Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Introduction of PE awards at current J sAAver levels. J and F awards go up.

Gotta stay optimistic.
that’s my bet!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
Sounds quite possible there are multiple changes afoot, if PE awards are happening by EOM and OP was told about some change in March.

The introduction of PE awards has me concerned that the opportunity will be seized to increase J prices simultaneously. You know, to “remain competitive” and provide differentiation between the products.

I’m still waiting for the fare-based redemption shoe to drop, but I always figured it’d be Delta first.
No actual reason to assume any of that.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Unlimited Coke Zeros.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:38 am

We have info from jackonferry and JonNYC. Why is there so much speculation about everything else? That’s all it is.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Speaking only for myself (but many others, I suspect) - I have no issues with the charts, really - it's the availability that kills me.
Speaking only for myself (but many others, I suspect) - I have no issues with the segment availability - it's combining available segments into an available trip that kills me.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:56 am

I’m sure the agent was just using a very healthy dose of sarcasm. You’ll really appreciate the ability of being able to use the SWUs to book into the new award category of PE and enjoy the opportunity of using a second SWU to get into J from Y which effectively increases award availablity in J.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
I’d guess :

- SWU to business can book into I class with co-pay;
- business award to I class with co-pay
- first award to A class with co-pay
- maybe they’ll finally introduce officially CK to public with published qualification requirements
- Rest of oneworld carriers award bookable online

.... I’ve other ridiculous ideas but rather not post ;-) ...
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
We have info from jackonferry and JonNYC. Why is there so much speculation about everything else? That’s all it is.
Umm... because this is FT and probably about +90% of content in these forums is nothing but pure speculation?

Regards
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hope they allow redeeming PE on partners at reasonable rates after the change.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHSEN
I’d guess :

- SWU to business can book into I class with co-pay;
- business award to I class with co-pay
- first award to A class with co-pay
- maybe they’ll finally introduce officially CK to public with published qualification requirements
- Rest of oneworld carriers award bookable online

.... I’ve other ridiculous ideas but rather not post ;-) ...
To add to this dream list-
Ability to book a R/T ticket with one direction using awards and the other paid in cash. That would be a game changer for me, at least
ijgordon and sushanna1 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cova
How about eliminating capacity controls on awards - ala WN!
Before making suggestions that AA emulate another airline, please learn how that airline actually works.

WN does have capacity control on awards, it's just that they're the same as the capacity controls on the lowest paid fares. The moment the lowest paid fares sell out, awards at WN jump to a much higher level.

If AA were to do that, what you'd see is awards at the current level only book Basic Economy, and once Basic Economy sells out, they jump way up in price. Is that what you really want??? :confused;

Remember, WN is a single-cabin open-seating airline, so any "copying" of a WN policy by AA would undoubtedly be greatly modified by AA to fit AA's multi-class system.

So please be careful what wish for, because a totally distorted form of it may come true (since what you wish for cannot come true in the form you wish it without AA becoming a single-cabin open-seating airline).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is nobody yet bracing for a change in the upgrade award chart (incl SWUs) that truly limits upgrades to 1-cabin? So no more Y-to-J. I suppose that’s not in the context of “changes you’ll like” per the OP, but it’s inevitable, no?
That said, if perhaps they concurrently allow complimentary/ sticker upgrades from Y to PE for elites, in-line with the domestic upgrade program, maybe that’s a reasonable enough offset. And frankly, given PE pricing hasn’t been that much terribly higher than Y, requiring PE to upgrade to J isn’t really the end of the world.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
WN does have capacity control on awards, it's just that they're the same as the capacity controls on the lowest paid fares. The moment the lowest paid fares sell out, awards at WN jump to a much higher level.
That's not the only problem. In addition to capacity controls, revenue fare rules on WN also apply to award travel. For example, looking at HOU-LAX just now, I see that that the lowest one-way fare is $70, but it's only available if you book at least 7 days in advance. For close-in bookings, the fare jumps to $592 (full fare) because of the fare rules, regardless of whether or not the lower-fare buckets "sold out." That's more or less a 700% surcharge for bookings less than a week out, and because of how Rapid Rewards is structured, that applies equally to award redemptions. As has already been said: be careful what you wish for.
JDiver, JonNYC, sdsearch and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Is nobody yet bracing for a change in the upgrade award chart (incl SWUs) that truly limits upgrades to 1-cabin? So no more Y-to-J.
Like the reported "training" that began 9 months ago?
♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:11 pm

New fare class: D-MR.
If AA suspects you are on a paid Business mileage run, earning will be:
EQM: estimated distance from your house to your departing airport
EQD: average cost of a gallon of milk between your city pairs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.