Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: I have received an interim status offer + challenge and am
taking advantage of this offer and will take up the challenge too
60.00%
using my interim status but won’t attempt a challenge
20.00%
ignoring this offer - it’s just not for me
15.00%
Other: please post below
5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Status Challenge promotional (targeted) offer

Courtesy of eyi: Sign into your account and look under promotions to see if you're targeted.

Must sign up prior to travel. Ends 15 May 2019.

Courtesy of Pedro M:

“You've been selected to receive free American Airlines AAdvantage® Gold status through May 15, 2019, where you'll experience all the benefits of Gold status. Plus, elevate your experience with ten 500-mile upgrades just for registering — no strings attached.

Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?
Earn the following Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) between the date you register and May 15, 2019.

Elite status level - EQMs needed - EQDs needed

Gold 25,000 7,000 $3,000 $850

Platinum 50,000 12,500 $6,000 $1,500

Platinum Pro 75,000 20,500 $9,000 $2,400

Executive Platinum 100,000 35,000 $15,000 $5,000”

There is now second targeted promotional.
Based on reports here, it requires travel by 25 Sep 2019, and provides status through Jan 2021.
Print Wikipost

AA comp interim status + challenge offer / targeted promo 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Another data point: Asia based and never fly with AA. Have sitting 50k miles due to Hilton promo, e-Rewards, AA shopping portal etc. Was offered Platinum Pro. Hope can burn most of them by May.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by POAflyer
I heard reports that the email actually says "keep Gold status or earn higher status by flying blah blah blah until May 15". Does anyone know if they would make me a Platinum if for example I reach 12,500 EQMs and $1,500 EQD by the deadline but I originally only got the Gold offer?
Originally Posted by POAflyer
Someone forwarded me the email (since I didn't receive it) for the Gold offer and it does say "Want to keep Gold status or earn an even higher status through January 2020?", so it looks like they might have just marketed it with the status that they think you are likely to achieve but in the end if you got any of the offers but reach 35,000 EQMs and $5,000 EQD you would actually become an EXP. Does that make sense?

Correct. The promotion's lower thresholds are enticements to go for a higher status than what was initially offered, but based on who AA has targeted it doesn't seem likely that many will.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Alex_I
It looks like a rather large % of AA flyers got one or another challenge. All this appears to be a rather pathetic attempt of AA to boost some booking and revenue when they are suffering from a poor financial performance. With all these newly minted Elite flyers I am wondering how long the upgrade lists will be this month? All this could also mean that the main cabin extrAA seats will disappear quick....
" If everyone’s an elite flier, no one is." DELTA AIRLINES.
I agree AA is trying to boost revenue since their stock price is trending down. Smart idea, doesn't cost them anything but will likely cause backlash among elite flyers who earn it the hard way. Case in point, my wife has business trip upcoming to Atlanta in a few months. Would just likely fly Delta but we at least looked at American now that she has Platinum Pro upgraded status. If she had chance to fly first class, we may think about it but likely not since Atlanta is non stop for her. But the temporary elite status had us thinking AA for flights next time we travel.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
No offer for me.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:43 pm

Still no offer for us... I have fingers crossed we get it though!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
I agree AA is trying to boost revenue since their stock price is trending down. Smart idea, doesn't cost them anything but will likely cause backlash among elite flyers who earn it the hard way. Case in point, my wife has business trip upcoming to Atlanta in a few months. Would just likely fly Delta but we at least looked at American now that she has Platinum Pro upgraded status. If she had chance to fly first class, we may think about it but likely not since Atlanta is non stop for her. But the temporary elite status had us thinking AA for flights next time we travel.
PLT Pro would have at least some chances for upgrades depending on the routes. As EXP I was clearing upgrades about 50% lately....
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Ugh.. i fly about 20 segments a year, barely qualify for Gold. My flying has increased dramatically since August with a new job.

My wife, who hardly ever flies but flew 3 times since July and has 700,000 AA miles (almost all cc), gets the offer free platinum through May with 12,500 and $1,500 challenge to keep through 2020. At least I can have her use her 20 free upgrade stickers when she flies with me and we get the rare upgrade from gold.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
million miler LT gold with UA, haven’t flown AA in years, but have the credit card. I got the plat offer, mr kk (also lifetime gold through my status) has some miles banked but has no CC and hasn’t been on AA in years either, got gold...I’ve registered him but haven’t registered myself yet, trying to figure out if I should ‘save’ it for some time in the future.

as a data point, his account now shows gold status, but the 500 mile upgrades haven’t yet been desposited.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
It is never a good sign when you are doing discounted ‘challenges’ for EXP.

Also a good sign that Parker’s ‘chickens’ are already coming home to roost in terms of alienated elites that are booking elsewhere. Someone hit the panic button on this one with even further delusion/devaluation to AA’s program that will be affecting those that have stayed. I also guess there is not much confidence in those ‘exciting’ new 150/200/250K MQM EXP benefits of gifting of gold or platinum keeping ‘lowly’ EXP’s around either in 2019.

Unless we see something like this from UA or DL, it will certainly be a sign of some panic IMHO.

Personally, I booked another 5K of airfare last week for Feb - with none of it on AA.

Last edited by CoMooter; Jan 13, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by silverthief2
Correct. The promotion's lower thresholds are enticements to go for a higher status than what was initially offered, but based on who AA has targeted it doesn't seem likely that many will.
I don't know about that. My Gold email didn't have any offer for earning higher status. It just said "Keep your status through January 31, 2020, by earning:
$850 Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) and
7,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs)" So if I earn 12,500 EQM I have no idea if I'll be given Plat or not.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
A never-statused friend who hasn't flown on AA since May 2017 got a Gold offer.

I have Gold that's expiring this month, haven't flown on AA since November 2017 (managed to make Gold and flew zero flights with it) and did not get an offer. But, I also have a French address on my account, so I doubt I'm a priority target for US airlines anyways.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PPro
My father who flew AA once in the last few years got the offer, so it appears they basically sent this to everyone who has an AAdvantage number who hasn't achieved status on their own.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HiAperture
My father who flew AA once in the last few years got the offer, so it appears they basically sent this to everyone who has an AAdvantage number who hasn't achieved status on their own.
AA hasn't comped status to tens of millions of infrequent AA members. FT assuredly has thousands of AA members without status, but this thread is barely at 100 replies.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage / HHonors /Hyatt
I have not received promo status as well, have been with AA for a decade with different statuses from Gold to EXP .... Go wonder ...
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:37 pm

My wife and I got the offer and accepted it. We both have the citi AA cards but not much history or status with AA. But the offer came at a good time as we are scheduled MCO-EGE later this month and the gold status allowed us to improve our seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.