Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AAdvantage Award for Iberia Airlines flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Securing AAdvantsge Awards on Iberia:

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

NOTE: AAdvantage awards on Iberia incur "Carrier Imposed Fees", which though lower than BA also trigger a variety of taxes, and government and airport imposed fees. See post #295 for an example.

NOTE: AA has been experiencing difficulties booking awards on Iberia periodically since 2017.

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance (assistance booking MileSAAver awards)
Link to AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd) (extensive award rules parsing and links)
Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)
AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Has anyone had issues with booking Iberia flights using AA miles? I see availability on BA.com and on Iberia.com (they do release more to their own members), called AA and they are not seeing it. Is Iberia space being blocked?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
BA phantom awards space again?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by ekartash
Has anyone had issues with booking Iberia flights using AA miles? I see availability on BA.com and on Iberia.com (they do release more to their own members), called AA and they are not seeing it. Is Iberia space being blocked?

why do u assume blocking? Does AA normally block other airline space?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:41 am

Yes, I'm having this exact problem. QF/BA/IB all show business availability on IB flights, but Expertflyer and AA phone line claims there is none. Is this a new problem?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Avios
Iberia is a great choice for transatlantic travel if you live near a hub (MIA,JFK,ORD etc).They have very good availability in business class and they also have have off peak awards at good value.i booked a business class ticket from MAD to MIA in June for 42.5k avios miles.Also no crazy fuel surcharges like BA.Also brand new planes with nice 1-2-1 business class seating.I always call AA with the flight numbers and avails and they have always been able to book it once I had the information??

Last edited by Tilto007; Jan 16, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
There was a problem last year when AA could not book IB award tickets. At the time, I was told that it was Iberia's problem. Eventually it was fixed. Could be the same issue.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
I'm having the same issue. AA sees some VERY SMALL subset of what BA or QF shows.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:33 pm

I recommended in another thread this possibility, which works for Etihad awards AA US can't see either, to see if it works:

"...A number of members have reported difficulties securing AA awards on Iberia because of some bug in their systems' interface. It's an existing problem they haven't been able to address and repair. The seats are most likely available, but not to AA US.

Another alternative I'd try: call Mind Pearl, actually AA's office for Australia and New Zealand located in Suva, Fiji, as they can often see award availability AA US can't, at least on one or two airlines (for Etihad, it's almost required); it's possible they might be able to put your Iberia award seats on hold or book them for you.

AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) (they both lead to the Suva office; just say "Bula!")

Insider FT tip. Try the Suva office. Request: let us know if it works, or not."

I've not tried it because I've not had the need - but it might be worth a try?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:42 am

I tried JDiver's recommendation and unfortunately, it did not work

Anyone else have luck?

I'm trying to book Business from MAD to ORD in May and it's proving harder than I thought. Strangely, you can actually book the award using Avios so I don't understand why it's not on AA.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I recommended in another thread this possibility, which works for Etihad awards AA US can't see either, to see if it works:

"...A number of members have reported difficulties securing AA awards on Iberia because of some bug in their systems' interface. It's an existing problem they haven't been able to address and repair. The seats are most likely available, but not to AA US.

Another alternative I'd try: call Mind Pearl, actually AA's office for Australia and New Zealand located in Suva, Fiji, as they can often see award availability AA US can't, at least on one or two airlines (for Etihad, it's almost required); it's possible they might be able to put your Iberia award seats on hold or book them for you.

AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) (they both lead to the Suva office; just say "Bula!")

Insider FT tip. Try the Suva office. Request: let us know if it works, or not."

I've not tried it because I've not had the need - but it might be worth a try?
Originally Posted by TravelKat14
I tried JDiver's recommendation and unfortunately, it did not work

Anyone else have luck?

I'm trying to book Business from MAD to ORD in May and it's proving harder than I thought. Strangely, you can actually book the award using Avios so I don't understand why it's not on AA.

Originally Posted by TravelKat14
I just tried this to book a 1 way MAD to ORD in Business on Iberia. BA not only shows availability, but it is possible to book online. Unfortunately, the Suva office could not see availability either (I also tried the UK office and Gold hotline). Anyone else have suggestions? I may just have to suck it up, use up the last of my Chase points and book with Avios and pay the high fees

Anyone have another suggestion?
OK, sorry. It was a "Hail Mary" attempt, now we know it doesn't work.

AA IT supposedly has been told by agents, and either the word hasn't really gotten to them or they're too "busy" to repair. If people have the time to Tweet, use Facebook, complain etc. maybe the message would get through?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
When I encountered this issue last year, I was told that the problem was on the Iberia side. True? Who knows.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:19 pm

Having what I think is the same issue as last year, and that also caused me serious anxiety about booking our Europe anniversary trip.

Trying to get from Chicago to Budapest on August 11 2017.

I see two itineraries that work very well:
(Iberia) ORD 16:55PM > MAD 7:45AM +1 MAD 11:45AM > BUD 14:50PM

or

(AA) ORD 17:10PM > LHR 6:50AM +1 (BA) LHR 8:50AM > BUD 12:20PM

I think I am seeing availability when I look on BA or Qantas, but when I call AA they don't see anything. I haven't looked at ExpertFlyer as I have yet to really use that tool.

Not sure how long to wait it out or if I should start thinking of a different trip/cities.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by bearsball88
(Iberia) ORD 16:55PM > MAD 7:45AM +1 MAD 11:45AM > BUD 14:50PM

I called AA again just to look at other options. We came back to the flight mentioned above and the rep that I was working with said that it was a codeshare, Iberia flight operated by AA.

She said that this would never be bookable using AA miles. Is that accurate? TIA, I don't understand codeshares well enough.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EP
Correct. U can't book codeshares as an award. Prime flights only.
I called AA again just to look at other options. We came back to the flight mentioned above and the rep that I was working with said that it was a codeshare, Iberia flight operated by AA.

She said that this would never be bookable using AA miles. Is that accurate? TIA, I don't understand codeshares well enough.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT

Huh? ORD-MAD is operated by IB, which should be fine, since AA can book the prime (non-codeshare) flight on the partner. However, BA's site only shows availability in premium economy.

Also, check availability to VIE -- 3 hours away from Budapest via train.

Last edited by linglingfool; Mar 13, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.