Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Voluntary Award Changes Questionsfor carrier, co-terminal, date, destination, add / drop a segment, origin, routing, cancellation AAnytime <-> MileSAAver and other changes

See the current thread here, please.

NOTE: For involuntary award changes (caused by the operating carriers), see Involuntary Award Changes / What To Do (merged threads).

Ordinarily, one must call to request or make changes to award tickets.

Award changes, ordinary

NOTE: More extensive listing of terms and conditions are listed in oneworld and other all partner awards rules, Information 2015 on

Award carrier, connection, date or routing changes: As long as origin and destination (but read on for exceptions such as first / last segment) remain the same, change / award redeposit fees are usually waived for awards under certain circumstances when date, connection, routing or carrier changes are made But:
Airline / carrier changes incur no change or redeposit fees as long as you do not try to change between all AA oneworld airlines and non-oneworld airlines or vice versa.

E.g. an AA award such as SEA-HNL-SYD using AS can not be changed to use JL without requiring award redeposit. An award using AA LAX-HKG can be changed to JL via NRT or CX Without redeposit ing miles.

If Maximum Permitted Miles (usually 125% of the most direct available routing) for an award is exceeded, two awards may be charged

or

MSC fare requirements: The most significant or prevailing carrier, usually the one with the transoceanic sector, must offer an unconstructed fare between desired origin and destination; if a fare would require "married segments", two awards may be required.
Award validity: Awards must be used within one year of original booking. For travel beyond that, the award miles will have to be redeposited and new awards secured.

Award cancellations can be by phone or online, but online cancellation requires separate action to reinstate the miles. Canceling online does not request or result in miles redeposit.

Award miles reinstatement: Redeposit fees are waived for Executive Platinum members. See here for more information on award miles reinstatement.

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes and fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Co-terminals: For award purposes, there are no co-terminals; changing co-terminal airports (MIA and FLL, PBI; JFK, LGA, EWR etc.) will incur a $150 change fee. See this thread for detail on award miles redeposit.

An award using AS, FJ, HA or TN to South Pacific (e.g. AKL, SYD) can not be changed to AA or QF without requiring award redeposit (or vice versa).

Dropping segments: Awards made on AA or / and "all partner" carriers will allow changes mentioned above without requiring redeposit fees. Instances of dropping an origin segment can be allowed, or a final segment - as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards); changing the mileage (miles required) of the award claimed or the number of awards claimed.

Segments can be dropped as long as doing so does not change the destination zone (or sub-zone, in the case of intra-North America awards). If you are refused, refer agents to the in-house memo/advisory dated 02/03/11 entitled "Dropping OWFA segments." (guv1976)

As JonNYC posted:

This document was current as of December 2014:

For permitted changes and fees, see this post in the airline partner award thread.

See TravelingBetter.com here and illustrations here.

If the award is AA and oneworld, changes may be made as long as the main / governing /Most Significant Carrier makes an unconstructed fare on the award routing and the governing fare's carrier is not changed to one not offering such a fare.

Close-in booking fee: Changes made to bring travel to under 21 days from award issue will incur close-in booking fees of $75.

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Partner changes: If the award includes non-oneworld partners such as AS, EY, FJ or TN, or a oneworld carrier award is changed to include a non-oneworld carrier, or vice versa, significant fees will be incurred ($150).

"Upgrading" class of service by using miles requires redepositing the original award and issuing a new one for the higher class if service. AA will waive the deposit fee on the redeposited award, and will not charge for this. (However, taxes may differ, such as going from the discounted U.K. Air Passenger Duty to the full APD if upgrading from Y / PE to J; if there are higher taxes abd fees imposed by the new fare, the passenger is charged for those.)

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account). However, SAAver awards canceled for AAnytime awards, or changing to a higher class of service, will not incur redeposit fees.

