Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help with British Airways / BA and IB / Iberia Surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA or IB)

Please see here for the current thread.
Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways / BA generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges fuel surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.

Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)

Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.

Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

*Note: BA now calls the YQ a "carrier imposed surcharge" after complaints about the so-called original "fuel surcharge" language. As of October 2017 BA seems to be calling the YQ an "
Insurance and Security Surcharge".
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Avoiding YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British (& Iberia - 2012-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
A lot of assuming going on there. We have no idea what the joint venture agreement says.
I'm pretty sure they share fuel surcharge revenue.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm pretty sure they share fuel surcharge revenue.
What makes you pretty sure of that?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Northern Ireland has announced that it will charge the much lower short haul APD on all flights including long haul. I do not know who flies TATL out of Belfast, but this might make that more attractive to airlines.
Actually, they've gone a step farther and abolished APD entirely for longhaul flights from NI. (Right now that is only United's flight to EWR.)

Air Passenger Duty Reduced To Zero On All Long-Haul Flights From Belfast

It's a short drive from Belfast to Dublin airport; they couldn't have continued imposing a stiff tax that didn't apply at another major airport just down the road.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by globeseeker
UA First was fantastic on the way home. Friendly FAs who couldn't do enough for passengers, pretty decent food etc. But main thing is I could use my miles w/o exorbitant fees.
I've flown both Cathay F and UA F across the Pacific. Think I'd rather be on Cathay. I'll be flying with them again next month HKG-LAX and total taxes were $30 on an F award. Take a look at my PHOTOS from last year and compare it against UA.

Tom in London
Old Apr 10, 2013, 6:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
... these fees apply to AAdvantage award tickets as a result of decisions made by the TATL joint venture. AA is part of the venture, and the venture has clearly decided that there's money to be made by imposing huge copays on BA metal, and then driving redemptions to BA metal by putting almost all of the availability there. So it's not a matter of "BA bad, AA good." They are in it together on the TATL routes.
Or perhaps everybody is avoiding BA and thus awards are readily available.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:58 am
Suspended

More likely the case.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Or perhaps everybody is avoiding BA and thus awards are readily available.
Unless using BA/CX/JL miles in which case BA would be better if you're going to get hosed ever way.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by globeseeker
Just found this, which discusses the topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ckets-lhr.html
That link doesn't work for me.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by SFO777
Originally Posted by pinniped
From a mileage redemption perspective, especially to Europe, it's a much better option than AA these days.
While this was true, not necessarily now as LH and LX are close to useless for planning F travel. Plus there are other options than UA. You can buy all the *A miles you want at less than 1.5 cpm with AV LifeMiles. I bought and used 5 LM tickets last week, all without a hitch and for 1/2 the price it would have cost me on UA.com. And I'll take AA's TPAC options/availability/partners over UA any day.

Let's not forget that OP was planning to go to LHR. Using UA isn't going to eliminate the UK taxes. No one should put all their eggs in one basket. They are ways to play the mileage game in each alliance without flying a NA airline.
Are you saying you buy Star Alliance miles for under 1.5 cents each to redeem for award tickets? Would this be a good way to fly, say, Singapore? What are AV Lifemiles?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you saying you buy Star Alliance miles for under 1.5 cents each to redeem for award tickets? Would this be a good way to fly, say, Singapore? What are AV Lifemiles?
Lifemiles is the FFP of Avianca/TACA. It's true that you can now buy up to 150,000 Lifemiles at 1.5 cents each. But only if you were a member of Lifemiles before April 8. That said, this promo has recurred, so it may be worth signing up for Lifemiles now so you can catch it next time (if there's a next time). Here is an explanatory post:

Avianca 100% Purchase Bonus Through April 30
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Tricks to avoid BA taxes?

Folks - trying to book award flights to London this Fall; is there anyway to avoid the exorbitant taxes for BA award flights.

It is impossible to get seats on AA (I need 3 and hence the problem).

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:12 am

I'm looking at the same destination, and noticed while searching for award availability a thing that said "Taxes and Carrier-Imposed Fees: $2.50 to $700.00 USD per person per award". Quite a range of costs! So I assume the high end of the range is if the transatlantic portion is on BA?

Sorry I don't have an answer or tip for you, but I was just getting ready to post a question about what determines if the fees are $2.50 or $700, and noticed your post, which I think concerns the same issue.

Os
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:53 am
Suspended

There are already tons of threads about this issue.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Taxes (and death) cannot be avoided
Carrier-Imposed Fees & charges are a separate matter
As above (too) many threads on this topic (use the search feature)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by canuckshark
It is impossible to get seats on AA (I need 3 and hence the problem).
You don't specify class of service but AA.com shows dozens of dates in coach and business at saver levels between 1 Sept and 1 Dec with availability for three DFW-LHR. One suggestion:

From the advanced award search page

6. What are your carrier preferences?

Check AA, American Eagle, and American Connection

That will avoid the BA-operated flights and their surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.