Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm rather confused on BA fuel surcharges. If I book a flight JFK-LHR-FRA, where the JFK-LHR segment is on AA, but the LHR-FRA segment is on BA, am I going to have to pay any BA fuel surcharges, or do I get away without them?

I think I should be safe on the JFK-LHR segment since it's on AA, and I think the LHR-FRA segment should only be 18.50Ł, but I'm not positive.

Please see the active thread here.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 22, 2019 at 9:35 am Reason: Add moderator note
Old May 18, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Sounds like you answered your own question.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:41 am

Yes, you avoid the BA Bahksheesh for the long haul flight by flying AA, but get stiffed for the BA Bahsheesh for the shorter flight. Fortunately it is a lower amount.

If your flight at LHR is a connection (as opposed to a stopover), you should also be able to avoid the APD scam.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Regulation

Do you think there's any chance an industry regulator will review these practices as profiteering?

Does any other operator come close with similar practices?
Old May 19, 2012, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Flying Bat
Do you think there's any chance an industry regulator will review these practices as profiteering?

I've read on another thread in this forum that Brazil does not allow for fuel surcharges. So there's common sense in Brazil.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
If your're redeming Avios with BAEC then flying AA metal doesn't avoid the fuel surcharge.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:07 am

Many, many non-US carriers charge fuel surcharges on award redemptions for their own frequent flier programs, although the AA/BA relationship is the only one I know of where surcharges are passed on to a US frequent flier program.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:12 pm

Understanding airline fuel surcharges is about like understanding Jesse James. They both involve banditry.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Bandits

Originally Posted by Carolinian
Understanding airline fuel surcharges is about like understanding Jesse James. They both involve banditry.
Interesting analogy. I suppose one of them was more blazen than the other.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn

Many, many non-US carriers charge fuel surcharges on award redemptions for their own frequent flier programs, although the AA/BA relationship is the only one I know of where surcharges are passed on to a US frequent flier program.
IIRC, DL also imposes fuel surcharges on award itineraries originating in the UK
Old May 20, 2012, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
IIRC, DL also imposes fuel surcharges on award itineraries originating in the UK
And from other European locales too.

The BA fees are high but there for all to see. If you don't like them, take your travel and credit card business elsewhere. Many of us already have done so.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but it has to bubble to the top of their priorities. If you care about this issue, you should start with a short note to http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/CP_AirlineService.htm. Under 49 U.S.C. 41712 they have to ensure that airlines don't engage in "Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices".
Originally Posted by Globehopper
I've read on another thread in this forum that Brazil does not allow for fuel surcharges. So there's common sense in Brazil.
This is indeed the case.
I cannot think of any other industry where a practice like this is allowed to happen.

Airlines are not subject to State laws outlawing, as Carolinian called it, banditry, so the DOT is the only entity that can step in.

Last edited by hillrider; May 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reason: Added DOT law
Old May 20, 2012, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
The BA fees are high but there for all to see.
I don't think that's the case. It takes years to accumulate miles, and BA does not tell you will be in the future, when you have accumulated the required amount for your trip. Hint: only a few years ago the fees "for all to see" used to be zero.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Globehopper
If your flight at LHR is a connection (as opposed to a stopover), you should also be able to avoid the APD scam.
By scam you mean government imposed tax, right?
Old May 21, 2012, 12:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
I cannot think of any other industry where a practice like this is allowed to happen.
How do you explain "shipping and handling" charges? "Restocking" charges? "Foreign currency transaction" fees? Or any of the other fees and extras that consumers are required to pay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.