Changes to your outbound travel date, resulting in a departure within 21 days -

Close-in booking fee: A $75 USD award processing charge will apply for a confirmed change to the date on an AAdvantage MileSAAver and AAnytime award ticket if the change results in a new outbound travel date that is within 21 days of the original booking date (waived for AAdvantage elite members using miles from their account).

Contact AAdvantage Reservations to change your itinerary, pay the applicable charge and have your ticket reissued prior to travel.

Canceling Awards / Reinstating Award Tickets
(Waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account)

Award class changes: MileSAAver to AAnytime changes generally incur no fees; conversely, AAnytime to MileSAAver awards generally will.

Award cabin class "upgrades" (e.g. Y to J): If the change made is an increase of miles to another cabin class, fees are not normally charged (but some government required fees such as UK Air Passenger Duty, airport passenger facility fees, etc. may change).

Redepositing awards incurs a fee of $150 other than for Executive Platinum members redepositing to their accounts. If two or more awards are being redeposited to the same account at the same time, the fees are $150 for the first award, $25 for every award thereafter. Note the awards do not have to share the same PNR, though some less knowledgeable agents will insist so.

Note: given a 120 hr / 5 day hold is offered, there is no right to “Free” cancellation (without redeposit) within 24 hours of securing the award. OTOH, mere date changes to a year from Booking are free of charge in most instances.

Please see: State of the award reinstatement fee (Nov 2015 - clarifying)

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Link to 2012-2014 archive of older posts on this topic

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2015-16 Award change date change route all changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Beyond bad service, such that an assessment of service proficiency doesn't enter the picture.
I doubt that many people would be lodging complaints that they managed to get awards booked that they shouldn't have been able to

Tha agent(s) were only correct once told they were incorrect.
The agent was correct that the routing for the journey was not valid

Now that you know that the agent is correct that the new routing is not permitted , you need to decide what to do

e.g. try and book BKK-KUL-MEL , buy SYD-MEL or find availability on a flight to Australia where the agent will permit the circuitous routing within Australia or cancel the booking
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Getting a fee free refund of miles given that the issue is due to a voluntary requirement to change dates seems a bit hopeful
You seem to be avoiding the issue of fault. As such, I thank you for your helpful expert information and bid you adieu.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:15 pm

You seem to be avoiding the issue of fault. As such, I thank you for your helpful expert information and bid you adieu.
Less avoiding it but more that I am not sure what fault you have a need to attribute other than possibly misdescribing the reason why it was invalid

The airlines allowed you to make a booking , despite it being not the direct routing - assumedly due to the fact that for CX and QF fares to Australia, they are calculated on MPM

Looking at the MPM+25 for BKK-HKG-SYD-ADL-MEL , it seems to come in just under the allowance. If it met the MPM, then without a human analysing it, would not be surprised that it was allowed.

This was successfully ( I assume ) ticketed

There would have been no issue travelling on that ticket

A voluntary change was performed due to a need to change date ( as stated in post 1242 )

For the date required, the original routing was not available

A voluntary rebooking of BKK-KUL-SYD-ADL-MEL was made for the new date

With the new booking, the airlines changed and , assumedly based on routing, the governing carrier changed

Based on the Asia-Australia flight, the governing carrier would seem likely to be Malaysia Airlines

MH's routing rules are very specific. Travel to MEL is only permitted as KUL-MEL and not via SYD.

AA refused to reissue this as a single award. This seems to be perfectly valid.

The potential mistake of the agent seems only to describe the inability to describe this as being due to it not being a direct routing rather than clearly highlighting that MH doesn't allow domestic transfers in Australia for that journey

Maybe you could write to AA and highlight the incorrect information being provided - I doubt that this will provide any long term solution since such mistakes seem commonplace. It isn't good that such incorrect reasoning is given, but doesn't take away that the core information that the route is not permitted was correct

You can get to Sydney on that award with no problem on that date but to get to Melbourne will need to change airlines to one that is mileage based if availale or change routing to KUL-MEL if available or cancel

What fault other than description of reason to refuse that rebooking is there?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Less avoiding it but more that I am not sure what fault you have a need to attribute other than possibly misdescribing the reason why it was invalid

