Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

♦️RUMOR♦️: SWU “Next Service Class” Upgrade to go to Y -> W/PE -> J -> F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

It appears the BA et al upgrade path may be coming to AA, at least to SWU. This horrendous devaluation of SWU has been discussed at length here since the debut of longhaul Premium Economy class, and it appears once all widebodied are refitted we could possibly see this limitation (Main Cabin to Premium Economy, Premium Economy to Business, instead of Main Cabin to Business, and assumedly Business to First) applied to SWU (if not a new miles and copay chart as well).

Today, member shadymg posted here:

Basically what she said, off the record, was that technically they have started training their CSRs to say that Economy seats when using an SWU can only be upgraded to the "next cabin" which would be Premium Economy.
OTOH, JonNYC doesn’t agree.

Caveat: as indicated by the thread title, this is a rumor without any verification or hard data.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 25, 2018 at 7:46 am Reason: Add caveat and about JonNYC take
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
If this happens, I'm gone. I've been a fairly happy AA EXP despite the devaluations (honestly came over after some of them anyways), but this would really piss me off. Delta has already shown that they won't do this and have said as much on their website. And I live in a UA hub (they have a version of this with their fare requirements) with a big DL and AS presence so I have choices
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Presumably this'll reduce some of the competition for upgrades to J?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by rjw242
Presumably this'll reduce some of the competition for upgrades to J?
That's what I was thinking. While this would not be something I'd welcome, it could play into my benefit. My company only pays business class on flights over 10 hours with a reasonable connection available. This means that from PHX to Europe I have to book Y (even though PHX to LHR on BA is over 10 hours). They do allow for PE to be booked on any international flight so it may increase my chances to use an SWU. I wonder if a lot of people have some sort of similar policy.
hbtr likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
That's what I was thinking. While this would not be something I'd welcome, it could play into my benefit. My company only pays business class on flights over 10 hours with a reasonable connection available. This means that from PHX to Europe I have to book Y (even though PHX to LHR on BA is over 10 hours). They do allow for PE to be booked on any international flight so it may increase my chances to use an SWU.
Same -- and these days I've been booking my personal long-haul travel in PE as well, but usually on non-US carriers. This change might nudge me back to AA for some of those flights if upgrade rates are decent.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Knew this was coming. Only a matter of time.
dw and brewdog11 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:28 pm

Lame... why cut down the number of SWU's from 8 to 4 then a few years later remove the ability to upgrade from Y to J?

Will every AA widebody be retrofitted with PY? I have a feeling people will be burning SWU's on transcon routes making the upgrades even that much harder...
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Lame... why cut down the number of SWU's from 8 to 4 then a few years later remove the ability to upgrade from Y to J?

Will every AA widebody be retrofitted with PY? I have a feeling people will be burning SWU's on transcon routes making the upgrades even that much harder...
Every AA widebody is being refitted with Premium Economy. link
787-9 PE “out of the box”
787-8 none refitted as yet, to be refitted
77W 15 of 20 refitted
772 35 of 47 refitted
A330-200 all refitted
(763 will not be refitted)
(A330-300 returning to lessor, A350 cancelled, more 787s in the works)
LovePrunes and Gino Troian like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2018 at 11:29 pm Reason: Reminded by dkc192 763 not for refit
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:40 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by enviroian
Knew this was coming. Only a matter of time.
I think we all knew this was coming. And undoubtedly it’ll eventually come to DL and UA (though it may be a long time for the latter).
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:41 pm

I'm a bit skeptical that this is somehow "solidifying" right now based on a couple of AAgents saying so, without a clear rollout process/timeline attached. We know there are all kinds of inconsistency in training.

Yes, in the long run, this is very plausible (though very unfortunate). It's a big blow to EXPs, that might be softened a bit if they're granted a lot more SWUs.

​​​​​But for now the devil is in the details. For this to be happening in the immediate term there need to be answers to: When will all AA widebodies have PE (sold as PE)? If they pull the trigger before then, will those without PE still get Y->J, or be ineligible for SWU? What about the international 757s -- will they become the only intercontinental lie-flat seats accessible by SWU from Y (and perhaps become highly sought after as such)?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
Every AA widebody is being refitted with Premium Economy. link
787-9 PE “out of the box”
787-8 none refitted as yet, to be refitted
77W 15 of 20 refitted
772 35 of 47 refitted
A330-200 all refitted
(A330-300 returning to lessor, A350 cancelled, more 787s in the works)
The 763s will not be refitted and the last ones won't be retired until 2021 per the current fleet plan. Even factoring in a potential accelerated retirement schedule, looks like one will still be able to use all four SWUs to move from Y to J on routes like MIA-MVD, JFK-CDG, and JFK-MAD in 2019 and 2020 at the least.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:55 pm

Think there is a chance of this becoming an overnight swap this year? I would have assumed this would be a change announced at some point for 2019.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I think there are ways that they could do this and not really upset everyone ... for example, SWU's become a one cabin upgrade, but it is possible to use two to go from Y to J. And couple this with returning to 8 per year instead of 4.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I think there are ways that they could do this and not really upset everyone ... for example, SWU's become a one cabin upgrade, but it is possible to use two to go from Y to J. And couple this with returning to 8 per year instead of 4.
True, but then again you know who we’re dealing with here.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
But that would maintain the status quo of essentially the same number of SWUs to J. The strategy is to cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.