Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovetotravel
Even as of yesterday, I tried to book LAX-HNL award tickets on AA using BA Avios and the website is charging USA Departure Tax. I am not leaving USA.

How does one deal with it, would calling to book the ticket not incur this charge?
Try posting on the BA (Avios) board. This is the AA (AAdvantage) board, and you're stating that you're redeeming Avios.

Plus, strike two, this is a thread about BA fuel surcharges, not USA Departure tax.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
There is nothing to explain, as none of these are related to awards, which are still in the tariff as "free".
From the tariff:

This tariff does not establish the rules, regulations, conditions and limitations of the AAdvantage program, or any right to acquire benefits under the program. Further, a complete recitation of the rules of the AAdvantage program in not contained herein. American Airlines provides direct notice to AAdvantage members of the rules, regulations, conditions and limitations of the AAdvantage program in materials sent to members, including the AAdvantage Program brochure, the AAdvantage Newsletter, the AAdvantage Claim Form and the AAdvantage Award Certificate. These rules, regulations, conditions and limitations, include, without limitation, those relating to the accumulation of AAdvantage mileage, the use and claiming of AAdvantage awards, the time and duration of blackout periods, the expiration of AAdvantage miles and the sale and transfer of AAdvantage awards or mileage. Information about the AAdvantage program, including copies of AAdvantage program materials may also be obtained by writing to the AAdvantage Department at American Airlines, Inc., P.O. Box 619616, M.D. 1396, DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616.

American Airlines has reserved the right to change the AAdvantage Program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers at any time. American Airlines has reserved the right to end the AAdvantage program with six (6) months notice.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Which airline is calling a fuel surcharge a "tax"? None that I'm aware of.
Putting YQ on the taxes and fees line (fees are 3rd party fees like landing fees) is indeed dishonestly disguising it as a tax. An honest airline would not put anything that goes back to the airline itself on that line.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:19 am
Suspended

You've made this claim before, only for it to be disproved. YQ is not on the "tax" line. It is on the line for fees, charges, taxes, surcharges, duties, etc.
Old May 22, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M

If you order something from a company that has only an Internet presence (no storefront), there is no option to pick-up the item personally. Yet, you get charged shipping and/or handling. Would you like to outlaw that practice?
A few reasons.

Many such websites offer free shipping for purchases of a certain dollar amount or higher. So people are used to expect such charges.

When buying from these websites you are paying for the main product, unlike with award tickets where you are supposed to get main item free. The general/ reasonable expectation is that you award tickets are free. BA itself used to advertise the 100k deal aa two free tickets to Europe. When you price them out there are times it is cheaper to buy a ticket.

The percentage of these extra fees to the cost of the main product. Even for flights beyond Europe the savings on a BA award is about 50%. How many costly products do you know of have extras at such a high percentage? The only one I have come across are weekend car rentals, where a $30 car rental will have $15 of fees. But overall car rentals are a small amount so it does apply here.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
You've made this claim before, only for it to be disproved. YQ is not on the "tax" line. It is on the line for fees, charges, taxes, surcharges, duties, etc.
my two cents is that this is still deception where IMHO the airline is trying to "hide" or "mislead" the consumer into thinking its a gov't imposed fee, tax, duty, or charge

Technically, I"m sure the lawyers have crossed the t's and dotted all the i's but I get the funny feeling that these airline imposed fees or surcharges are being buried intentionally amongst gov't imposed fees, surcharges, duties and taxes.

the transparency is quite murky at best

now going back to the restaurant analogy of imposing a surcharge for groups of "X" or more. First, I can get an award ticket for one, two or ten so that analogy is no longer relevant where as you must have X to be put on the surcharge notice.

Second, I can still opt out of that surcharge if the service is lousy. That has happened before. There was an 18% surcharge for our group that qualified for a surcharge at a Cheesecake Factory, the service was horrendous. Since I was responsible for the bill, I put down 6% with a note that the service was unacceptable. The waiter came by to pick up the tab, had a horrified look on his face, moments later the manager came by to ask what was wrong and I said read the note by gratuity. He then asked me to explain and I just said, I had asked for you twice during the meal and this is the first time that you have shown up, that in itself is enough of a reason.

That was the end of that, 6% and we left.
Old May 22, 2012, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
my two cents is that this is still deception where IMHO the airline is trying to "hide" or "mislead" the consumer into thinking its a gov't imposed fee, tax, duty, or charge
Which airline is doing this and where?
Old May 22, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Which airline is doing this and where?
Certainly not BA. It's very easy to see the taxes and fees on a ticket when you price it up on BA.com. You just click the 'i' button next to the amount and a window opens with a breakdown.

