (not great, but not terrible using historical metrics). Ironically, it's WN -- which recently settled with their mechanics -- that seems to have a real operational problem, as they're consistently cancelling 2, 3 or 4% of their flights. Not sure if they're trying to run their operation harder to compensate for their lost MAXes.

There don't seem to be any aviation reporters covering this AA mechanics situation, so we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I'm still surprised we've heard nothing further about the court filing. Courts are usually very quick to issue injunctions to order airline workers to do what they're legally required to do! In the meantime, if you're a pax on an AA int'l flight, you just have to hope it's not a slowdown evening.

iahphx Jun 6, 2019 11:06 am

Here's a story about the official on-time/cancel status across the industry for May. It mirrors what I'm seeing these days, except that AA's cancel rate has improved a bit (but is still higher than UA's). I don't really see much difference in general ontime performance by the majors, except compared to DL.

Of course, this doesn't capture the weirdness of AA's int'l flights.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...hoo&yptr=yahoo

dkc192 Jun 6, 2019 9:14 pm

I've been absent for a while...

6/4 AA136 LAX-LHR rolling delay 7h and subsequently cancelled due to MX (posted elsewhere)
[6/5 AA51 LHR-DFW cancelled due to above MX]

6/5 AA193 LAX-HKG delayed 17h due to insufficient fuel loaded and subsequent crew timeout
[6/6 AA126 HKG-DFW delayed 16.5h due to above shenanigans]
6/5 AA86 ORD-LHR delayed 4h due to MX
6/5 AA100 JFK-LHR delayed 4h due to MX
6/5 AA240 DFW-FCO returned to gate and subsequently delayed 3h due to MX

6/6 AA110 ORD-FCO delayed 1.5h due to MX
6/6 AA150 ORD-CDG delayed 1h due to MX
6/6 AA160 ORD-ATH delayed 4h due to MX
6/6 AA86 ORD-LHR delayed 3h due to MX
6/6 AA208 ORD-DUB delayed 1.5h and counting due to MX
6/6 AA995 MIA-GRU delayed 1.5h and counting due to MX
6/6 AA963 DFW-GRU delayed 2.5h due to MX
6/6 AA945 DFW-SCL delayed 2.5h and counting due to MX
6/6 AA714 PHL-VCE delayed 1h due to crew availability
6/6 AA736 PHL-LHR returned to gate and delayed 3.75h due to MX
6/6 AA80 DFW-LHR delayed 1.5h and counting due to MX
6/6 AA220 DFW-AMS diverted to JFK, subsequently delayed 2h due to MX
6/6 AA680 PHL-SFO cancelled due to MX

iahphx Jun 7, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks for the update, DKC. More "evidence" that there's some sort of "attack" by the mechanics on AA's int'l flying. Like when I go to flightaware and look at today, the overall ops numbers look good. Only 33 systemwide AA cancellations so far (that rounds to zero percent) and only 4% delays. Yet, I'll bet, we'll see plenty of weirdness tonight with the int'l departures.