The airlines allowed you to make a booking , despite it being not the direct routing - assumedly due to the fact that for CX and QF fares to Australia, they are calculated on MPM
"They are saying that the original flights were ticketed in error and that they can't make the same error by reinstating them."
This clearly describes a fault. If you don't see that, and find that an offer for me to rectify their error with a replacement that isn't close to being the same, then as an independent forum contributor, you aren't being an honest broker.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
"They are saying that the original flights were ticketed in error and that they can't make the same error by reinstating them."
This clearly describes a fault. If you don't see that, and find that an offer for me to rectify their error with a replacement that isn't close to being the same, then as an independent forum contributor, you aren't being an honest broker.
I had a similar thing happen to me earlier this year on a pre-deval award. It was orginally SFO-DFW-CDG-DOH-MCT, and I wanted to change to a new date with a new routing SFO-JFK-MIA-CDG-DOH-MCT after 3/22. The agent originally changed without saying anything, but a few days later, after calling in to check on the re-ticketing, I find out the new routing is not allowed (not sure why, as governing carrier is still AA and within MPM + 25% I believe). Anyways, didn't want to argue, but in my case, the agent was helpful and was able to get back the original routing I had but on the new date I wanted (probably because it was on AA and maybe because I asked nicely ).

I think in your case, it is reasonable to ask for a waiver on the redeposit of miles, since it was ticketed in error. The other option, maybe, is to see if they will allow the original award if SYD-ADL-MEL is replaced with SYD-MEL.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:09 pm

If award flights are still available for the original flights on the original date, then I an surprised that the airline will not honour that booking

If the new date is required, then you need to travel based on the rules of the available journey
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Dave Noble and others have been beyond patient trying to troubleshoot this issue with you, despite the piecemeal dribbling of relevant information (and in one case, outright refusal to provide relevant information). And now you resort to blaming strangers on a forum for your problem.

My suspicion is that perhaps there were also long connections built in to the original itinerary, and if you had to go directly to MEL then you would have to skip ADL and SYD or purchase tickets to visit those cities, and that is why you are so upset about this change.

Unfortunately, stuff like this happens. Perhaps a more gracious attitude would go a long way to getting your miles back without a redeposit fee, should you desire it, or finding a routing that works. That alternative itinerary that you have your heart set on? Not gonna happen. Everyone here is telling you why. Focus on finding a solution.

As mentioned above, flights between MEL and SYD / ADL are very inexpensive ($60-100) and you might even find Avios availability.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:05 pm

I currently have an issue where I booked tickets the day before award redemption changes kicked in (March 21st). However,the tickets booked at the new rate rather than the rate I was quoted on the phone. In email exchanges, AA Customer Service refused to honor the old rate

Do I have any recourse? Is it worthwhile to send a letter to their AA office, or twitter, or something else...?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by brito11
I currently have an issue where I booked tickets the day before award redemption changes kicked in (March 21st). However,the tickets booked at the new rate rather than the rate I was quoted on the phone. In email exchanges, AA Customer Service refused to honor the old rate

Do I have any recourse? Is it worthwhile to send a letter to their AA office, or twitter, or something else...?
Forget about emailing AA, writing a letter, twitter, etc. You need to be calling AA to get this corrected. Had you called in March right after you discovered the issue it would have been an easy fix. However now that it's 4 months later it will be difficult to prove you called to ticket the original award on March 21st and not the 22nd. Good luck...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Forget about emailing AA, writing a letter, twitter, etc. You need to be calling AA to get this corrected. Had you called in March right after you discovered the issue it would have been an easy fix. However now that it's 4 months later it will be difficult to prove you called to ticket the original award on March 21st and not the 22nd. Good luck...
It was my lapse in letting this go. I'd contacted AA by email right after the ticket was issued, but then waited until June to contact Customer Relations. I do have email logs of the situation.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by js80
Looking to avoid a redeposit fee on a one-way economy AAnytime booking for BOS-MIA-AUA this coming December (and which I booked back in April). I'll wait and hope for a schedule change, but if that doesn't work, could I just keep changing the flight dates by a few days until a snowstorm inevitably arrives that results in a flight cancellation?