E.g. a one way LHR-JFK generates:

Charges applied to your flight
There are certain taxes, fees and charges that are applied to your booking by British Airways, airport operators, governments or other authorities. Here you will find a full breakdown and explanation of the taxes, fees and surcharges applied to your booking.

Government, authority and airport charges Per adult
Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom. GBP34.49
Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom. GBP65.00
Immigration User Fee - USA. GBP4.40
Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) - USA. GBP3.20
Transportation Tax(Arrival) - USA. GBP10.60
Customs User Fee - USA. GBP3.50
Total government, authority and airport charges* GBP121.19
More information
British Airways fees and surcharges Per adult
Fuel Surcharge**. GBP106.50
Total British Airways fees and surcharges GBP106.50
More information
Total taxes, fees and surcharges per person GBP227.69
*Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets.

**In line with the fare rules, a refund of fuel surcharge can be made on fully flexible tickets only with unused flights in your itinerary.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the tariff:
Ever wonder why tey are in the tariff in the first place?????
Old May 22, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have yet to have a phone rep--EXP, no less--tell me that the amount they're charging me for BA awards is anything else but taxes. And until a few weeks ago phone reps was the only way to book BA awards.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't much care where the YQ is shown or how obvious or not it is. The simple fact that BA want $602 in cash when booking a 40k award (LHR-LAX-LHR) is ridiculous and nothing short of daylight robbery. That's the issue.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
I have yet to have a phone rep--EXP, no less--tell me that the amount they're charging me for BA awards is anything else but taxes.
Perhaps, but you knew different. So, how were you mislead? I've booked BA awards using AA miles and have never had an agent tell me that the fuel surcharge was a tax.

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
I don't much care where the YQ is shown or how obvious or not it is. The simple fact that BA want $602 in cash when booking a 40k award (LHR-LAX-LHR) is ridiculous and nothing short of daylight robbery.
It's not robbery if you agree to pay it.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
A few reasons.

Many such websites offer free shipping for purchases of a certain dollar amount or higher. So people are used to expect such charges.

When buying from these websites you are paying for the main product, unlike with award tickets where you are supposed to get main item free. The general/ reasonable expectation is that you award tickets are free. BA itself used to advertise the 100k deal aa two free tickets to Europe. When you price them out there are times it is cheaper to buy a ticket.

The percentage of these extra fees to the cost of the main product. Even for flights beyond Europe the savings on a BA award is about 50%. How many costly products do you know of have extras at such a high percentage? The only one I have come across are weekend car rentals, where a $30 car rental will have $15 of fees. But overall car rentals are a small amount so it does apply here.
Any comment Austin?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's not robbery if you agree to pay it.
I was using a turn of phrase. But, if you want me to put it another way, ok. It's a disgraceful way to run an award program and BA should be forced to advertise, in a VERY BIG font, that redemptions on their airline are anything but free.

The fact is that there are thousands of leisure travellers out there who have no idea that, when it comes to redeeming their miles on BA, they're going to be asked to pay outrageous fees. People should be made aware of this before they even join the loyalty program so they know that what their saving up for isn't a free ticket at all (because that's what they think it is). That way they can make an informed decision when choosing which program to collect miles for without being expected to read the fine print.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I was using a turn of phrase. But, if you want me to put it another way, ok. It's a disgraceful way to run an award program and BA should be forced to advertise, in a VERY BIG font, that redemptions on their airline are anything but free.
Forced by whom? They're a UK company, and this is well known in the UK, which is why UK flyers don't use miles to redeem for free tickets - instead the use miles to upgrade purchased tickets. It's well understood, and it's the business model in their geo. Perhaps you mean Americans, who are used to a different model for miles redemption? Welcome to international business.

The fact is that there are thousands of leisure travellers out there who have no idea that, when it comes to redeeming their miles on BA, they're going to be asked to pay outrageous fees.
And for those folks who aren't members of BA's program this is BA's problem exactly why?

People should be made aware of this before they even join the loyalty program so they know that what their saving up for isn't a free ticket at all (because that's what they think it is). That way they can make an informed decision when choosing which program to collect miles for without being expected to read the fine print.
Only in the US. In the UK and Europe, people don't expect free flights. And I'm still not sure why you think people that join AA's program, then have AA add BA as a redemption partner, should require that BA do something special. It's up to the buyer - caveat emptor. You don't want to pay BA YQ? Don't redeem on BA. What you want on AA isn't available? Make a decision - redeem on BA with YQ, or do your homework and search other OW partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.