Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying IB / Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, Award Miles, related issues

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 19, 4:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Flying Iberia: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Iberia partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Iberia marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Air Nostrum
  • Iberia Express

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

NOTE: Vueling Airlines / VY is not a part of oneworld®. Iberia flights operated by Iberia would not accrue AA instruments.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Iberia marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archived posts through 2017 posts of Flying IB / Iberia: seat, ticket, PNR, earning, award issues (consolidated)

Note: more extensive existing threads on specific issues with Iberia

IB 23 May 2019 split thread into
ARCHIVE through 2017: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...solidated.html

AWARDS: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-airlines.html

SEAT SELECTION: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...tc-issues.html

Help avoid YQ Surcharge: AA award on BA / British & IB / Iberia (consolidated)

AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

AA vs. IB comparison / which is better, etc.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 24, 17, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Does anyone happen to know if the EQM earning on the new Iberia PE will be the same 1.5 as with BA? I'm assuming it would be but you never know.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Until AA publishes the updated earning chart, it's unknown.

Likely will be closer-in to when the routes start up - perhaps calling AA could get you an answer.
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Try DM or tweeting @AmericanAir Twitter team? Maybe they can find out and nudge AA to get this updated on dot com.
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Tweeted them was told to stay tuned for updates.
Old Jan 25, 17, 7:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by tski View Post
Tweeted them was told to stay tuned for updates.
Thanks for giving it a shot, as well as for sharing the result.

It sounds like they're still puzzling over it.
Old Jan 26, 17, 1:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
From what I've seen, AA seems to give for EQM earning partners, a blanket 150% EQM earning for ALL premium cabin fares (W/J/F cabins).
Old Jan 31, 17, 7:52 am

Question AA Earning on IB / Iberia T class (to merge)

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Looking to book an IB marketed BA operated premium economy flight from PHL to LHR, as it is much cheaper through IB than through BA. However, I just noticed only AA doesn't credit any miles for IB marketed 'T' class (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/iberia.jsp). Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 17, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ic99 View Post
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Looking to book an IB marketed BA operated premium economy flight from PHL to LHR, as it is much cheaper through IB than through BA. However, I just noticed only AA doesn't credit any miles for IB marketed 'T' class (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/iberia.jsp). Am I missing something?

Thanks!
AA has taken overly long to rectify this. Others who have called have had no success with any reasonable information about this issue.
Old Jan 31, 17, 5:43 pm

Thanks @JDiver for the quick response!
Old Jun 25, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
How do I find partner code for miles on an American Airline flight?

Hope to get help from the Iberia AA community! I want to book a trip on Iberia which will allow me to accrue miles on American Airlines. I have flights but do not know the booking code which would allow me to see if I get 25%, 50% or 100% of the partner miles. I've heard Iberia's customer service is painful. Does anyone know another way to find this out? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 18, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by adeleswart View Post
Hope to get help from the Iberia AA community! I want to book a trip on Iberia which will allow me to accrue miles on American Airlines. I have flights but do not know the booking code which would allow me to see if I get 25%, 50% or 100% of the partner miles. I've heard Iberia's customer service is painful. Does anyone know another way to find this out? Thanks in advance.
If you are already ticketed, did you receive a ticket receipt? If so, does it show your fare basis/booking class?

Is your AAdvantage number in the IB reservation record?
Old Jun 26, 18, 9:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Please follow this to the AA forum.

l'etoile
sr moderator
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:44 pm

I had some IB flights around europe this summer, all paid economy and as they credit I am laughing a bit. Most of them are posting as F. Pretty good deal as I booked all these under 9k Iberia bonus and then changed to my AA FF# at the gate. MAD-ATH wound up being fairly lucrative ;-)
Old May 23, 19, 11:44 pm

Split and updated thread, archived older posts.

NOTE: AA JBV partners AY, BA, IB, JL can now earn as many as 3 EQ Miles per mile flown.

Last edited by JDiver; May 24, 19 at 12:26 am
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Has anyone had issues booking online and entering your frequent flyer number on the Iberia site? When I go to enter my frequent flyer number it will only allow me to enter numbers and not letters. For example, if my AA number were 12AB345 it only enters 12345. Ways around this?

Search this Thread