Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: Changes coming to Aadvantage Program in March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
With mileage earning being revenue based, plus AA pushing selling miles, and CC's buying lots of miles, miles are just another sort of currency. How about eliminating capacity controls on awards - ala WN!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Maybe an extension from those surveys that circulated many months ago??

I am rather surprised at how many longish routes have an mix of both mainline and regional jets with AA. Is there a reason why DFW-PHX needs a CRJ at 6:24 PM to be followed by a 757 at 6:50 PM? That isn't anything to do with AAdvantage though.
I always assumed that was a positioning flight.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Wild speculation...USA-Europe, currently 30K in Y, 60K in J. I think 35K in PE would be reasonable. But I bet it will be 45K or 50K.

Indeed availability is more important for those of us who have the miles. But how many people pay cash for PE anyway? They should make lots of awards available, especially if priced at 45-50K...but probably won't.
35k where economy is 30k is an unrealistic expectation. I would expect it to be around the mid point between economy and business

Plenty of people purchase premium economy on airlines that I am aware of and many are happy with it - gives a lot more pleasant a journey than economy

Avoid night flights and I would happily pay for than rather than pay for business class on many routes
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I guess I don't see why everybody thinks the PE award flights thing is what the agent alluded to. OP didn't say anything about wanting that (at least in the post) right? Personally I don't see that as some big thing that changes the game for us. Mostly everything associated with PE just fills me with dread for the day that SWU/copays just go Y->W instead of Y->J.
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
It would be great to have more available saver awards without married segments. Going to Europe requires flights that look like a checkerboard move.
236Dakota likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by aztimm
oh my goodness, not pit again. I'm not sure if there is anyone else left from the us forum..

Did I hear widebody PIT-OGG service is coming...

Originally Posted by JonNYC

People will be pleased with the PE chart— or slightly less miserable and dyspeptic than usual, anyway.
I give it 7 posts to the first "AA hates its customers"/"AA scr*&#ing its customers again" post
GTITAN and superweak like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CPRich
I give it 7 posts to the first "AA hates its customers"/"AA scr*&#ing its customers again" post
Seven? Seriously? You're are an optimist!

Regards
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
​​​​​​they are going to stop the credit card push on the plane
and return to 8 SWI on qualifying for EXP
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I guess I don't see why everybody thinks the PE award flights thing is what the agent alluded to. OP didn't say anything about wanting that (at least in the post) right? Personally I don't see that as some big thing that changes the game for us. Mostly everything associated with PE just fills me with dread for the day that SWU/copays just go Y->W instead of Y->J.
I must admit, I was thinking about this while making dinner earlier. I have no doubt that AA is getting ready to announce PE awards, that makes sense and honestly, is a little bit of a me too move. Furthermore, over the years I've learned to observe when JonNYC is confident about information and he clearly is on this, so I'm confident he is correct.

But, in the context of this specific OP, who is an EXP, visiting with an agent and expressing the sense of "not feeling the love" and questioning if re-qualifying is worth it, I'm just wondering if PE award charts is something that would will be highly valued by EXPs? Maybe some, I'm sure, but in my experience, most people that consistently qualify for EXP are either a) not using awards because they are on the hamster wheel of re-qualifying or b) they are obsessed with J/F redemptions and generally turn their nose up at anything not in those cabins.

So, yes, I'm confident JonNYC is correct re: PE awards, but I wonder if that is what this agent is alluding too or if there might be something else. Of course, in my experience, if there is something else, JonNYC would probably know about that too before an EXP phone agent!

Regards
GTITAN and chitink like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
"But, in the context of this specific OP, who is an EXP, visiting with an agent and expressing the sense of "not feeling the love" and questioning if re-qualifying is worth it, I'm just wondering if PE award charts is something that would will be highly valued by EXPs? Maybe some, I'm sure, but in my experience, most people that consistently qualify for EXP are either a) not using awards because they are on the hamster wheel of re-qualifying or b) they are obsessed with J/F redemptions and generally turn their nose up at anything not in those cabins."

This is pretty much a summary of the conversation. I was polite, she was interested and kept asking questions. I gave concrete examples -- AA's cost ORD to AMM is nearly triple Royal Jordanian's. An award redemption to PTY was 95,000 points in coach, and RJ's for 3 of 4 segments. There are other examples. I've just gotten frustrated at how expensive (cash, award points, etc) AA has gotten.

Last edited by jackonferry; Jan 18, 2019 at 8:08 pm Reason: included quote I was responding to
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by scubadu
...So, yes, I'm confident JonNYC is correct re: PE awards, but I wonder if that is what this agent is alluding too or if there might be something else.
Absolutely agree- 100%

The question was asked:
anyone have any inkling about pending Aadvantage program changes?
and I answered:
Yes, I do
and linked to info that I know for certain is a coming AAdv change.

But very very true that there's no way for me to know what the agent was referring to and how much of it was this, although with he OP's clarification above, I think I, for one, can see why this agent might have thought this was a -somewhat- pertinent way to change the subject a bit
GTITAN and SightseeMC like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sounds quite possible there are multiple changes afoot, if PE awards are happening by EOM and OP was told about some change in March.

The introduction of PE awards has me concerned that the opportunity will be seized to increase J prices simultaneously. You know, to “remain competitive” and provide differentiation between the products.

I’m still waiting for the fare-based redemption shoe to drop, but I always figured it’d be Delta first.

Either way, a good reminder for me to burn a fat pile of miles this month.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I remember the LIT-NRT calls. I would think that XNA-PVG would be more successful.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I remember the LIT-NRT calls. I would think that XNA-PVG would be more successful.
XNA-PEK. Since PEK is the real cash cow!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Antarius
XNA-PEK. Since PEK is the real cash cow!
Either one works. I've found the major manufacturing centers are more likely to be a larger in and around Shanghai. Although Tianjin is no slouch.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.