Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
sk3 I just called AA and they check Tahiti Nui but nothing avail from LAX.

Of course I would like to use up the miles rather than pay they hefty taxes. I don't want to book the 2 anytime tix and then chance finding a rate sale before Xmas for the other 2 , it might not come through.

I will book the tickets on hold tomorrow and pay the "extortion"..good word for it! I will then be on the look out for all AA flight or another partner. Will subscribe to expert flyer too.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:40 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by shar161
sk3 I just called AA and they check Tahiti Nui but nothing avail from LAX.

Of course I would like to use up the miles rather than pay they hefty taxes. I don't want to book the 2 anytime tix and then chance finding a rate sale before Xmas for the other 2 , it might not come through.

I will book the tickets on hold tomorrow and pay the "extortion"..good word for it! I will then be on the look out for all AA flight or another partner. Will subscribe to expert flyer too.
Understandable! (But regarding the other way - what I had meant was that you'd first buy the 2 tix, and that you'd hopefully get a good sale price (I'm currently seeing fares ~$1,300), and THEN you'd book the AAnytimes to match your revenue tickets - since there's no reason to get the AAnytimes now). Good luck with it all. But more importantly, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas holiday in Paris!!! That's going to be so great and should hopefully take the sting out of the whole flight situation.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by shar161
sk3 thanks for the info. I called AA and talked to 2 different people at the awards desk initially, none of them suggested this. Now I know what to ask for. I just checked various cities and online it always puts you on BA.
aa.com only lets you book AA, HA, AS, and BA afaik.
So, you will not see the other partner availability.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
aa.com only lets you book AA, HA, AS, and BA afaik.
Plus QF.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by ayton
Start rant {
I know we've spoken about the absurd "fees" BA imposes on award tickets made through AA, but I have officially found a new level:

BA 710 LHR-ZRH on August 8th.

AA Miles award: 20,000 miles + $111.50

Purchase on BA.com: 67 GBP or $103.68.

So it is cheaper to BUY the ticket than to get it for free??

}End rant.

Now to the question:
I found another flight leaving out of LCY, but it's still $89 worth of fees, might as well pay the extra $20 and receivethe miles and segments.
Are there other airports with award options that I'm not thinking of? There don't seem to be any OW available flights from LGW or STN.

Thanks all,

-A

Just to be clear, I know there are huge threads on this, and I don't really need assistance. It was just the first time I saw the price tip over to be more than the free ticket in total and wanted to remark on it. We don't need to start up another sticky/search rant.
You're not comparing like for like. The 20,000 + $111 is the Business Class award cost, the GBP67 is the economy class fare. An economy award is 10,000 + $84. Still shocking, but slightly less than the cash price.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Rewards
Award Travel - beaten like a baby seal by BA

So, I haven't booked a trip using Advantage Miles in quite some time. I went to aa.com and spent CONSIDERABLE time finding dates/times to book 2 tickets from SAN - PRG for only 80k miles. SCORE! Felt pretty good about myself all the way up to closing out the transaction. That's when I learned I would have to pay over $1,300 in taxes.... I called the Advantage desk and was told that's the way it is when you fly on British Air metal....

Is there an easy way to find international destinations that American serves on their planes? Also, do all the AA partners (e.g. Japan Air) charge these high taxes when booking through AA??
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, and there are threads discussing the BA surcharges. IB has surcharges that are not nearly as dead as those BA charges, and fortunately there are other airlines one can use (but some not via aa.com): AA, IB, AY, AB etc. that do not charge onerous surcharges. (Maybe that is why BA has more awards seats than some others?)

Thread merged into appropriate thread for the question. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's a rather unique title.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
AA.com clearly discloses that the fees range from "$2.50 to $700 per direction". You could have quite simply called AA and asked them what the fees are.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
That's a rather unique title.
Certainly put a new twist on the term Club World
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:48 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gatemando
Also, do all the AA partners (e.g. Japan Air) charge these high taxes when booking through AA??
To be very clear about this. These are not surcharges/fees/taxes (whatever people feel like calling them) that have anything to do with "booking through AA." These are charged by those carriers, and AA are passing them along. My understanding is that the charges are the same booking BA awards using BA miles, or whatever they happen to be called. It's a function of the partner, and not where it's booked.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
AA.com clearly discloses that the fees range from "$2.50 to $700 per direction". You could have quite simply called AA and asked them what the fees are.
That range is so ridiculously big (a ~300 times difference between the high end and the low end) as to not be useful. By this logic, the award chart could just be blank and say "awards cost between 10,000 and 2.5 million miles per direction". That statement would be technically correct, but I don't think anyone would apply the word "clear" to the situation.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by gatemando
Is there an easy way to find international destinations that American serves on their planes?
I love using Airline Route Mapper for this purpose.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
BA's fuel surcharge on some routes are so high that a cheap economy ticket is often no more than 10 to 25% higher than the "award" ticket. Fuel is essential to running a plane and it cannot called a surcharge. Also fuel prices have now stabilized to between $80 to $95/barrel and the airlines should have by now adjusted to this. Those days of $20 to 35 /bbl are never coming back, nor it should and as with inflation the fuel prices are reasonable when compared to the prices in 70's and 80's.

So it is now longer reasonable to charge any fuel surcharges on award tickets. Otherwise just refrain from calling it award tickets, but instead as a reduced fare tickets with avios as part payment.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:22 am
Suspended

It's just a surcharge when redeeming AA miles. There's no reference to "fuel". Refer to the link in my signature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.