Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jordyn
Many, many non-US carriers charge fuel surcharges on award redemptions for their own frequent flier programs, although the AA/BA relationship is the only one I know of where surcharges are passed on to a US frequent flier program.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
IIRC, DL also imposes fuel surcharges on award itineraries originating in the UK
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
And from other European locales too.
DL systematically collects YQ, regardless of metal, for all award tickets originating in Europe. They also collect YQ for any award ticket originating in the Middle East that includes a flight on AF/KL (and probably AZ). They also collect YQ for any US-originating flights on VA (but apparently not Australian origins, and someone reported even starting in YYZ can dump the award YQ), all MH flights, all KQ flights, and most Asian SkyTeam members outside of KE. However, these YQ charges generally pale in comparison to BA's, and other than the EU origin bit, you can't find these flights online anyway. (VA is now $800 in taxes/fees for a US-Oz r/t, which is in the BA league, but the Asian carriers aren't bad and out of many EU countries, KE is a great way to beat the YQ since they don't publish fares with separated YQ.)
Old May 21, 2012, 1:31 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Globehopper
So there's common sense in Brazil.
That must be why since the launch of Scheduled Air Travel in Brazil every Brazilian Long Haul Airline has failed to make enough money to survive. Any idiot can run a business at a loss.

Last edited by UncleDude; May 21, 2012 at 1:37 am
Old May 21, 2012, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
Many, many non-US carriers charge fuel surcharges on award redemptions for their own frequent flier programs, although the AA/BA relationship is the only one I know of where surcharges are passed on to a US frequent flier program.
Same scenario with AS/BA.
Old May 21, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude
That must be why since the launch of Scheduled Air Travel in Brazil every Brazilian Long Haul Airline has failed to make enough money to survive. Any idiot can run a business at a loss.
NO, it is simply a matter of being honest and including fuel in the fare where it should be. Fuel is not an optional extra, but a basic cost of the service being sold. Planes do not fly without it. Seperating it and calling it a ''tax'' is nothing but F-R-A-U-D! and airlines should be prohibited by law from doing it. Hooray for Brazil!
Old May 21, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
How do you explain "shipping and handling" charges? "Restocking" charges? "Foreign currency transaction" fees? Or any of the other fees and extras that consumers are required to pay?
Those are all for optional extras. Fuel is NOT an optional extra. It is an essential to the product offered. A better analogy would be like going into a bar, ordering a beer, and having a surcharge for the glass, or ordering a pizza and being surcharged for having any crust at all (toppings would be an optional extra, but not the crust which is an essential).
Old May 21, 2012, 6:15 am

Silly statement.

I didn't realize that since the start of commercial air travel service in Brazil--going back decades and prior to the advent of YQ bahksheesh--that all carriers based in Brazil failed due to the lack of a YQ bahksheesh.

Show me proof that the absence of YQ (since what, a few months or a year or two) has a strong correlation to fiscal demise for all Brazilian carriers.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Fuel is NOT an optional extra. It is an essential to the product offered. A better analogy would be like going into a bar, ordering a beer, and having a surcharge for the glass, or ordering a pizza and being surcharged for having any crust at all
Hang on there cowboy... If you and seven friends go to a chain restaurant in the US and enjoy dinner, you'll likely see that a service charge is included in your bill at the end. It's not like you could have gotten up and served yoursef--it's a restaurant, you can't opt not to get service from the staff. This is no different, really: the price is disclosed in advance in both cases, and you have the choice not to do business with a particular firm if you don't like it.

Come to think of it, I've actually been hit with a service charge at a restaurant when I was not informed in advance... On the other hand I've never gotten a bill from BA for fuel surcharge after I flew an award. @:-) In neither case did I get indignant and act like I was being defrauded, despite the fact that the restaurant may have actually been dishonest.

I don't like fuel surcharges, but I do think it's awfully narrow minded to call it fraud. But if you like the Brazilian model, your best bet is to contact your local legislators and ask for the same in your country. Not many legislators read FT, so you may find that has more efficacy.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Goalposts

Originally Posted by hillrider
I don't think that's the case. It takes years to accumulate miles, and BA does not tell you will be in the future, when you have accumulated the required amount for your trip. Hint: only a few years ago the fees "for all to see" used to be zero.
I tend to agree with Mr H Rider. Some might refer to it as the game of changing goal posts. Sadly those goal posts never seem to change in favour of the consumer.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
I don't think that's the most logical way to look at it. The bigger picture concerns the declining state of the ( UK ) economy which might be measured against the formidable rise of others ( BRICS ).

Some economists express concern that developed nations such as the UK are deeply affected by anti competitive practices and pricing. Where the nation as a whole is damaged by core and necessary services, whether transportation, communications, or industrial utilities, it does call into question those who are benefiting from disreputable practices where the greater economic good is jeopardised.

An idiot can run a business at a loss? Perhaps this is an area where others might feel that the general public are taken for idiots, and the poorer for it to boot.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Yes the profitability of all airlines in the world depends on YQ collected on a handfull of seats per plane that per their stats would have gone empty. Take this puny YQ and we will see all airlines collapse and the start of another recession.

YQ started in this past decade, what reason do you have for the losses incurred before that?
Old May 21, 2012, 2:39 pm
Suspended

NO, it is simply a matter of being honest and including fuel in the fare where it should be. Fuel is not an optional extra, but a basic cost of the service being sold. Planes do not fly without it. Seperating it and calling it a ''tax'' is nothing but F-R-A-U-D! and airlines should be prohibited by law from doing it.
Which airline is calling a fuel surcharge a "tax"? None that I'm aware of.

How do you explain "shipping and handling" charges?
Those are all for optional extras.
If you order something from a company that has only an Internet presence (no storefront), there is no option to pick-up the item personally. Yet, you get charged shipping and/or handling. Would you like to outlaw that practice?
Old May 21, 2012, 3:44 pm

Which airline is calling a fuel surcharge a "tax"? None that I'm aware of.
American's phone agents routinely refer to BA's fuel surcharge as a tax.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you explain "shipping and handling" charges? "Restocking" charges? "Foreign currency transaction" fees? Or any of the other fees and extras that consumers are required to pay?
There is nothing to explain, as none of these are related to awards, which are still in the tariff as "free".
Old May 21, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of the hugely profitable US market, right?
From 2001-2010, U.S. airlines had a cumulative net loss of approximately $54 billion.
source: http://www.airlines.org/Pages/The-Pr...-Airlines.aspx
Old May 21, 2012, 5:15 pm

Even as of yesterday, I tried to book LAX-HNL award tickets on AA using BA Avios and the website is charging USA Departure Tax. I am not leaving USA.

How does one deal with it, would calling to book the ticket not incur this charge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.