Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying IB / Iberia: seat selection, finding & using PNR, etc. issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Iberia:
Seat selection, ticket, PNR, and related issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com
Link to Iberia Early seat booking policy

NOTE: Once you have selected a seat via a deep link from aa.com, you can't change it (via the same process). AA PNRs are comprised of six letters and are not usable on the Iberia website, but Iberia uses a RESIBER (Iberia’s own host system) five digit operating PNR, but it is not usable for booking seats, etc. on the Iberia website. Iberia itself uses an Amadeus six digit PNR to manage your booking. AA marketed flights / codeshares operated by IB will not generate an Amadeus six digit PNR. Even with the Amadeus PNR, you still may encounter difficulties. It is often impossible to select seats on the website if you purchased tickets elsewhere. (Thanks to Andriyko.)

Originally Posted by C46
The 5-digit code is the one of Resiber, the DCS IB is using for CKI/Gate. Reservations are handled via Amadeus.

If you only have the Resiber-code, talking to IB is the only option. But, as phone agents are mostly not very savvy, you should specifically ask them to check Resiber for the Amadeus-code.
It is there, I can confirm that from first-hand experience.

IB agents only need to display the PNR, with rt(5 digits) - there they'll find the Amadeus record locator, in the first line, behind the third "/".
Generally, calling Iberia via the toll free number (in the US +1-800-772-4642) allows you to request seats, but that may depend on Iberia’s seating policies for different fare types and one’s oneworld status.

At least one member states they were able to use the Qantas Manage My Booking https://www.qantas.com/us/en/manage-booking.html to select seats.

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html
EARNING EQ: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ed-issues.html
AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

just wondering, for those with EXP status, can you select any economy class seats for free? Does that include the exit row seats with more leg rooms?

Also, were you able to big for upgrades?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I recently booked a paid flight on AA: PHL-MAD-PRG and PRG-LHR-PHL. AA gave me the record locators for the MAD-PRG portion on IB and the PRG-LHR portion on BA. Of course I am able to see the entire itinerary on AA. I am also able to see the flights on the BA site using their record locator. But I am not able to see the flights on the IB site using their record locator. I called Iberia and asked about it and the agent said that this is normal and I would not be able to see the flights online and she said that I could not check in online either. Of course she could see the flights and actually gave me seat assignments. Is this typical - that you cannot see the IB portion on their website? (Not worried about it - just surprised.)
Originally Posted by JDiver
My recent experience was

LIS-MAD IB A319 with Business Plus operated by IB
MAD-JFK as BA operated by IB A330
JFK-SFO as IB operated by AA A321T

I was able to use BA Manage My Booking, and though it failed a couple of times it finally got me to the IB website. For AA I used AA (iirc called and got the AA PNR).
I thought I'd not be able to see my booking on the Iberia website, and the interface between two airlines with the same owner seems kludgey at best, but I was able to ultimately access it via BA MMB.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
I have a AA ticket with a IB leg (but with AA flight number) Originally I was able to book a seat and even for somereason had to pay. Now I go and look and I no longer have those seats, I can't reaccess the seat chart AND IB is saying i never paid for the seats (credit card shows otherwise) and AA says that IB wont allow them to place us in seats.

Now I also bought and IB ticket with an AA flight and that way is super easy. I choose my IB seats on IB.com and my AA seats on AA.com.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:05 pm

AA kicked pregnant wife and lap infant out of bulkhead

I'd like some help. Please move this if needed.

Bought my economy tickets on AA for my wife (who will be 6 months pregnant) our 20 month old daughter (as a lap infant) and myself. Route is mem-ord-mad-tlv the issue flight is the ord to mad flight. At the time of booking we were confirmed as being placed in bulkhead. A change of planes happened causing our bulkhead seats to no longer be bulkhead and we were moved to a middle row non bulkhead. I called up to be switched back to bulkhead but they are saying that there is no more available and there is nothing they can do.

There is another route that goes mem-dfw-mad that we could be placed in bulkhead but they are refusing to authorize the involuntary change and are wanting to charge us $1400. I've spent hours on the phone explaining that my wife is pregnant and that with a lap infant it will be impossible for us to not disrupt the passengers in front of us and their response was it was my responsibility to control my child. I am platinum and every "manager" I speak to has been nothing but rude to me and acting like I'm trying to get something for free.

Has anyone one had any luck getting a similar situation taken care of? I don't mind paying a fee but $1400 when this is thier fault is not ok.

Please help.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:14 pm

AA Plat is mid tier so you are just another pax with aa imho.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
AA Plat is mid tier so you are just another pax with aa imho.

For sure but status shouldn't matter here. This is human decency. A 6 month pregnant woman and an lap infant should at least get some common courtesy. They have basically said "tough luck" and if there is an issue on the plane with our daughter they we will be held liable. I voiced concern for the passenger in front of us as my daughter prefers mommy rather then me so with a pregnant belly and a 20 month old there will be no way that his/her seat is not being kicked or bumped the entire 9 hour flight. They said I need to control her and restrain her. I told her that there was no way I'm restraining my 20 month old daughter and the agent had the nerve to take that as a threat that I was purposely going to disrupt the flight.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by conklaven
I'd like some help. Please move this if needed.