I've seen advice that to avoid redeposit fees, it's best to book a new flight as far out in time as possible and hope for a schedule change. But don't I increase my chances of a cancellation by booking more near term flights continually? As far as I can tell, the 21-day close-in change fee applies only with respect to the original booking date, not the re-booking date. (Of course, if I'm wrong about that, that would destroy this plan).
Bumping this (since it quickly got buried) to see if anyone has any input...
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by js80
Looking to avoid a redeposit fee on a one-way economy AAnytime booking for BOS-MIA-AUA this coming December (and which I booked back in April). I'll wait and hope for a schedule change, but if that doesn't work, could I just keep changing the flight dates by a few days until a snowstorm inevitably arrives that results in a flight cancellation?

I've seen advice that to avoid redeposit fees, it's best to book a new flight as far out in time as possible and hope for a schedule change. But don't I increase my chances of a cancellation by booking more near term flights continually? As far as I can tell, the 21-day close-in change fee applies only with respect to the original booking date, not the re-booking date. (Of course, if I'm wrong about that, that would destroy this plan).

Bumping this (since it quickly got buried) to see if anyone has any input...
Hoping for a schedule change and hoping for a snowstorm irrops situation are 2 different things. The chances of a schedule change are much greater for flights booked way out in the future.

But coming from BOS, you're correct in that it's very likely there will be at least a few storms in any given winter that will cause AA to issue travel waivers. You could move your flight to as far out in the future as possible. Then watch the weather, if it appears a storm could happen change to an affected date before the waiver is issued, then cancel if it happens.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:41 pm

Quick update on my experience with trying to get on a different JL flight after they changed the SFO - HND to +14 hours.

I called them today (little over 2 weeks after my initial request with JL) and the AA rep told me that my request had changed from pending to "wait listed". I've never heard of anything like that before. Doesn't sound like anything worth counting on (especially I had to proactively find out that I had been wait listed). Oh well - doesn't look like I'll get to see much of Tokyo.

Anyone else have any updates with that flight/JL?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Switching only part of AAwards Booking

AAGold here. I have a saver AAwards booking and wanted to some advice on how to change only part of the booking. Currently ticketed for 4 Econ seats:

Out:
Leg1: 3/4 early morning: DFW-MIA
Leg2: 3/4 noontime: MIA-CUR

Return:
Leg3: 3/10 morning: CUR-MIA
Leg4: 3/11 morning: MIA-DFW

Earlier when i called to change leg 2, AA gave me a little grief because while MIA-CUR that had 4 open award slots, the DFW-MIA part didn't. Initially they said no because Leg 1 and Leg2 were considered a single booking. But after some time onhold and a discussion with a supervisor they said they were able to update leg2 to what is listed above (after releasing my original and rebooking my ticket). I'm now trying to change leg 4 to leave on the same day as leg 3. Here are my options, let me know if i'm missing any options:

A. Keep seraching often and find a new full return (leg3 & leg4) with 4 seats and rebook

B. Find just a new leg4 with 4 seats and call AA and do the begging like last time and hope that my leg3 seats re-appear after being released.

C. Hope for a change in flight times in Leg 3 or leg 4 (maybe given how long from now), and then call AA and request better times because of the change of times

D. Wait till the day before my return and do a same-day-confirmed-standby to move to a better leg4 flight.

E. Rebook with AAnytime Award for the flight i want for the 4 seats.

Am i missing any other option?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You shouldn't need to see availability on a segment you already have confirmed, only on segments you want to change to. If that's your concern, you must have had a bad AAgent. Option B is the best course of action, but there's no need to beg or hope anything reappears. You're just changing the itinerary, not canceling the award and rebooking. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.