FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2019 (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1962157-flight-xx-cancellation-delay-diversion-etc-date-2019-consolidated.html)

lbbzman Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Today is 14JUN19

17JUN19 (3 days in the future) AA2019 DFW-CLE canceled
17JUN19 (3 days in the future) AA665 DFW-CLT canceled

Unable to see cancelation reason on EF this far out.

Cheers,
LBBZman

iahphx Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius (Post 31204014)
TRO granted by the courts.

Yup. Obviously not a surprise. This should stop the mechanic slowdown, as a violation of the restraining order would likely subject them to massive monetary damages.

What I don't really understand is why AA seems to have initially sought some sort of "lesser" injunction. I have some experience with labor relations, and I've never heard of such a thing. Typically, you file for a TRO, and you almost always get it immediately. What was the value of waiting? On the other hand, I'm amazed at the unions' actions. They actually increased their slowdown activities after the company filed. If I were the judge, I'd slap them with a big fine just for being jerks.

One thing I wonder about is whether the unions could be sued by AA's pax for the delays -- many of which were substantial. Like I have family members who lost half a day of their European vacation to this nonsense. Seems to me they'd have an actionable claim as part of a class action. No? I've never heard of such a suit, but it sounds logical. Obviously, the company suffered damages as a result of this illegal activity, but so did AA's customers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.2e48633c50bd

tismfu Jun 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by lbbzman (Post 31204037)
Today is 14JUN19

17JUN19 (3 days in the future) AA2019 DFW-CLE canceled
17JUN19 (3 days in the future) AA665 DFW-CLT canceled

Unable to see cancelation reason on EF this far out.

Cheers,
LBBZman

Weird. Friend just had his Sunday 16JUN19 DFWLAX (AA2318) canceled. EF says: “CXLD DUE TO PREVIOUS OPERATIONAL”.

A321.

AANYC1981 Jun 14, 2019 7:35 pm

A saw that AA is proactively cancelling more flights through Monday.....check your itineraries!

shaddie Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Had a weird one yesterday. DCA-DFW.
Fuel pump issue. Looked for open plane but obviously no luck. Operations decided to fly plane to BNA and refuel. The 2.5 hrs late wouldn’t have been so terrible except for the teenage girls being teenagers next to me.
Get these kids off my lawn. 👀

boerne Jun 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Wx in DFW

Many 2 hour late departures AUS to DFW. trying to make the 2030 flight to KEF. Bad Wx left DFW heading to AUS. Another great reason to never check luggage.

Mike Gilbert Jun 16, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 31204056)

One thing I wonder about is whether the unions could be sued by AA's pax for the delays -- many of which were substantial. Like I have family members who lost half a day of their European vacation to this nonsense. Seems to me they'd have an actionable claim as part of a class action. No? I've never heard of such a suit, but it sounds logical. Obviously, the company suffered damages as a result of this illegal activity, but so did AA's customers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.2e48633c50bd

Interested in this as well, we lost nearly 2 days of our Italy trip due to their actions.

atword Jun 17, 2019 9:28 am

AA81 LHR-DFW diverted to Memphis yesterday. Plane is still on the ground at MEM. After sitting 4+ hours they finally went to a gate in the closed B concourse. What happened?

ShortDog Jun 17, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by atword (Post 31211276)
AA81 LHR-DFW diverted to Memphis yesterday. Plane is still on the ground at MEM. After sitting 4+ hours they finally went to a gate in the closed B concourse. What happened?

Bad weather at DFW.

iahphx Jun 17, 2019 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Mike Gilbert (Post 31209382)

Interested in this as well, we lost nearly 2 days of our Italy trip due to their actions.

I do wonder if there are any lawyers reading this who have an opinion. I have a feeling it's somehow "preempted" by federal labor law, but that's a wild guess. It definitely sucks to get your int'l flight cancelled or delayed due to a labor action.

The good news is that these delays should now end due to the court ruling. We just need the weather to get better, especially at DFW. You can't sue Mother Nature. :)

https://atd142.org/wp-content/upload...-6-17-2019.pdf

atword Jun 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ShortDog (Post 31211764)
Bad weather at DFW.

Thanks, I just found info on local news. It looks like a bad experience all around:

Hundreds of travelers say they were stuck at Memphis airport for hours

An international flight to Dallas was diverted to Memphis when the issues began.

Passengers said they became stuck at the airport at 5 p.m. Sunday because when they arrived, there was no one in customs to screen them so they could leave the airport.

An airport spokesman said employees had to be called in to screen the travelers.
This reminds me of some of the Atlantic diversions to Goose Bay, except warmer!

Nomorepretzels Jun 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Yesterdays (Sunday June 16th) memorable AA1235 IAH - MIA flight. Scheduled arrival 9:53 PM. Actual arrival 5:02 AM Monday the 17th. The coffee was lousy too!

I was long overdue for this to happen.

iahphx Jun 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels (Post 31212196)
Yesterdays (Sunday June 16th) memorable AA1235 IAH - MIA flight. Scheduled arrival 9:53 PM. Actual arrival 5:02 AM Monday the 17th. The coffee was lousy too!

I was long overdue for this to happen.

Was that weather? I heard that lots of folks were stuck at IAH this weekend.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...e-55d588198a83

smuDC-10 Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Flight Cancelled 4 Days Out

Hi. Not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but I had something strange happen to me today.

I’m due to fly on AA 369 this Friday (4/21) from DFW to LAX. It was scheduled to be an A321 that left at 4:30 pm. I received a notice today (4/17) that the flight was cancelled and I had been rebooked. I called the EXP line and the lady told me it was cancelled for maintenance and that things like this happen all the time. I’ve been an EXP for 10+ years and I don’t recall a flight being cancelled this far out for maintenance. Luckily, they rebooked me on 2460 that leaves at 3:30 so not too big of an inconvenience for me.

Is the cancellation due to AA’s maintenance debacle with their unions and contract renewals? Has anyone else had this happen to them recently?

ComplexAnalysis Jun 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by smuDC-10 (Post 31213091)
Hi. Not sure if this is the correct thread to post in but I had something strange happen to me today.

I’m due to fly on AA 369 this Friday (4/21) from DFW to LAX. It was scheduled to be an A321 that left at 4:30 pm. I received a notice today (4/17) that the flight was cancelled and I had been rebooked. I called the EXP line and the lady told me it was cancelled for maintenance and that things like this happen all the time. I’ve been an EXP for 10+ years and I don’t recall a flight being cancelled this far out for maintenance. Luckily, they rebooked me on 2460 that leaves at 3:30 so not too big of an inconvenience for me.

Is the cancellation due to AA’s maintenance debacle with their unions and contract renewals? Has anyone else had this happen to them recently?

I’ve had 4 flights in the past month cancelled 24-48 hours out. None of these appeared to be due weather, but don’t have a clear answer on why the cancellations occurred.