Bought my economy tickets on AA for my wife (who will be 6 months pregnant) our 20 month old daughter (as a lap infant) and myself. Route is mem-ord-mad-tlv the issue flight is the ord to mad flight. At the time of booking we were confirmed as being placed in bulkhead. A change of planes happened causing our bulkhead seats to no longer be bulkhead and we were moved to a middle row non bulkhead. I called up to be switched back to bulkhead but they are saying that there is no more available and there is nothing they can do.

There is another route that goes mem-dfw-mad that we could be placed in bulkhead but they are refusing to authorize the involuntary change and are wanting to charge us $1400. I've spent hours on the phone explaining that my wife is pregnant and that with a lap infant it will be impossible for us to not disrupt the passengers in front of us and their response was it was my responsibility to control my child. I am platinum and every "manager" I speak to has been nothing but rude to me and acting like I'm trying to get something for free.

Has anyone one had any luck getting a similar situation taken care of? I don't mind paying a fee but $1400 when this is thier fault is not ok.

Please help.
I believe ORD-MAD is the IB route. AA could control some of the seat assignments, but ultimately IB has the control of seat assignments. Wouldn't hurt to give IB a phone call to see what they could do. Some carriers tend to block all the bulkheads just for this specific reason. If you have the copy of the seat assignment, try to send it to Customer Relations. It's possible their answer to your claim is that because it's IB and out of their control, there's nothing they could do either, but it's worth a shot. Also, you can try twitter.

AA's CS has been hit or miss. I am so sorry for you. I hope you get it resolved.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:29 pm

An active 20 month old is not really a "lap infant." Your best option is to buy your daughter a seat.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by bcwmcw
An active 20 month old is not really a "lap infant." Your best option is to buy your daughter a seat.

No disagreement here but this is actually the return trip of a long trip to visit me. (Family medical reasons I love overseas) so wife wasn't pregnant at the time of booking nor did we realize how "active" our daughter would be. Also financially an extra ticket is not an option.

Ive reached out to Iberia phone and Twitter with no luck. They pass it off to AA since it has an AA number. AA says Iberia isn't allowing them to reserve a seat. I've spent weeks trying to resolve this and finally figured there is no option except cchanging the flights to AA metal.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:40 pm

Not much comfort but you could always hope for day of departure help from the following. 1.ticket bag check in, 2. aa club, 3. gate agent. 4. lead cabin attendant (sigh)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
With codeshares, it's the operating carrier seats need to be done with. IB can't change the flights, but can do seats. Get your IB PNR and see if you can pick them online at IB website.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by conklaven
No disagreement here but this is actually the return trip of a long trip to visit me. (Family medical reasons I love overseas) so wife wasn't pregnant at the time of booking nor did we realize how "active" our daughter would be. Also financially an extra ticket is not an option.

Ive reached out to Iberia phone and Twitter with no luck. They pass it off to AA since it has an AA number. AA says Iberia isn't allowing them to reserve a seat. I've spent weeks trying to resolve this and finally figured there is no option except cchanging the flights to AA metal.
The operating airline is Iberia? So this isn't "AA kicked pregnant wife and lap infant out of bulkhead", it's Iberia. And IB controls the seats on their flight. You need to deal with them, in my experience. (And sestbissues with Iberia can get sticky. See Iberia's seat policies here,

and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

AA might let you change to an AA marketed and operated flight, but unless you're on a more flexible fare basis than you indicate here, it's not likely to do so without change fees and charging the difference between the fare class you purchased and the fare classes available now.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Thank you JDiver. FAKE NEWS-Blame AA when it's IB fault. AA has enough issues, FT members don't need to post fake ones. Just trying to keep it real on here.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerguy1975
Thank you JDiver. FAKE NEWS-Blame AA when it's IB fault. AA has enough issues, FT members don't need to post fake ones. Just trying to keep it real on here.
maybe a little true but I've asked american to help out since they are the ones I bought the ticket from and it's an AA flight number which iberia has said that AA has to request the seats and they are refusing to do so. So this is ameicans fault. They also have the option of moving us flights to take care of the issue and they are refusing to do that.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The operating airline is Iberia? So this isn't "AA kicked pregnant wife and lap infant out of bulkhead", it's Iberia. And IB controls the seats on their flight. You need to deal with them, in my experience. (And seat issues with Iberia can get sticky. See Iberia's seat policies here,

and [u]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html[/u

AA might let you change to an AA marketed and operated flight, but unless you're on a more flexible fare basis than you indicate here, it's not likely to do so without change fees and charging the difference between the fare class you purchased and the fare classes available now.
yes I have attempted to get the Iberia PNR number but american will only give me a 5 digit number that doesn't show up in Iberia system. I'm pretty much stuck and american holds the keys and is unwilling to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.